Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
PROJECT 52-2-34 Shutter: Fast WINNERS
Posted By: Iris, 03-09-2010, 11:04 AM

Interesting discussions and interpretations of this project 52, week 34! After a slow start, we had eleven entries in the end. Thank you all for participating (again).

Photolady: Very classical to use a high shutter speed for capturing a bird. But it’s a very fine capture. I love the way it is flying just above the water!

Tamia: I love this picture. You nicely stopped the water falling down and coming up with your high shutter speed! The amber colour is adding much to this picture, it makes it really interesting.

Rob (mithrandir): Great to see you were trying something new and you managed to stop a water-drop in flight! The dark ground, together with the dark pipe is a bit too much for my liking!

Rense: Interesting choice of subject (and I don’t mean the beautiful blonde )! I like the light in this picture and the way you stopped the smoke. I would have preferred to see more face of this woman and less hair!

Tim (atupdate): Good to see you did enter eventually! What a lovely picture of Amber. I hope you can enjoy her presence for many more years. I like the light in this picture very much!

Ken (seacapt): Very interesting subject and I can imagine it was more challenging than you expected. I love that the arrow is still in the picture. I cannot read your exif, so I don’t know fast your shutter speed was. Personally I am not a big fan of the partial colouring!

Bruce (Bramela): Of course 1/800 sec. qualifies, you had to stop the butterfly! The picture is a bit small, so for me hard to judge. Too bad the top of the wing is just outside in the picture. The picture reminds me of spring, something I am really longing for!

Dan (DanLoc78): Sounds terrible in Florida on vacation . Nice capture in which you needed the high shutter speed to stop the action. Love the way you captured the wing, but I would have preferred to see more details in the head. It is now quite dark.

Keith (Nomad): A playful dog is never easy to capture and you did a nice job with your high shutter speed. I somehow have the feeling the head of the dog could be a bit sharper.

Frank (xs400): Lovely picture with a nice composition and framing. Reminds me of spring a lot! I can imagine you need to use a high shutter speed on a windy day.

Ohce: You are allowed to enter just one image. I decided to go for the last one, because that’s the one with the fastest shutter speed and the one I like most! I like the way the enthusiasm of the boy is catched in this picture and the fact that the boy is completely free from the ground!

And now the very subjective ranking :

3rd Place: Photolady

2nd Place: Ohce

1st Place: Tamia

Congratulations!
Views: 2,237
03-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamia, congrats with this well deserved first! And Ohce and Photolady: congrats to you both too! Lovely pics overall, but you three would have been my favourites too!
Iris, you dedicated quite some of your time to this judging, again! Thanks, great job, well done!
03-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great job everyone! Congrats to the top 3 very well deserved. Thanks for the comments Iris and wonderful job judging.
03-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Iris,

Thanks for the feedback and for judging this week. I looked back at my picture and you are right...I definately didn't nail the focus on Abe (our dog).

Gratz to all the winners with some good images.
ohce, your picture really made me smile! What a cute kid and a really great capture of the fun that he was having out in the snow!!

03-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gosh, I'm humbled! There were such good photos in this Project 52. Congratulations Ohce and Photolady, and thanks for judging, Iris. Your thoughtful comments about each photo help hone my eye. Thanks to you, too, Rob, for giving structure to these weekly projects -- they help expand my horizons by encouraging me to shoot pictures I might not otherwise take.
03-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Congratulations Tamia, a well deserved win.
Ohce : love your shot. Brilliant colour and great expression. Somebody loves the winter weather it seems.

Well judged Iris, thanks for the comments. You were spot on with the comments on my shot, I was aware of the many shortcomings before entering the shot
03-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for the comments Iris! Was unaware that I lost exif in PP. I usually don't like to talk too much about a photo before it's been judged so to answer your question , shot at 1/3000 f 3.5 ISO 800 35mm. I have been working with the school archery team lately. Took about 80 pictures before catching an arrow in frame. I really am not a fan of the focal B/W either but because of the noise and DOF in this shot I thought it would bring attention to the arrow and de-emphasize the some other issues.

03-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Congratulations Tamia, Ohce and Photolady, and thanks for judging, Iris. I just got back from out of town. There were some fine shots posted while I was gone.
03-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks Iris for the third place. I missed this. I just got home from the hospital and have not taken any photos this week.

At the hospital I found out I have COPD and now have to be on medication for that but am okay because it helps me breathe.

Just before I left I got my new eneloops and have them now in the K100D planning on shooting more birds tomorrow.

Congrats to the first and second place winners. You did good kids.
03-12-2010, 03:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I just got home from the hospital and have not taken any photos this week.

At the hospital I found out I have COPD and now have to be on medication for that but am okay because it helps me breathe.
I am sorry to hear this photolady! I hope you will stay okay with the medication.
Good luck.