Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Picture of The Week : 06/21/09-07/04/09 #68
Posted By: Bramela, 06-28-2009, 01:24 PM

I thought I would take up the running this week.

The past few weeks have been a great success with high volume of top class shots.
Lets keep it going folks.

Last week's POTW

Thanks Dave for another very successful thread past week.

I purchased a new K20d this week, so as soon as it arrives it looks like I better get some results up for viewing!!

All of the past POTW's are now linked below under the name of the host. So it's easy to go back and view some past weeks.

Rules as before:

1) No theme just your favorite stuff.
2) Let's keep it to about 4-6 images per post just so the thread doesn't get too big each week.
3) Any Pentax camera is fine, film, P&S, DSLR (or Samsung DSLR)
4) Date : Sunday 06/14/09 to Sunday 06/28/09. Enter anything you shot last week or during this current week until the thread closes.

Previous hosts:

Previous hosts: 1 Peter Zack, 2 Eaglerapids, 3 rmtagg, 4 Peter Zack, 5 daacon, 6 Bramela, 7 mtnbearhug, 8 dantuyhoa, 9 gawan, 10 roentarre, 11 daacon, 12 Kris, 13 mtnbearhug, 14 SCGushue, 15 daacon, 16 maxwell1295, 17 dantuyhoa, 18 daacon, 19 maxwell1295 19(2) daacon, 20 Bramela, 21 Syb, 22 maxwell1295, 23 maxwell1295, 24 dantuyhoa, 25 Gawan, 26 Peter Zack, 27 borno, 28 daacon, 29 gawan, 30 Damn Brit, 31 maxwell1295 32 maxwell1295 , 33 dantuyhoa, 34 daacon, 35 Peter Zack, 36 Damn Brit, 37 Borno, 38 Kevint, 39 Peter Zack, 40 Timbo13, 41 daacon, 42 daacon, 43 gawan, 44 dantuyhoa, 45 daacon, 46 rense, 47 daacon, 48 Rense, 49 borno, 50 Rense, 51 daacon, 52 Peter Zack, 53 Peter Zack, 54 dadipentak, 55 David Whiteley, 56 planedriver, 57 daacon,58 bramela, 59 daacon, 60 gawan, 61 virgilr, 62 daacon, 63 RickL 64. Peter Zack 65. Peter Zack 66. Causey 67. daacon 68, Bramela

Here is one I took this week, just to get the ball rolling again

Last edited by Peter Zack; 06-28-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Views: 15,636
06-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
What a great start to the week. Some really great shots already.

Andras : You are becoming the expert on boat shots. Once again they are really nice captures..
Georg : I would have let you take the running this week if I had known.
I just highlight the required section, which is the part of the text shown every week, then copy and paste.
Love your shots. The colours in the shot of the dancers is brilliant. What lens did you use for the bird shot. That is very nicely captured.
Eccs : That goldfinch is a great photo. What a beautiful bird to have in the wild.(I assume it is wild?) Love the hummingbird shot. Great action capture.
Jeff : Those treats look really scrumptious.
Oldschool : Old sailing vessels make really top subjects. There are so many different shots to be found.
The fireworks shot is well done. Is that one exposure or multiple?

Great support for the thread this week guys, lets keep them coming. I hope to get a few in the next couple of days to add to the already excellent shots.

06-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Oldschool : Old sailing vessels make really top subjects. There are so many different shots to be found.
The fireworks shot is well done. Is that one exposure or multiple?
It's one exposure in manual mode, F8 and 1/6th of a second, hand held. We have more fireworks on Saturday and I think I'll bring the tripod for that.
06-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bruce said:
QuoteQuote:
I just highlight the required section, ...
That's what I did and now finally changed my personal profile to 'WYSIWYG' editing and bang! it's working now.
QuoteQuote:
What lens did you use for the bird shot. That is very nicely captured.
Thanks a lot. It's a newly aquired SMC-F 70-210. I still have to learn how to use this lens and the AF correctly (there's always the 'MF' switch though :-)
That bird is of course not-so-wild and I take my hats off to those real wild bird pics as I know that's worlds apart from what I'm doing.

Oldschool, I guess you are right there with that fireworks shot, looks quite good imo. Went through my fireworks folder and it had 1 to 2 seconds exposures with according iso and f-stop. Tripod and cable release and/or mirror lock up.

Georg (the other)

PS: The above shot is through the window. Open window would always look like this (blazing fast reaction from the mirror slap)

Last edited by georgweb; 06-29-2009 at 04:30 PM.
06-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Thanks Bruce your comment now here is something different...planes

during descent to Geneva in Switzerland skies opened up with the Sun shining on to the highest mountain in Europe: the Mont Blanc (15536 feet high)(no cropping no PP through the window... with my newly acquired F35-105...ohh I like this lens).

at Geneva airport planes arrived an took off:

on the way home captured some clouds:

it was late when we arrived home:

and before you would think I can only take pictures of boats and from planes
here's a bike

Andras

06-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

thanks for hosting, Bruce!

Lots of nice stuff already! I have been very busy with life and there's been a couple of weeks of gray rainy days here so not much photography.

did manage these while visiting a friend in Gloucester, MA - taken in a big hurry as
dinner was about to go on the table and I had to wrangle the screen out of the
window.

Schooner "Thomas E Lannon"

boats at anchor (cropped to pano format)
06-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Here is a tricolored Heron I got on vacation last week

06-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Some great pics coming in,some from me
punk pigeon

fungi in the park

peadl power

neighbourhood flower watch

A tired old VW Combi at the local garage

06-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Backyard with a Bee in a Box

I took an AlienBee B800 and 24" softbox out to the garden Sunday to try and impersonate the Sun while I was BBQing some chicken.

06-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oldschool : thats a well done shot of the fireworks with a single exposure. Hope we get to see the ones you plan taking this weekend.
Georg : I am glad it worked for you. I hoped that it would work out ok.
Andras : I just love that aerial shot of the mountains, that is spectacular. Nothing to compare with that around here
Tim : they may have been hastily snapped but those shots are nice. What a beautiful area.
Tom : A couple of very nice heron shots. I would like to have more time and opportunity to pursue water bird shots.
Johnno : The crested pidgeons are usually very flitty around here. One sign of you and they are off. Those fungi are a great colour. Never seen them like that before. I really like the nasturtium flowers, very nice shot.
Venturi : Congratulat ions on the brilliant macro shots. I think every one of them is a great shot. Well done!
06-30-2009, 02:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

A little trick for the crested pigeons Bruce, once you spot them move towards them very slowly, I keep the camera up and take pics taking a step at a time. Any movements you make will spook them unless you move very slowly.
06-30-2009, 08:18 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Venturi- Phenominally well done macros
Andras- Boats , planes , motorcycles it doesn't matter you have an interesting perspective of your subjects. The boat below is a lousey picture but it does illustrate a traditional "Carolina Express Sportfish" . The big bow flare and shearline were developed to keep the boat dry in a heavy sea. These were originally built with strip plank juniper . In recent years many builders have switched to cold mold plywood construction.

Last edited by seacapt; 07-26-2009 at 07:12 PM.
06-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #27
Veteran Member

A couple from me before I'm away from a computer for the next couple weeks. The Oregon coast is calling.

Spent Sunday at the University of Utah to use a free community pass at the natural history museum, the museum of fine arts and a show garden.

Click on image for larger version.

Utah Museum of Natural History

Both with the DA SMC 18-250 mm F/3.5-6.3

1. Amethyst closeup:

2. Dinosaur hall:

Utah Museum of Fine Arts

No flash photography allowed here, so I used the SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4

3. Shiva.

4. Bronze close-up - really like the Bokeh here.

Red Butte Gardens

Back to the DA SMC 18-250 mm F/3.5-6.3

5. Sierra Columbine.

6. Kids running up the hill - so they can roll down.

06-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Some Pelicans

06-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Bruce - thanks for picking up the next POTW thread - and congrats on the new K20D I think you will enjoy it. Beautiful dew drops on the flowers - nice start.

Peter - ah the red clay of PEI - lovely shot was this at dusk ?

Bubbabob - neat shot I love the way the sun stars under the wing.

Light Horseman - great shot of the parental duties. I would agree that combination is a real winner.

seacapt - I love the big boats and little boats - nice series. Man that first one looks expensive.

Tran - the cookies were ohh so good (he actually sent me home backed cookies) with two teenagers are home they did not last long let me tell ya. Cool IR.

Andras - I like the framing on #2 my eyes gravitate from bottom to top.

Georg - no worries you can always start the next one. Great closeup of the bird - and I agree that is a serioulsy colorful dress.

eccs19 - wow the colors really pop on that shot. Yellows are stunning. Teh Robin and humming bird are good shots as well.

Jeff - nice ODF in #1 and framing in #2 as for the rest good thing I just ate - but that looks tempting.

Last edited by daacon; 06-30-2009 at 08:58 PM.
06-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #30
Veteran Member

and ...........

OldSchool - awsome fireworks well done. I love the old ship as well.

Georg - sometimes shutter speeds have a cool effect I like that one.

Andras - nice seires but that mountain shot is by far my favorite - what a view , but being a pilot you must see a lot of that. haha nice Bike shot as well.

Timbo13 - arrrh the old Schooner - lovey shot. Looks like they could from days gone by.

Tom - I have never seen a heron with that many colors well done.

xxjjohnno - nice seris I think I like the fungi shot the best, but that old VW is a close second.

Jim - ahh the macro world is soo cool ! Great series well done.

Seacapt - another million dollar boat nice flower as well.

scatron - looks like a cool place would like to see it one day - I love Dinosaurs just a kid at heart. Nice playfull shot at the end.

Tom - great pellican shots - one of the worlds better fisherman for sure.

I have a 'few' ahah from our weekend getaway I will post some soon cause I know you can't wait haha