Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
WINNERS - Weekly Challenge #117 - The Tree
Posted By: mel, 11-22-2009, 09:08 PM

Okay this was really really tough. How do I pick just one? There is some darn outstanding and beautiful photography here. Can't I just say everyone wins? But more than a winner, we need a host for the next challenge right? But I hate picking because there is some real quality work here. That's what makes it so hard. I could have easily found justification for picking any shot presented here.

So going back I was looking for a tree but with some kind of unique view. And really, that's what it had to come down to. These were all outstanding images so I had to look at something different. I'm not going to critique technique or composition because I don't feel it's my place to do so.

So here's my pick:

Winner: Light Horseman - I like what the tree in this shot is doing. The detail is in the forground more than in the tree but in spite of that the tree dominates, especially with the way the clouds seem to be drawn into that point as well. My eye tries to study the detail but keeps getting drawn back to the tree, even with it's lacking of detail. The monochromatic treatment just seems to enhance the moodiness of the shot. So here we have judge's subjectiveness. I love moody shots. I love the impact the tree is having here.

I was going to pick some runners up but the post was getting too long as I couldn't seem to limit myself to just one or two. So I'll leave it at this.

So thank you for playing in my weekly challenge. I'm certainly going to play again but I hope I don't win. I don't like picking winners unless it's a random drawing, which this almost came down to believe me. Excellent work everyone. There is some outstanding photography here.
Views: 2,252
11-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good pick mel.
It's an excellent perspective of an interesting tree in front of a dramatic sky.
Well done Light Horseman.
11-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That is, indeed, a worthy winner.
It is an impressive photo.

Mickey
11-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mel, you did fine on judging!
Light Horseman, great photo, a winner indeed!! Congratulations.

11-23-2009, 04:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Light Horseman... Wonderful brooding and moody photo. You can almost hear that tree asking itself where all of it's friends went.

Mel, great choice, and I didn't envy you the judging this time around. Tons of deserving photos to pick just one and I know how hard that is.

Mike
11-23-2009, 05:59 AM   #6
Forum Member

great choice! im glad i didnt have to pick one.
congratulations Light Horseman!
11-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This was a hard contest I would agree many many outstanding images and I think that you did well on the judging great image congrats to all and Light Horseman that was an outstanding image well deserving.

11-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #8

Wow! Thanks Mel et al.

I really appreciate the feedback and support that this forum provides. It encourages me to get out and shoot more in my limited free time.

Moody shots are something I try to achieve but rarely do well. In case you want the details this shot was taken with a K-7 and Pentax 12-24mm @12mm. 5 bracketted frames converted to HDR in Photomatix, then converted to B&W in Lightroom.
11-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Good job picking a winner, Mel - I know it wasn't easy with the number of fantastic shots!

And a big congratulations to Light Horseman! You definitely mastered the mood in your shot
11-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
smf
Pentaxian

Congratulations, Light Horeseman!
11-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Excellant pick mel and very good choice and presentation goes to Light Horsman. Well done. jim
11-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good job mel, this one wasn't easy to judge by anybody's standards!
Congratulations to LH, excellent dark and emotional photo. Seems like it could be an album cover for a 'goth' group.

NaCl(dark and foreboding indeed)H2O