Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
WINNERS - P52, Opposites
Posted By: DanLoc78, 02-12-2010, 07:53 AM

As requested...here is the link to the Opposites theme https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/88736...opposites.html

I apologize immensely for not getting to this sooner. So without further ado...critiques of all the photos and the results:

Here I will list the opposites that each participant included in their post as well as any I saw myself. I learned that you can easily spend a good amount of time per photograph looking for opposites...so after I saw a couple in each I would tend to move on to the next.

Rense (Chess). Opposites: might/weak, black/white, near/far, in focus/oof, tall/short.

Bonus points for a nice depth of field, some side lighting to give the chess pieces a real 3D look, and a nice, simple background. All of these factors combined with a nice perspective to create an elegant image.

Daacon (Apples to Oranges). Opposites: light/dark (membrane/flesh), smooth/bumpy (textures), sweet/sour.

Bonus points for very literal translation of the theme. Would maybe have liked some lighting from the side and maybe a tad more subdued, just seems a touch harsh.

Tamia (Reflections). Opposites: solid/liquid, light/dark, flowing/stagnant, transparent/opaque.

Bonus points for a lot of interesting areas of the image to view. I especially like the sharp edges of the shadows and the transparency of the water.

Mithrandir (Car/Truck). Opposites: Too many to list but we will anyway. domestic/foreign, covered in snow/uncovered, full size/compact, downhill/uphill, front (of the car)/rear, dark/light, wooded/clear.

Bonus points for so many opposites in one pic. This was definitely a case where I could have spent more time finding even more opposites other than those you stated in your post. Nicely done.

Wllm (Wrenches). Opposites: big/small, shiny/rusty, textured/smooth, dark/bright, heavy/light.

Bonus points for simplicity, nice textures, and effective depth of field.

Iris (Piano keys). Opposites: black/white, large/small, top/bottom, wide (white keys)/narrow (black keys).

Bonus points for a nice angle, subdued lighting, and I especially love the highlights on the keys. The color in this pic seems just a touch off to me...could be my monitor though...but it probably would look really nice as a black and white too.

Bramela (flowers). Opposites: light/dark, simple/complex (folds of pedals), highlights/shadows.

Bonus for a nice depth of field and for spotting this photo op without staging it.

xs400 (Flower/bud). Opposites: in focus/oof, open/closed, big/little, light/dark, old/young(maybe), foreground/background, complex/simple.

Bonus points for a nice depth of field and a great perspective of the two flowers, each with a different type of lighting. Would maybe have liked to have seen more of the big flower, but like it as is also.

ceericks (construction/destruction). Opposites: construction/destruction, light/dark, open/confined (fence).

Bonus points for a nice black and white conversion, vignetting that IMO adds to the photo, and a solid impact showing the buildings in their erected and destroyed states.

3rd place: ceericks

2nd place: xs400 (see attached pic) (for some reason i can't get a link to this image)

1st place: Rense. Love the elegance, simplicity, and symbolism. Strong black and white conversion to boot.

Nice job everyone, there were some truly thoughtful images for this theme. It made for some very thoughtful (not to mention tough) judging. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with for panning.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by DanLoc78; 02-12-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Views: 3,470
02-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to the winners. Very nice interpretations of the theme. Great job of judging Dan.
02-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you Dan for the first place!

Corey and Frank, congrats for the third and second. I liked the submissions for this P52 very much, some great interpretations. Please feel welcome to enter your photos for the next P52 (panning)!!
02-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Rense...I already knew as soon as I saw you picture!
Corey and Frank, also congrats.

Thanks Dan for judging and your comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Thank you Dan for the first place!
Please feel welcome to enter your photos for the next P52 (panning)!!
Patience...hopefully tomorrow

Last edited by Iris; 02-12-2010 at 08:56 AM.
02-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It would be nice if there was a link to the original challenge even though it is listed in the quick links below the page.
02-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
It would be nice if there was a link to the original challenge even though it is listed in the quick links below the page.
I will add this! and good idea!
02-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice judging Dan (for a Canon guy ) - seems you have taken a break from shovelling - man you have been hit hard.

Mine was harsh as using off camera flash - pretty newbie at that stuff - suppose like anything else it needs pratice.

Congrats to all and especially ceericks , Frank and Rense - when I first saw Rense's post I kinda figured it was be tough to beat nicely done.
02-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Rense gefeliciteerd het is je weer gelukt! Frank and Corey congrets also!
Dan thanks for shoveling snow and judging off corse.

02-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Excellent shot Rense. Your win was well deserved. And congrats Corey for 3rd place.
And thanks for judging and also for choosing mine as 2nd place. It is much appreciated.
02-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Rense, Frank, and Corey. Thanks for judging, Dan -- great job. Well done everyone. Beautiful photos in this comp.