Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Project 52-2-03 Architecture: Exterior
Posted By: mithrandir, 07-16-2009, 05:44 PM

So far in year two, we have looked at Cemetery/Graveyard Architecture and Cityscapes. Our Assignment for Week 3 looks at Architecture, once again, but this time we will be looking for exterior shots with that extra dimension. Tell us what you were trying to achieve to make it more than just a picture of the outside of a building.
(Pictures to be taken and posted between 20090719 and 20090726).
Rules:
1. Anyone and everyone who is interested in eligible. The goal continues to be
have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques with fellow
Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-2 thread for the week. Explain what
motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color,
saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post
black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
6. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is
active to be eligible for judging.
7. Any picture taken from 20090705 to listed closing date is acceptable for the
two “Seasonal” competitions – Projects 52-2-51 & 52.

Full information: Just search "Project 52-2".
Views: 4,899
07-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To the judge for this theme...please post your results on July 28th to allow everyone to get their pics in.
07-22-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well I'll start. Here is one the newer Hotels in Las Vegas. I liked the composition and the blue sky in the background. Truth be known this represents the
'Recession Proof Tower of Power". This hotel is situated between the Venetian and Wynn Hotel or what you could call one the more decadent parts of the strip. So much money goes into these hotels - and yet they continue to build them despite the downtown in the economy - just goes to show you in good times and bad - Las Vegas does well.

Click on image for larger view

07-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Okay, I will join you, Dave. I do not have too many candidates for this challenge but this is the one I want to present

07-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is one from me.
Decided on changing my entry. First was a little too remote.

Last edited by Bramela; 07-24-2009 at 01:11 PM.
07-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #6
Inactive Account

One of my first shots with the Pentax K7. Image direct from camera.
07-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

I'll play too

Last edited by axl; 07-23-2009 at 07:15 AM.
07-24-2009, 04:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something less majestic: the shelter for shipwrecked on the Vliehors, a sand flat in the Wadden Sea, surrounded by driftwood. Okay, no architect bothered on this one, but it has architectural aspects....

07-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Rense, I like your shot alot, especially love the apparently wind-tattered skull and crossbones flag flying.
07-25-2009, 03:42 AM   #10
smf
Pentaxian

Not in this competition

This was photographed before the eligible period. I'm posting it to encourage Pentax users, and to demonstrate the wisdom of shooting that last photo you are tempted to skip, and to encourage at least some of us to listen to our spouses/significant others.

Here's the story:

This photo of a window of an architectural firm won second prize in the adult category of a juried competition for architectural photos shot in our city. I almost didn't shoot the photo. (I was leaving the site. Students in the architectural photo class I was taking were allowed to make photos inside and outside the building.)

When I displayed for my wife the photos I was considering entering, she suggested this one. (I could enter two. I'm not posting the other one — which looks up in another building's atrium — as this thread is for exterior photos. That photo also was accepted in the exhibit, which recently closed.)

Yes, I volunteered to my wife that the prize belongs to her.

By the way, much has been said and written about perspective's challenges when making some architectural photos without a view camera or tilt-shift equipment or software. True enough. Have fun anyway.

I used a tripod-mounted K100D.

Happy shooting, everyone!

Last edited by smf; 11-30-2012 at 10:26 AM.
07-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Twinning the Past

The building on the left is an Episcopal church building in Crownsville, Maryland that was originally constructed circa 1850. The larger building to the right was finished last year and follows the architectural style of the original on a much larger scale. I was trying to achieve a perspective that started with the eyes on the older and moved them on to the newer.

Last edited by mithrandir; 11-07-2009 at 01:45 PM.
07-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Northeast corner of the Guggenheim Museum in NYC. The front and south facades are one of the easiest recognised museum in the world. Took a lot of shots of it today and this is one of the ones I like the best.

If you are interested more here:
saltwater : photos : Project 52-2

NaCl(enjoying the challenge, thans mithrandir! )H2O
07-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am a late-comer to the Project 52 thread, but figured I could drop a photo here. I was walking through downtown Portland after having taken some touristy shots for another project (Sightseeing Screwmount) and noticed the way that the sun was striking the marble-faced vertical ribs of this building. The whole affect was one of "thrusting to the sky". Fortunately, I had the Zenitar Fisheye with me and was able to put what I saw in my minds eye into the camera!

KMZ MC Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye

Steve
07-26-2009, 05:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Here's mine (sorry for the link...I am still on vacation and don't know how to reduce file size enough to post picture).

Some poor guy arrived at the lighthouse FROM BOSTON (3 hour drive) as I was leaving when the fog had rolled in and there was 0% visibility. Hope it clears for him! He had a Nikon though...I didn't feel too bad

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dlocurcio/3757217791/
07-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some nice photographs already. Keep them coming.