Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners PROJECT 52-2-08 Colors: Contrasting
Posted By: daacon, 09-01-2009, 07:37 AM

There were some great entries. I will mention I am not a professional photographer or art critic I just play one most days so the judging as is the case with most of us is purely subjective

ceericks - I really like that shot. The reds are vibrant and the white bucket does indeed stand out. I think the only thing that I did not like was the bucket also had some red in it. If it was all white or the lettering was something other than red we may have had a winner here.

Shela - great action shot. The car is very sharp. I think for this one there are just too many colors on the car. The simplicity of the background works well.

Bruce - Love the tulip it has two basic colors which I like. I think the only thing that takes away from this shot is the lighting casting a shadow of the back pedals on the front of the flower.

Danloc78 - ummm that looks tasty. aside from the Olives I would eat it all! I think an overhead shot would have been better. The foreground and background are very busy and it just takes away a little bit from the shot.

EagleRapids - that is an awesome shot of a sunrise - very well framed. Trees , rolling hills , even a star a great shot. I just don't think other than the small line of golden sky there is enough of a contrast in the other colors.

Frank - a very cool shot. I'll bet they do indeed look like fire in the wind. The subject is very sharp and framed well. The bokeh is still pretty close to color of the main subject other than that it is a very nice shot.

Salty - I love hot peppers. Nice isolation of the red and green. I think a little large DOF to have that back green one in focus would have helped this shot for this challenge.

Seacapt - wow that trailer is bright ! I'll bet you could almost see it from space The yellow red and green indeed do contrast each other nicely. I think a tighter shot of the front of the house would have suited this challenge better.

Third Place

Stevebrot - ahh you have hit one of my favorites. Sunflower against a pure blue sky . Very well done. Simple contrasting colors of Yellow , Green , Red and Blue. I do wish the barn was not in the shot.

Second Place

Rense - indeed an abstract concept. Kudos’s for some outside the box thinking. I love the pure black background and the colors do pop on the CD.

Our Winner

JanVan - nice macro. Colors do indeed pop. Wonderful purple , yellow and blacks. The green background if very simple and does not take away from the shot.

There you have it JanVan you are up to judge the next one. Well done all.

Last edited by daacon; 09-01-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Views: 1,804
09-01-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice job judging Dave! I'm a big fan of when judges take time to critique each photo. Thanks for doing that.

Well done everyone...on to some deep depth of field photos!

And congrats JanVan!
09-01-2009, 07:49 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the comments Daacon, and CONGRATS to the winners!
09-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great job judging Dave! And congrats Jan, with the first place. Well done!! (It's a reason for a treat this evening, don't you think?? )

09-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Stevebrot - ahh you have hit one of my favorites. Sunflower against a pure blue sky . Very well done. Simple contrasting colors of Yellow , Green , Red and Blue. I do wish the barn was not in the shot.
I will have the owner of the property remove the barn! (I actually had a few where the barn was not visible...but those had less sky...)

Congratulations to Jan!

Really liked Rense's rainbow abstract and ceerick's red wall.

All the rest were excellent as well.

Now on to the this week's challenge...DOF, deep...Oh, my...that sounds hard...Need a view camera...

Steve
09-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent shots and excellent commentary (Dave).
09-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
Forum Member

Wow, drinking a celebration-beer at the moment. Liked most of the shots and I suppose it was hard judging keeping the assignment in mind. Dave, thanks for judging an giving an opinion on every picture.
I'll do my best next week.