Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly Challenge #115 - "Letters or Numbers" - results!
Posted By: ll_coffee_lP, 11-02-2009, 06:45 PM

Lots of wonderful submissions for this week's challenge - great work everyone!

I decided to use a bit of a different criteria set for coming up with the results for this week's winners - they are based on the following (they are subjective of course):
1.) Framing 0-3pts
2.) Exposure/post processing/wow factor 0-3pts
3.) Difficulty in obtaining the photo 0-3pts
4.) Natural #/letter that is a focal point, but not necessarily outward to the viewer 0-3pts
Max score is 12.

Here are the results:

atupdate: 2-1-1-2 = 6

bbluesman (4 entries - first entry used, as per challenge rules): 1-1-1-2 = 5

Bramela: 3-2-2-2 = 9

RollsUp: 2-1-3-3 = 9

Rense: Wonderful shot with beautiful framing, exposure and bokeh. Unfortunately this entry didn't follow the guidelines of the challenge - so it wasn't judged. Beauty shot though!!

ohce (4 entries - first entry used, as per challenge rules): 3-2-1-3 = 9

cyy47: 3-2-2-3 = 10

reeftool: 3-3-1-3 = 10

Ash: 3-3-3-1 = 10

Sunniebgi: 2-2-1-1 = 6

Stratman: 3-3-2-2 = 10

smf: 3-2-1-1 = 7

xjjohnno: 2-3-3-2 = 10

Runner up:

K McCall: 3-3-2-3 = 11
What an awesome shot. This really captured the essence of the challenge with it's simplistic interpretation and beautiful rendering. This is the type of photo I would hang in my home. Beautiful work Keitha!

Winner:

mickeyrobe: 3-3-3-3 = 12
This is a beautiful picture that captures the essence of the challenge in it's entirety. Well framed, wonderful capture, well exposed, timing of the ducks with their heads in the water - all wonderful. The number "8" is so easy to see and is the focal point of the image, but it isn't something your eye registers right away - that goes to the ducks. Lot's of great pics this week, but this one fulfills all requirements and does so with style. Awesome work!

Thanks to everyone for your participation. I hope you enjoyed the challenge as much as I did hosting it. So with that...I will pass the baton over to Mickey for our next challenge.

c[_]
Views: 3,519
11-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Mickey and Keitha.
Creative judging criteria!
Nice. Well done to all.
11-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thank you very much, indeed.

May I please pass the baton to Keitha McCall.

I really don't feel qualified to be a judge.

Mickey
11-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you so much for the kind words, Coffee (I hope it's okay to address you as such?)! You picked a very interesting topic, and with all the interpretations, I can see why you instituted your voting criteria

Mickey, I'll happily stand in for you if you'd like, but I'd encourage you to give it a shot. This whole thing is more for fun and sharing than anything else (or at least, I like to think so!), and considering how extremely well-done your photo was, I think you're MORE than qualified to judge the next one!

11-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To the winners, judge and other entrants:
Nice work!
Stu
11-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haha coffee, even expliceted my entry was too obscure . Let's say my submission was in another language: braille. Tree points on position 1,2 &4, where 3, 5 & 6 were open. That makes the number 4. But otherwise: nice job judging . And thanks for the kind words anyways!

Congrats to Mikey and Keitha, you both had great submissions!
11-03-2009, 03:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
Thank you so much for the kind words, Coffee (I hope it's okay to address you as such?)! You picked a very interesting topic, and with all the interpretations, I can see why you instituted your voting criteria

Mickey, I'll happily stand in for you if you'd like, but I'd encourage you to give it a shot. This whole thing is more for fun and sharing than anything else (or at least, I like to think so!), and considering how extremely well-done your photo was, I think you're MORE than qualified to judge the next one!
Keitha, one other minor matter. I lack the necessary computer skills to tackle the job and do it justice.

Please do take over.

Mickey
11-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It was a very fun challenge with a well deserved winner, Congrats!

11-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Congrats Mickey !!
11-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks to everyone especialy Keitha.

Mickey