Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
PROJECT 52-2-25 Lighting:Sun Stars : Winners
Posted By: Bramela, 01-04-2010, 03:35 PM

As I said earlier, I would like to congratulate all entrants on some really great photographs. The subject was not an easy one at all. As can be seen in some of the shots, contending with sun flashes and flare, is one of major obstacles the shooter has to deal with. In some cases, where this is evident, I find it has been handled very well. In others, that the photographer has avoided the flashes completely, is also commendable.

Comments :

Mithrander : A very well taken shot which has centred on the subject at hand. Sun Stars was the subject and that is totally your shot. I am a little distracted by the flares, I am sorry, as you felt this was a plus. Good for you, it pleases your taste and that is main thing.
Ramseybuckeye : First photo only. Nicely done, my only problem being I would have preferred the sun (being the subject) was not cut off at the top.
Dale : Excellently handled shot, however, I would like to have seen something else in the shot like a tree or a tractor to fill up the blankness a bit. Well done, nevertheless.
Ash : Nicely done, nice lighting, however, I would say the same as Dale's above, just a little blank.
Dragonfly : Again I like the lighting in this shot, it is very well taken, you are to be congratulated. The sun is just a little too insignifcant, to be the subject matter for the competition.
Rense, A very nice shot, I love the inclusion of the birds and the reflection but,for my taste, I was a little distracted by the flare.
Jheu02: Shame about the flare here, it is a bit too overwhelming.

Highly Commended:

Iris : Nicely handled shot, with good silhouette effect and excellent handling and placement of the sun.

Tamia, Congratulations on a very well taken shot. I feel that the contrast, deep black to total white glare is a bit too much. But for the subject, with its difficulty you have handled it rather well.

PFH: Beautiful. I am very impressed with this shot, I just wish I could given about 4 first places here.

3rd Place

XS400 : I liked this because of its Macro format. I an a Macro zealot, and I feel you handled your shot very well. Nicely done!

2nd Place

CYY47 : I finished virtually with a toss up between your entry and the winner. This impressed me with the silhouette effect, the lighting, the placement of the sun and the clarity and sharpness of the suns rays. Beautifully done and congratulations.

**1ST PLACE**

Rollsup : Very impressed with your shot. My comments on this would be a re-run of those I made for the 2nd place shot of CYY47.

Congratulations to each and every photo, and more particularly the winners.
I hope that nobody is discouraged by my comments, They are only one opinion.
Please accept as encouragement.
Criticism of the judge now open for all

Last edited by Bramela; 01-04-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Views: 4,029
01-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brilliant choices Bruce.
All top 3 are just excellent.
Love these immensely.
Frank, that's an awesome effect captured beautifully.
CYY47, that's one spectacular scene complementing the well-placed sunstar.
Rollsup, as usual, your entries are inspirational.
Well done all!
01-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #3

Thanks, guys. That was my first time with my DA 12-24 (a very nice Xmas gift indeed) and I really enjoyed its FOV. Congrats to all participants as well.
01-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like your choices too, out of many good ones. I would have had to throw a dart at the top three to select - all outstanding.

01-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to the winners! All well deserved.

Bruce, thanks very much for your comments on my photo: I completely agree with your assessment. I appreciate your efforts in explaining your views on the pictures, and also extend thanks to everyone who participated. These challenges are great learning experiences and are helping me to hone my eye.
01-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to Rollsup for first and CYY47 for second - those at both excellent shots. Well done indeed.

And thanks for choosing my shot for third. It's greatly appreciated.
01-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Very nice work everyone. I am glad it was Bruce, and not I, who had to do the judging. As I said earlier, I really enjoyed the variety of approaches to this one.

01-05-2010, 03:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bruce, thank you for judging, well done. You've chosen wonderful captures! Congrats to the winners, especially to Rollsup. Yours is great indeed.

Bruce, I think you're right about my contribution. The flare is distracting. Noticed it at home, and I think it was caused by the skylight filter I did not remove dumbly enough..... But I liked doing this P52, because, as I said before, it makes me do something I never did before...
01-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bruce, thanks you for judging and commenting on every post!
Congrats to the winners!
But I would like to say that there were some really great photographs in this contest, so everybody well done!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Highly Commended:

Iris : Nicely handled shot, with good silhouette effect and excellent handling and placement of the sun.
I very much appreciated you kind words!
Above all because I am always scared posting my own stuff, especially with so many great entries!
It was really nice to try something completely new!
01-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Iris, never be frightened to post your shots. Be assured, the members are here to encourage, not to make fun of or mock anybody's photos.
The people of the Forums are a great bunch of people and friends and are quick to give any assistance and encouragement to learners and experienced alike.

It is good to see new members participating.
01-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Iris, never be frightened to post your shots. Be assured, the members are here to encourage, not to make fun of or mock anybody's photos.
The people of the Forums are a great bunch of people and friends and are quick to give any assistance and encouragement to learners and experienced alike.

It is good to see new members participating.
I know, I know....you are all very nice ....
Actually it's more a character thing, I have it with all new things and I'll get over it!
It stops when I feel comfortable enough, which you will notice soon enough (then my picture will show up everywhere )!
01-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for the comments on all the images Bruce. I enjoy the quality of the posted images, as well as the considered feedback. Like others, the P52 is a chance to learn more about technique and composition.
01-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Wow, a pleasant surprise awaits me. Thanks, Bramela! Congratulations XS400 and CYY47 for placing along with all the participants. Good work all!
I'm going to guess I won the chance to judge the next challenge, PROJECT 52-2-26 Lighting: Sunrise or Sunset. Is this correct?
I read the Project rules and unless I missed it, it didn't say what the winners won.
Thanks again Bramela.
01-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
Wow, a pleasant surprise awaits me. Thanks, Bramela! Congratulations XS400 and CYY47 for placing along with all the participants. Good work all!
I'm going to guess I won the chance to judge the next challenge, PROJECT 52-2-26 Lighting: Sunrise or Sunset. Is this correct?
I read the Project rules and unless I missed it, it didn't say what the winners won.
Thanks again Bramela.
Yep, you're right on your price!
01-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Yep, you're right on your price!
And I think it's a price worth paying.
Thanks, Rense.