Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Project 52-2-22 Lighting: Sidelighting WINNERS
Posted By: ceericks, 12-17-2009, 11:17 AM

First off thanks to everyone who posted a photo in this weeks theme. Judging the photos has become a difficult task due to the great entries. By no means am in an expert on photo critique, but its helps me to develop an eye and expectations for my own photos. Now on to the photos.

Ash - Great rose photo! The exposure is on point. The soft bokeh and side lighting help to bring out the key features in the rose. Great detail on the petals with the dew drops.

Rense - Nice use of the natural lighting from your living room window. There is just enough light to touch on the food items and bring out there bright warm colors.

Mithrandir - Good job on capturing the spur of the moment contest pic. The side lighting brings out the texture and color in the holly.

Bbluesman - Interesting shot. The light source did a great job of capturing the mylar tape, bringing out the rainbow colors. However it took me a while to notice the rainbow in the tape. My eye was immediately attracted to the Lesson 4 text.

StevenVH - Cool pine cone photo Steven, I enjoy the details of the pine cone needles. It seems like there was no real side lighting in the photo, its looks to be equal lighting throughout the pic.

Jheu02 - Interesting photo of a fireplace grate. The photo fits the theme well, with the light source coming from the left. De saturating in PP did help with bringing out the texture of the ash, as well as the old look. Great pic.

Dale - I like the hay bales idea. The gentlemen looking off into the open space gives you that "gazing off into the pastures" feel. I also like the vanishing point technique with the bales.

Planedriver - Yes, our kids are our perfect models! Great photo. You did a nice job using the sidelight to highlight the lil guys soft skin and huge brown eyes, while leaving the left side in darkness.

Iris - Your right, Ash and Rense did set the bar high with there photos. I love your attitude though," If you never try, you will never learn". The P52 is all about pushing one another to try new techniques. On to your photo. I enjoy the simplicity and composition of the pic. The side lighting helped to bring out the strong lines in the candle holder.

Winners are:
Honorable Mention - Planedriver

Second Runner Up - Rense

First Runner Up - Jheu02

Winner - Ash

Thanks to everyone!

Corey
Views: 1,950
12-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Corey for the judging and your encouragements. Congrats to Ash, Jheu02, Rense and Planedriver!
12-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the nod as a runner up. To all, great captures. Love the softness also of the rose Ash, and Rense, I'm glad you can't enter that one in the Subdued Lighting theme that's coming up!
12-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Corey! And congratulations to Ash, that Rose is wonderful!!!!
All the others congrats too, there were only great entries!

12-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice job of judging, Corey. Congrats to the winners -- they were all great. Thanks to everyone who submitted. I enjoyed every shot.
12-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Congrats to all winners definitely nice shots all around. Thanks for judging Corey.
12-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well done Corey. Nice of you to provide a critique for every photo. Great stuff everyone! Congrats to the winners!

12-18-2009, 02:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks Corey and well done Ash. On to the next challenge!
12-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Congratulations to the winners and thank you Corey! Sidelighting-what a simple "tool" which together with one's eyes is capable to produce wonderful images!

Andras