Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
PROJECT 52-2-35 Shutter: Slow WINNERS
Posted By: Tamia, 03-15-2010, 05:31 AM

PROJECT 52-2-35 is closed to entries. Thanks go out to everyone who entered. This wasn't an easy project, and
you all did an admirable job. This is my first time judging, and it's a lot more difficult than being a contestant! One of the things I
look for in slow shutter speed photos is the contrast between moving and stationary elements, and In think that a successful
juxtaposition between them is important to make slow shutter speed photos most appealing.

So now you know my thoughts on this kind of photography, here is my assessment:

Ash You have captured the fluid motion of water swirling around the solid, unmovable outcrop. Composition is very good, with
the converging triangles of bedrock and dreamy spume carrying the eye deep into the picture, where it then can drift freely along the
(straight) horizon and back to land to begin the journey once more. The colors are beautiful and complimentary. The faint blue smudge
or cloning attempt in the upper right portion of the photo was mildly distracting once I noticed it, but overall, this photo is a smashing
success, and makes me wish I was standing there on the shore.

Iris Yours is an imaginative approach to this subject, particularly as you are trying something you would never have attempted
if it wasn't for this P52 project theme. I love the layers in your evocative photo. Composition is a success, as my eye was first drawn
to the lights, then down the cord, then... awareness. It was a bit like seeing a photo resolve in the darkroom. Appealing sepia hues and
good tonal range. The sharper "light stars" and textured backboard contrast pleasingly with the softness of the rest of the image. Motion
is shown by the blurring of the pillows and the ghostly figures. An ingenious subject for this project, and very nicely done.

Rense I love the setting, the wetness, and the colors in your waterfall photo. The stationary objects are in focus, and you achieved
the blurring of water without overexposing the picture. Compositionally it works well, and my eye never becomes bored -- I want to keep
looking the photo. It draws a strong emotional response, making me wish I was hiking in those woods to smell the rich earth and feel the
coolness of the mist kicked up by the falling water. The photo might gain a bit more "punch" if the saturation and contrast were boosted
very slightly, but overall it does a fine job of capturing the personality of the setting while showing water on the move.

Rob/Mithrandir It can be very difficult to capture the drama of rain hitting still water, to successfully show the interference patterns
you describe, but you've achieved it. The flooded faded grass and old fallen leaves, the disturbed surface of the puddle, with its wild ripples
and dimpling all tell the story of a deluge on saturated ground as the season transitions from winter to spring. By including portions of the
"dry" ground above the water level, you provide that solid element against which to scale and gauge the intensity of the rain. The scene's
drama makes it possible for me to imagine the sound and smells of the setting, and to know just how it would feel underfoot if I was walking
there. The photo is a bit grainy, perhaps due to compression to reduce the picture's size, or maybe because the shot was taken in dim lighting
with the 400 ISO, but in a way that emphasizes the hammering of the rain.

Tom/Tpeace Using a slow shutter speed did a wonderful job of blurring the motion of the palms against the stationary light and allowed
you to achieve your goal to give the clouds a silky texture. The photo is well composed with the sky taking up most of the frame. This in
combination with the subtly colored dawn, the dramatic sky, and the always faithful light make this picture tell the story. I would love to be
standing there to feel the wind, smell the sea, and enjoy the awakening of the day. The horizon is not quite level, and the light is tilted, but
the horizon is easily addressed, and I don't feel that the tilted light detracts from the overall mood of the photo. I think if the scene had more
contrast it would have been stunning.

Now for the hardest part, ranking your photos, and in the end, choosing winners came down to my subjective views. Here goes ...

Third Place: Iris

Second Place: Rense

First Place: Ash

Congratulations All!
Views: 2,092
03-15-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Tamia, thanks for the second. Congrats to Ash, you submitted a wonderful picture, and to Iris, with her exciting one....
You did a wonderful job Tamia, thank you!
Up for the next, I hope there will be more than 4 entries!
03-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Tamia for your kind words regarding my picture!
You did a great job doing this judging, hopefully the first of many
Congratulations to Rense and Ash!

Last edited by Iris; 03-15-2010 at 11:53 AM.
03-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice entries for this challenge. Congrats to Rense and all the others for some very interesting shots. I wish I'd had the time to submit an entry.

03-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to Ash, Rense and Iris ... very nice entries. Great job of judging, Tamia.
03-18-2010, 03:00 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the vote Tamia. The commentary is appreciated.
Lots of great unique work being posted up here.