Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly Challenge Winners #123 - Cold
Posted By: VaughnA, 01-25-2010, 07:41 PM

Below are my comments about each of this weeks entries. Please understand that I consider myself a beginner who got lucky winning last week. I'm judging on as much gut feeling as my knowledge and compositional skills. I think and hope that I have learned as much from this process as participating in the challenge.

A bunch of great shots that show the cold side of things.

Here is the Original Contest Thread

In order of submission:

NaCIH20: Nice photo, but it seems a little dark and focus seems a bit off to me.

Mark Morb: I like this one a lot. The leaves and seeds around the headstone add to the photo.

Leaf Fan: I really like this one. The snow is well exposed to show the texture and color.

eccs19: I love this photo. The idea of the sundial makes me think garden and then the frost gives me a doubletake. The ice crystals really make it interesting.

atupdate. Great shot with wonderful exposure and texture in the snow. The shadows of the trees lead my eye to the bench.

PFH: Can't deny it says cold but it really doesn't have a strong subject to draw me to one part of the photo.

foster: Definitely shows the cold and the decrepit building doesn't help warm things up. I'd like to see this one in black & white.

deacon: Just plain fun. It's hard to tell if it is white sand or snow but I love the photo.

Nomad: Great subject and shot. But the snow looks a bit on the grey side. As you suggested a bit of PP would really help the shot.

sealonsf: unless I look closely for the snow blowing or the little bit on the sign there isn't anything to convey the idea. And with only white as the background it just looks like a sign.

Tamia: I like the composition and the contrast of the feathery trees in the front and more contrasty trees in the background but not a lot of interest in the sky.

pontusadefjord: I like this one a lot, the crop makes me think about what it is and really looks cold with the ice covering the chain.

Rense: Wonderful shot. The contrast of the grass and ice crystals make it seem even colder. I really like the limited DOF.

Iris: Wonderful shot. The blue background and single light make me think there is a window in the distance.

MRRiley: Wonderful, The darkness of the mountain and the blowing snow are so nicely lit. One of those still photos that just looks like it's in motion.

Wilm: Nice capture, I really like the detail in the ice. I'd love to see the same shot with a bit more blur in the water.

Peter Zack: Nice, it took a moment to see the ice on the fence. At first it looked like a beach. Wonderful lighting on the trees and fence.

Jheu02: Nice shot but needs more of a subject to draw my eye into the picture.

RoxnDox: That is just fun. Definitely shows the cold. I think a little bit more of a diagonal shot of the sidewalk would have looked great. But I'm not sure how you'd get through the snow to get the shot.

smf: I love the color contrast with the berries and the snow. I think it's a touch underexposed. A bit of PP and it would look even better.

RollsUp: How can you not feel cold looking at this one. I love it. I played with the contrast to bring out the fishermen and I think it really improved the shot.

Mike L: nice shot, but it seems a bit dark. I tried upping the saturation a bit and I liked it a lot more.

Slinco: Nice shot, I love the framing of the trees and the reflection in the foreground.

Bramela: Nice shot with of one of my favorite cold subjects, cocktails.

xjjohnno: definitely cold, the object on the left bothers me a bit as does the shadow on the central fishes face.

seacapt: nice shot of the fisherman, but except for the coat it just doesn't look cold to me.

ramseybuckeye; Nice shot of the geese. But I think that I lose their heads in the grass.

Fries: Nice shot, I really like the horizontal lines. Definitely looks cold.

My Picks:

Honorable Mentions:
atupdate, RollsUp.

3rd Place: MrRiley: I just love it, makes me feel cold & dark.

2nd Place: eccs19: This one just hit me with the juxtaposition of the garden item and the ice.

1st Place: Iris: I love the icicle and the mystery of the orange light. The blue background says cold.

Last edited by VaughnA; 01-26-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Views: 3,314
01-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent job on the judging and great shots chosen. Good stuff everyone!
01-25-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Congrats Iris & eccs19.
01-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #4

Great job everyone! Congratulations to Iris, eccs19, MrRiley and many thanks to VaughnA for judging!

01-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to the winners, and especially to Iris !
Vaughn, you did a great job judging, thank you!
01-26-2010, 01:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First: Congratulations to eccs19, MrRiley!
Thanks VaughnA for judging and commenting on every picture!
I must say I am really surprised. Didn't see that one coming. There where so many great entries........
But I guess there is a first time for everything ...

I don't like the way my picture is looking now, so forgive me for posting it again

Last edited by Iris; 01-26-2010 at 11:51 AM.
01-26-2010, 02:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks VaughnA for judging you had a difficult job, but well done.
Iris, eccs19 and Mr.Riley congrats, so now I am gonna heat up the stove it's cold out here.

wllm

01-26-2010, 02:51 AM   #8

Thanks for the comments and Congratulations to all the winners
01-26-2010, 03:15 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

VaughnA thanks for your time and effort judging. Good job. And congratulations to the winners!
01-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well done on the judging - congrats Irish a chilling shot indeed.
01-26-2010, 06:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Congratulations Iris and a great job of commenting VaughnA.

Tim
01-26-2010, 07:13 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Congrats to the winners and everybody who participated, a real nice bunch of shots.

01-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #13
smf
Pentaxian

Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to VaughnA for your comments and to everyone for posting your work.
01-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the second place. Also congratulations to Iris & MrRiley for their great pics as well.

There were a number of great pics to choose from this week. VaughnA had his hands full for his first go at it.
01-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well done, Iris and Eccs19. Good job of judging VaughnA. Well done all entries, some great shots were submitted.