Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Weekly Challenge Winners #124 - Melancholy
Posted By: Iris, 02-09-2010, 03:49 PM

I am not sure about you, but I enjoyed this week very much. So I want to thank everybody for participating!
I saw many great pictures and I enjoyed the stories in which you all tried to explain why it fits the theme.
I was amazed by the variety of pictures. When choosing the subject I was afraid that I would end up with people-shots only, but luckily you proved me wrong!
My overall feeling after seeing all your pictures is that besides people, also animals and B&W-pictures give melancholy feelings!

It was great to see so many new members entering this weekly challenge. It is not an easy subject and I really love your enthusiasm.
I hope you are entering next week again!

QuoteOriginally posted by wllm Quote
Very nice subject Iris, a hard one to judge, because these pictures have a very personal touch for everyone, I guess.
As Willem already said, judging this challenge is not easy.
I am just a beginner who got lucky winning last week.
That’s why I choose a highly subjective theme. It’s all about the feeling I have with a picture and not about the perfect shot.
That makes the judging easier, because I can never do it wrong …..(although you can disagree of course)!
I will comment on the entries (and tell you what I feel seeing the picture) and in the end I will sum up the third to first place.

jimH: If you are not a big fan of snow, I can image that snow makes you melancholic! For me this is different, is still feel the excitement every time I see snow. The snow looks a bit pink on my screen.

Mark Morb: I like this statue. The pose gives me a very melancholic feeling. I think the picture would look more melancholic if it was a bit darker!

Scott (irishwhite): It’s a lovely portrait and the overall picture gives me a melancholic feeling.

Susan (slowpez): I love the simplicity of this picture! I can imagine the partially closed hand evokes melancholic feelings.

Tamia: Great to see you are participating again. Looks like you’re enjoying these challenges!
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
He called and no others came.
Your story gave me a very melancholic feeling. But my first impression seeing your picture was “spring is just around the corner”!

Rense:
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Knowing Iris, I'm not raising my chances with 1.) a people shot, and 2.) a framed shot, but I felt I had to enter this one.
yep impossible to win! No just kidding. I love the colours and the framing of this picture. I can imagine this shot makes you melancholic. It makes me longing for summer and my untroubled childhood!

Willem (wllm): Nice shot from a very melancholic place. The B&W adds to the melancholic feeling. I don’t like the dark thing behind her back much; perhaps you could have prevented this with a slightly different angle.

Dave (daacon): Very melancholic picture Dave and this feeling is increased through all the headless people that walk away! I would have preferred a slightly different framing. It’s quite a busy picture, but the centre of the picture is almost empty!

Paul (Oldschool): I love the colour and the atmosphere in this picture. It fits the theme perfectly.

Alex (Blaze): I absolutely agree with you, shooting melancholic landscapes is far from easy (especially when you have nice weather)! I think you did a good job; this desolate area gives me melancholy feelings.

Frank (xs400): Did you take this picture in San Francisco? I am not sure why this picture gives you melancholy feelings (you didn’t tell me), but for me it brings back memories to my holiday in California last October where we visited San Francisco. Gives me a melancholic feeling because I want to go back!

NaClH2O: I like this picture very much. The ice, dead leaves and sweet gum seed husk and the colours of the picture reminds me of a sad winter day.

Koor (elle.e): It’s a beautiful sharp image Koor and also the lighting is very nice! I can imagine this little Shetland pony gives you melancholy feelings.

Bruce (Bramela): That’s absolutely a very dull, grey day…. let’s stay in bed instead of going outside……

Dave (dave kitson): Love your comment ….
QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote
This picture suggests to me that this alpha-male is finding his responsibilities just too much....
I can imagine he’s feeling very melancholic.

Peter (PFH): Poor Ducks….I think they are not a big fan of ice…..

Michael (lumin0us): Great that you participated. I love the idea behind the picture. It’s absolutely a picture that makes me melancholic.

Robin (bumbibop): Thanks for participating (and sorry I know the theme is a bit hard). I love your picture. I can imagine that you’re not a big fan of snow when you love biking. But as I already wrote earlier, I still feel the excitement every time I see snow!

johnnyboy114: Good to see so many new members participating, thanks for your entry. I like the picture and I agree with you that she looks very relaxed….and I don’t associate this with melancholy!

RollsUp: Very nice portrait. He doesn’t seem to enjoy the ice/snow much, does he? I love the contrast; the B&W works well in this picture.

Cantor (Keiler): Thanks for participating. You are only allowed to post one picture, so I will take your first shot because I think that’s the most melancholic of the two! I like the picture, choosing this colour adds to my melancholy feelings.

Vaughn (VaughnA): Not the first death flower I see in this challenge, but still gives me a melancholic feeling. Especially the way this single rose is hanging, with that heavy weight of snow on his back…

Reeftool:
Lovely picture! I didn’t see the melancholic feeling in it until I read your comment. Next time I see this scene I am sure I will feel the same!

John (jheu02): I totally agree with you that this dirty melting snow on a rainy grey day gives me depressive feelings. I love the way the rain on the window is blurring things, it definitely adds to the melancholic mood!

sam1989: Thanks for participating! That’s a nice capture. He doesn’t look happy and the position of his face and the B&W adds to that feeling.

Honorable Mention - Mel: I love your courage for submitting a picture with lack of sharpness and I am really happy you did! I was hoping somebody would, because in this challenge it’s all about capturing this specific mood and the lack of sharpness in this picture helps with that. The texture and the colour gives me a nostalgic feeling, it looks like old wall-paper!

Third place – Carl (fractal): It’s a very dramatic pose of this girl. She makes me feel like her world collapsed around her. Nice shot, well done!

Second place - Tim (atupdate):
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I feel guilty entering this image, as it won Weekly Challenge #50 - Expressions. But it fits this challenge perfectly and is an image I will never be able to duplicate if I tried. Feel free to consider it as an exhibition piece instead of an entry if you so desire Iris.
Thanks for your honesty Tim. I agree that this picture fits this challenge perfectly and for me it doesn’t matter that it already won earlier! Like Robin already said it gave me a tear-dropping feeling. It beautiful in its sadness and very melancholic, well done!

First place - Keitha McCall (K McCall): It’s not easy capturing a landscape which gives a melancholic feeling. In my opinion you did a great job! I love the B&W and the high contrast and the silhouette of this person adds even more to the melancholy feeling! It’s a brilliant picture Keitha! Congratulations!

Views: 3,390
02-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Iris for a great theme and wonderful judging. Definitely a hard subject to judge. Great job!
Congrats to Keitha, Tim, Carl and Mel. I was surprised that my top four were THE top four. Good show everybody!

NaCl(looking forward to the next one)H2O

02-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations Keitha!

Thanks Iris for doing the judging. And thanks very much for the feedback on all the entries.
02-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats everyone and a pat on the back for Iris who did a great job.