Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly challenge #101-Still life winners.
Posted By: Peter Zack, 06-29-2009, 07:51 PM

Well I have to say I had a hard time judging this set of photos. Very good entries from the group.

So honourable mentions in no particular order:
And, I liked the shot. I wish the lens flare wasn't in the upper right and that the chair was not partly blocking the doorway. Otherwise a very interesting shot.

mingdie. Very good theme and shot. My only issue was the fly is tough to see against the blade. I wish it stood out more, Maybe a different coloured fly would have worked better. The reel in the background is a nice touch.

Bruce. I like this shot. Nicely set up. My only issue was the flash light is somewhat harsh and more diffused light would have created a softer shadow. Otherwise a great concept.

Ansbert, This is a fine shot. I like everything about it. A couple of comments on the crop and conversion. The conversion seems a touch flat. Not enough contrast to my eye, Blacks don't seem to pop enough. I might consider a tighter crop as the black part in the upper right is a bit distracting. Excellent image though that with a couple of touch ups would be a winner.

Between these 2 it was tough to decide.
Name:  5chillies3sm.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  36.3 KB
Third Place Very good and really 2nd and 3rd were a tie. First just captured a better mood for me. So the choice was more based on taste than on a technical aspect. I love that the peppers are all in various states. I only gave you 3rd because I felt the shot was a touch flat. It needs a touch of contrast to make the peppers pop a bit more.
Name:  IMGP2374-01WhyKnot.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  34.6 KB
Second Place atupdate Only because I just liked the mood better in the winners shot. Frankly you executed the shot perfectly and nothing could make it better. Well done.
Name:  2614484016_7f57d5356d.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  106.1 KB

First place K McCall, this shot is excellent. Simple and really has a great mood. Love the one book down, love the PP work. IMO nothing could make this better. Congrats on the win and next week is yours to run!

Views: 2,935
06-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats to the top three- I would have given the book shot #1 ranking also.

Not to complain, but would really appreciate your critique of my shot, Peter- of the venetian bon bons. I understand if you didn't want to comment on all the shots, though: I see you only commented on those you felt were "contenders". Just wondering, was all.

Anyways, looking forward to more challenges and seeing such wonderful work!
06-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the mention, funny you mentioned the flare, I actually removed a more visible one prior to posting the shot but simply didnt see the one you mentioned until I looked at the shot afterwards, I must have had the brightness of my monitor set too low

Congrats to Keitha for the well deserved win
06-30-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to the winners and thank you for the comment Peter.

The book shot is great and deserved the win.

Cheers
Eddie

06-30-2009, 12:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks so much, Peter, I'm honored! There were some cracker shots submitted, and I don't envy you your decision.

Now, on to the next challenge!
06-30-2009, 02:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats to winning shots. All very much deserved.
Peter : I agree with your comments on my shot. I was rather aware of that. Maybe I will handle it a bit better next time.
06-30-2009, 03:01 AM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats Keitha.
Well deserved.
You've got a great eye.
06-30-2009, 04:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
Congrats to the top three- I would have given the book shot #1 ranking also.

Not to complain, but would really appreciate your critique of my shot, Peter- of the venetian bon bons. I understand if you didn't want to comment on all the shots, though: I see you only commented on those you felt were "contenders". Just wondering, was all.

Anyways, looking forward to more challenges and seeing such wonderful work!
I don't mind making some comments on the shot, but consider I'm just giving an opinion. Others may have a different viewpoint.

I pondered over this shot. I liked the subject and think it offers some interesting possibilities. What I thought was, the background needed to be cleaner and more "blank" In my mind a still life will look like a setup shot much of the time. and there will be no other elements that take your eye away from the subject. The blue bonbon was the subject and it's cut off on the left side as well. I would have liked to see all of it.

In this type of shot, the rule of 3rds and many other compositional rules can be tough to follow so that's not a concern. Make the subject the primary focus of attention as much as possible. I can see that this is a tough item to do with others in the bowl but lets say you had 4 yellow ones and the blue one. You shot from a higher angle and had a clean back ground. You could have the blue one jump out at the viewer against the other yellow ones. Or something along those lines.

06-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Peter-

Very well observed and completely in context with the shot. I understand your take on the rule of 3rds as well as subject "awareness" in the shot. I'm very much an "object" shooter, and it was tough to pick an image for this competition. This was something more recent that I chose for the fun of the evolution of what I'm shooting.

Your suggestions are great- I think one of the reasons I used the goblet as backdrop was to give a sense of color balance- with the blues and yellows, the green OOF goblet was something I felt pulled the shot together with its particular tones.

Thanks again- I do appreciate your taking the time for posting your comments!
06-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
No problem, and remember it's only my opinion. Others may think differently. I always find when someone looks at my stuff, they see things I missed and it helps me to see areas of improvement. We all have a tendancy to look at our own stuff with 'rose coloured glasses' and think it's just right the way it is.

It's why I think everyone should join in to these little challenges. It's a good learning experience for both the judge and the shooters. I've done this 4 times now and every time, I learn new stuff and get new ideas. You don't have to be the winner to get a lot out of the effort.
06-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Good shooting all! Peter, I enjoy the thoughtful commentary.