Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
PROJECT 52-2-01 Architecture: Cemetery or Graveyard - Winners
Posted By: daacon, 07-12-2009, 07:48 PM

First off thanks to Danloc78 (Dan) who took us through 52 weeks of adventures last year and started this thread. I like these kind of 'contests' as they make us go and shoot with a purpose. Second a big thanks to mithrandir (Rob) who picked up the gauntlet with aplomb and has already pre-determined the next 52 weeks. I hope we all enjoy the next 52 weeks as much as the last.

I am hardly qualified to judge much of anything but the task has fallen on me and I will do in the most subjective way I can ha-ha.

The assignment this week was looks at Architecture, specifically in a Cemetery or Graveyard setting. So it was not only a Cemetery but the Architecture within it. I did find all shots met one or the other, but not all shots met both criteria. That said on to the judging...

Honourable mentions in no particular order

Georgweb - not eligible but still a nice shot. It certainly qualifies on the cemetery portion. The rows of crosses, well kept grass and dried flowers all leave a sense of loss.

ceericks - that indeed looks like a unique structure. I can clearly see the cross. The sun flaring over the top gives a sense of the bright white light people are rumoured to see when having a near death experience. It does add to the shot, However the sun has more or less washed out all other details. I would have liked to see some fill light in post processing or perhaps some flash fill when shooting.

AOski - I love the blue skies and clouds. The statue is a little centered for my liking. She appears to be perched at the top overlooking her flock so to speak. Again I would have liked to see what she was looking over.

JanVan - welcome and I hope you enter more often. We are mostly a friendly group and it's all for fun. You definitely know this is a cemetery. The headstone looks huge and again as most are faded away with time. I love the fact that the grave is fenced in as it to keep evil spirits from entering. The fence post or whatever it is in the foreground is a bit distracting taking focus away from the shot. Interesting about letting the vegetation grow, I did not know that.

Danloc78 - again no doubt about it being a cemetery. I love the simple rounded headstone, the well kept grounds and fresh flowers beside the grave. It looks like a majestic building in the background, with the cross making a prominent appearance. Nice exposure for what appears to be mid day.

Salty - only in New York. I have never seen a grave marked on wall like this. It looks like it was spray painted. I love the fairy looking over the grave , guarding the person. I would bet this was a close family member. Taking it through the fence does take away a bit from the impact. I know you were in a rush , it would have been nice to have a lens that would fit through the links.

Third Place (this one covered both Cemetery and Architecture)

mithrandir - this does indeed meet the criteria. The church like peaks , bell along with the cross and what appears to the Virgin Mary or some other saint is very cool. I would have liked to see the statue from the front. It looks a little underexposed as well. Overall though it meets both criteria so well done.

Second Place ( I think this has the best Architecture)

Bruce - again this meets the criteria. The Angel looking downward towards what I assume are the actual graves gives a real sense of peace. The columns and support structure look weather beaten as if surviving all that nature has thrown against it. The moon in the sky is also a nice touch. I would have liked to see a wider shot. Perhaps an area of where the Angle was looking down upon.

Winner (to me this one has the best combination the Architecture is in the headstone and you can clearly see it is a Cemetery)

Rense - ahh the old headstones are so detailed. I think it was good call to use B&W. This headstone shows someone was loved and missed. It also looks to be someone of importance. The architecture portion comes in just with design of the headstone, the intricate details that have been beaten away by father time. A very good shot.

So there we have it Week 1 down 51 more to go Rense you are up judging the next one. Thanks for all the entries, it fun to review them.
Views: 2,511
07-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Gratz to the winners! Nice job of fair and balanced judging, Dave.
07-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks to Dave for judging (and giving useful critiques). Thanks all for participating. Week 2 has begun. Look for your concept of a cityscape and post them for Project 52-2-02.
07-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
congrats to the tops and great pics all around. Thanks Dave for judging, nicely done...and you're very correct about my time of exposure. If I didn't have time constraints I definitely would have waited for some softer shadows

man i have decisions to make this week for a Cityscape. I've got philly right down the road and I'll be in Denver on thursday...Portland, Maine on Sunday!

07-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow Dave, thank you for the first place! Seeing the other entries, I did not dare to hope this! Thanks, and congrats to all the others. Rob (mithrandir), graveyards are great places for photograpghy, and I am looking forward to the other 51 contests!
07-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Congrats to the winners! They were my favorites as well.
Thanks Dave for the comments and critique!
Now its on to week two, Cityscapes. Happy shooting everyone.
07-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats tot the winners. And thanks Dave for judging. A thankless task and damn difficult to boot! It's amusing to me that I specifically chose the shot showning the chain link fence as a somewhat 'frame'. I had other shots w/o it, but I thought it actually improved the shot. Different strokes and all that. Even so thanks for the feed back.

NaCl(hope I never have to judge one of these)H2O

07-14-2009, 01:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your comments. Yes I agree a bit wider shot might have helped but actually the angel is atop a grave, 100 years ago, somebody with lotsa money, I think at one time the four pillars supported some sort of a roof over the angel.
Congrats to all entrants for a great start to the year, and especially Rense, for a great shot. A Worthy winner.
07-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
Forum Member

Dave,

Thanks for your kind welcome (Rense as well in the contest itself) and for your opinion on each photo.

I do really like the idea of the weekly 'photo-mission', though there are some tricky subjects to come.
Everybody enjoy shooting this week and keep it safe