Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
PROJECT 52-2-28 Leading Lines WINNERS
Posted By: ceericks, 01-27-2010, 03:40 PM

First off, thanks to everyone who entered a photo this week. You’re all winners in my book!
Judging the P52 themes is tough for me, as Im no professional photog. These are just my opinions. Critiquing your great entries help me become a better photographer. I am learning what to look for when I am composing my photos. Now on to the judging.

My Opinions (in the order photos were posted)
Ramseybuckeye – Nice shot and great use of the Super Takumar 135/3.5. My eyes immediately followed the very symmetrical power line towers. The fog also gives your photo a mystical feel, wondering how far the power line towers continue into the horizon.

Ash – This is a nice entry as well. There are two sets of leading lines in this photo, the sidewalk cutting through the grass, and the light posts. Looking at the person in the photo makes one wonder how long has he been walking this curve? Is he on a curvy path, trying to straighten his life out?? This photo is food for thought. Nice capture.
The photo is a bit noisy, but it doesn’t hurt the overall mood of the photo.

Atpudate – Thanks for the nice cold reminder of winter! I think the exposure is dead on, for probably being a bright cloudy day. There is a lot going on in your photo. It took me a minute to try to figure out if the leading lines are from the stream or the bridge in the background.

Jheu02 – The classic railroad tracks leading line photo. Nice B&W conversion on the photo to give the pic an old vintage feel. My eyes immediately follow the tracks and lead me to wonder. I have a minor suggestion; maybe crop the photo a pinch tighter to eliminate the trees on the outer edges of the photo. Another thought, I was thinking of doing a railroad tracks photo. Many other photogs were probably thinking of taking the same shot as well. Keep that in mind when taking classic photos, look for that extra “umph” to make yours stand out among the rest.

Wllm – Man, fog must be in the forecast pretty frequently over there in Italy! Despite the fog, great way of using one of mother natures perils. The road is the primary leading line in the photo with the trees being secondary. I am immediately drawn to both of them, as they lead me down to the person walking towards an arch way. This photo has a lot of depth, and tells a great story. Nice work.

Daccon – Yes, the great white north indeed! The end of the fence serves as your leading lines, which is yet another reminder of the cold winter were having! This is a very simple photo, but sometimes simple is very effective. I like the idea, but the photo is missing something to give it that “umph”.

Tamia – Nice idea here with this capture. I like the use of the animal tracks as your leading lines. Not all leading lines have to be straight lines. Nice conversion as well, it’s tough trying to get the correct exposure while shooing in the bright snow. Maybe a lil cropping on the right of the photo to rid of the hump in the bottom right would have been ok. Overall, nice pic, I like it!

Mithrandir – Great use of the fence to capture the theme topic. Im sure people driving by were wondering “what in the world is that guy doing?” You also took advantage of an overcast day to get a nice exposure. Although the fence is the main subject in the photo, while following my eye tends to drift to the pile on the left. Further up the fence I am stopped by the red gates. There is a lot going on in this photo that takes away from the main subject, the fence.

Bramela – This is a different interpretation on leading lines. Your photo is very symmetrical, repeating patterns throughout the photo. There is also a great deal of depth, birds in the foreground, chains and poles in the middle, which point to the body of water and ship out in the horizon. I feel like the left side, probably due to the sun, is a bit overexposed, but other than that Im a fan of this photo. Nice work.

Cyy47 – Nice pic, yet another great use of a fence as the leading line. The fence shadow and the roadway also serve as leading lines to me. Maybe a tighter crop at the top of the photo could help a bit. My eye follows the fence, then jumps off the fence to the top of the wall in the background. Overall nice pic.

Nomad – This is a great start to a new exercise for you. I think you are interpreting the topic quite well. There is nothing but lines in your photo! From the stools and chairs, to the tile on the wall, pattern on the floor, and even the ceiling, they all lead to the door. I almost wish the coats on the coat racks, and people on the right were not there, but those are things we cannot control in public environments. I have only one gripe, I feel like the photo is a bit underexposed, and could probably tweak the saturation and contrast levels in pp to liven up the photo a bit. Overall you’re off to a good start.

Iris – Nice capture. The pathway coming off the bridge serves as a great leading line, headed right at the group of people. Nice exposure as well. As I follow your pathway I become a little distracted with the light poles to the left. That first one really grabs my attention. The photo is also a bit busy, with the poles, people and building.

Third Place - Nomad

Second Place - Bramela

First Place - Wllm

Last edited by ceericks; 01-27-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: letter edit
Views: 2,154
01-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Willem, congrat on the first, and congrats to the other winners too. Many great shots, I loved following this from the side line ( ).

Corey, you did a great job judging this one, commenting all the entries. Nice pics too!!!
01-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cory, thanks for another outstanding job of critiquing the entries. You are not the only one learning. You have given us all some great pointers for future shots.
Wllm: After your bike shot, I was hoping you would grace us with another winner and I was not let down.
Bramela: I love the almost optical illusion of the ship on the horizon, almost floating above the chain lines.
Nomad: You definitely cornered the market on lines and it works quite well.
Thanks to everyone who contributed. For me, I am finally getting the technical details down, but I have a long way to go on composition. You all help me immensely.
01-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the 2nd, Corey. I do agree with your comments. maybe I should have moved the view slightly to the right. (Or a crop perhaps.)
Thanks for the comments too, Mithrandir.

Congrats to the winning shot, very deserved winner.

Well judged.

01-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to Willm and all the others. Willm, that is an excellent shot. Well done.
01-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to all also. Willm, I thought yours was going to win once I saw it. Excellent job!
01-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Wllm, Bruce, and Nomad! Thanks for a thoughtful judging, Ceericks. Lots of great pix in this one.

01-28-2010, 02:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Willem, congratulations on the first, indeed a beautiful shot! Congrats to the other winners too. Corey, thanks for your comments! You did a great job judging this one!!!
01-28-2010, 02:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thnx everyone and especially Corey for judging, your comments are very clear and I think this kind of challenges/projects are a good learning process for everybody, the viewers, the contestants and the judges.
Mithrandir, thnx for picking new subjects over and over again.
Bramela, thats a very different shot of leading lines, no perspectives, very original, i like it.
Nomad, great picture with tough light conditions, there are so many lines in this one leading to the persons at the bar, bravo.

Willem
01-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice job on the judging Corey -thanks for the comments - I did want a camel in that shot however .. haha - congrats to all and the winners in particular.
01-28-2010, 07:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Congrats to the winners!

Molto bene Wllm!!!

Great job judging Corey, as always.
01-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A lot of great images, watching from the sidelines was entertaining. Wllm, that's a fantastic capture. It really leads the eye well.
01-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot Willm! I liked that one best too, but lots of good stuff from all!