Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly challenge #114 Nature vs. Culture WINNERS
Posted By: Rense, 10-25-2009, 06:47 AM

This was a hard job judging!! So many different photos, fitting the theme nicely. To all players this week: thanks a lot, I enjoyed it very much. All photos are well done, and nice executed. However, only one can win, and I picked the one that was most appealing to me. I hope you don't mind that I am not commenting on every single entry. I'm just too busy..... So, here are the results:

First of all, three honourable mentions:

Bbluesman, with the roof of the botanical garden on the beautiful isle of Taiwan. I've been there, sweet memories.....
It's a great photo, capturing the essence of the challenge very well. Trees, captured in a construction of glass and metal.
Well done, great job!

Seacapt, with the wooden door to the woods.
Although the photo appears to be a little bit washed out, I like the combination Title-Photo. It depicts the ambivalent attitude of men towards nature very well!

Mike, with the Ta Prohm Apsara slowly disappearing in a tree.
Excellent, this is what I meant with the challenge. Culture, took back by nature.
Great, but I would have loved a little more detail in the face of the Apsara.
And sorry for not placing your photo here again, because I couldn't download it properly, it stretches out completely, as if it was hit by a train. If you send me a PM with the photo attached, I will place it here.

And then, the third place: Peter, with the tree and church tower striving for eminence.
Great perspective, well executed, fitting the theme extremely well. Congrats!

Second: the dead coyote by Jeff.
What can I say? It's a sad picture, showing us the toll of prosperity and progress. This picture *is* the theme. Sadly but true.....
BTW: my wife very much like the speckles of the asphalt as background of the grey speckled fur of the coyote.
Great photo, which makes me sad...... But nevertheless: congrats!

And then the first place goes to Coffee, with the rusty Volkswagens in the blooming meadow.
It's a very good picture imo, which has it all: fitting the theme, great composition, telling a story, nicely processed.....
Excellently done, congratulations.

Up to next weeks challenge, hope to see as many great entries as this week!!!

Last edited by Rense; 10-27-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Views: 2,943
10-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rense, thanks for 3rd. Didn't hink I'll manage podiums.
Congrats to the two that beat me to it (fully deserved IMO), and to all that took part. Some great shots.
10-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Wow...Great shots everyone! Peter's church perspective shot, and Jeff's thought provoking coyote shot are both fabulous images and worthy winners as well. Excellent work

Rense...I appreciate the nod on the challenge this week. Thank you!

I'd also like to throw in a couple of words for Daacon's entry as well (hoping you don't mind). What an absolutely gorgous shot my friend! Superb!

c[_]

P.S. New challenge to be posted later today.
10-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations Coffee, it was my favorite of this challenge also.

Tim

10-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote

I'd also like to throw in a couple of words for Daacon's entry as well (hoping you don't mind). What an absolutely gorgous shot my friend! Superb!
Of course I don't mind! Not in the last place because you're right (but 4 or 5 or 6 honourable mentions would have been exorbitant, don't you think?)
10-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Kudos to all-nice to receive an honourable mention in this contest-thanks! The winning shot was my fav as well. Well done all.
10-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats to the winners and thanks for hosting Rense.
Good to see such diverse shots in this theme.

10-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Well done to Rense for choosing such an interesting theme for this week's challenge.

Thanks for the honorable mention, congratulations to ll_coffee_lP and all the place getters.

Cheers,
Mike
10-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Rense , Thanks for the mention , Great job judging.
Congrats to all.
10-27-2009, 12:41 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE: I placed the HM photo of Mike in the thread.
10-27-2009, 12:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
UPDATE: I placed the HM photo of Mike in the thread.
Ahh yeah-that was way creepy cool!