Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
PROJECT 52-2-12 Exposure: Low Key
Posted By: mithrandir, 09-16-2009, 07:43 PM

Our Assignment for Week 12 is to produce a true low key image. The following definition from Wikipedia will help to set the parameters of this weeks assignment:

Low-key lighting is a style of lighting for photography, film or television. It attempts to create a chiaroscuro effect. In traditional photographic lighting, three-point lighting uses a key light, a fill light, and a back light for even illumination. Low-key lighting requires only one key light, optionally controlled with a fill light or a simple reflector.

Low key light accentuates the contours of an object by throwing areas into shade while a fill light or reflector may illuminate the shadow areas to control contrast. The relative strength of key-to-fill, known as the lighting ratio, can be measured using a light meter. Low key lighting has a higher lighting ratio, e.g. 8:1, than high key lighting, which can approach 1:1.

The term "low key" is used in cinematography to refer to any scene with a high lighting ratio, especially if there is a predominance of shadowy areas. It tends to heighten the sense of alienation felt by the viewer, hence is commonly used in film noir and horror genres.

(Pictures for week 12 competition to be taken and posted between 20090920 and 20090927).

NOTE: We have two Seasonal competitions planned for the last two weeks of year two. You may take pictures for these anytime between 20090705 and the posting dates of 20100704 or 20100711. This way you can include your favorite holiday or season whenever it occurs during the year.

Rules:
1. Anyone and everyone who is interested in eligible. The goal continues to be
have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques with fellow
Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-2 thread for the week. Explain what
motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color
saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post
black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
6. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is
active to be eligible for judging.
7. Any picture taken from 20090705 to listed closing date is acceptable for the
two “Seasonal” competitions – Projects 52-2-51 & 52.

Full information is available at Thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/63239...t=project+52-2
Views: 4,890
09-21-2009, 04:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I take this to mean that any photograph with primarily a single source of light can be considered low key? Or does the photograph have to be artificially illuminated?
For instance would this photograph be considered low key?

NaCl(just wondering)H2O
09-21-2009, 05:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
You have nailed the concept with your example.
09-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Here's one I did the day before the theme began. I'll add it as another example of what I think might be considered low key photography (mithrandir or anyone else please correct me if i'm wrong, then it can be used as an example of what NOT to do ). I plan on getting one during the active week as well.

this was lit by an umbrella'd flash camera right. One of my first shots with the 50-135.

At first I didn't like this pose...I felt like my wife's face looks like a ninja. But the more i look at it, and the way she's holding our daughter, it's really growing on me.

Attached Images

09-23-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dan, I believe low key would negate the light colored sleeper on your daughter. Colors (except for minor highlights) should be kept from midtone to the dark range.
09-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Dan, I believe low key would negate the light colored sleeper on your daughter. Colors (except for minor highlights) should be kept from midtone to the dark range.
gotcha, thanks for clarifying.
09-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Swallowing the Lamp Post

I was at an evening wedding and caught sight of this low key subject:

Last edited by mithrandir; 11-07-2009 at 01:45 PM.
09-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote

At first I didn't like this pose...I felt like my wife's face looks like a ninja. But the more i look at it, and the way she's holding our daughter, it's really growing on me.
Interesting response you had.

Since I was immediately and favorably struck by the image, I'd gainsay your reaction is due to familiarity with your wife's customary expressions - she looks unfamiliar to you and it creates an emotional dissonance.

Her expression conveys an aggressively protective mother that I find evocative and primal.

When our children were babies my wife did just the same and I tried to capture those moments (without success) as you have here. I've never felt quite the same bond to my wife as I did in that period of our lives - not better or worse now, just not the same.

Very nice capture.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-25-2009 at 10:55 PM.
09-26-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

nice shot mithrandir, I really like the lighting and composition.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Interesting response you had.

Her expression conveys an aggressively protective mother that I find evocative and primal.
Yes this is definitely the vibe i got instantly, but maybe felt it was almost a little too intense. But like i said, the more i look at it, the more I like it.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Very nice capture.
Thanks!
09-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #10
Marketplace Reseller

yahma hahma, bad lighting on the porch
09-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

This one's for the contest. Cheers!
09-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

And one's out of contest. It was taken while practicing low-key lighting technics just before the upper one, will be happy if commented.

Last edited by Tsukiouji; 09-27-2009 at 02:10 PM.
09-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Not for judging

Ok so a few days before the project started I got a new lens and went out to play with it . I saw the sun shining through some trees on this flower and said " there's my low key shot". Took a few to test the lens and planned to do it again when the project was open but bad weather and work got in the way. So This isn't an entry Just posted for feedback and to add something to the thread.

Last edited by seacapt; 10-08-2009 at 07:42 PM.
09-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

here's mine this week...
Attached Images

09-28-2009, 05:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Here is my submission although let me know if it qualifies I am not sure I understand fully what a Low Key shot is ..

Click on image for larger view

Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/14.0
Focal Length: 16 mm
Exposure: 0.00
ISO Speed: 1000
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Auto, Fired