Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly Challenge #23 - Winner
Posted By: Jonas B, 07-13-2007, 04:36 PM

Hi

We are all the winners. That's the way it is. We win by choosing a picture from our archives, or by thinking about how to take a picture for a challenge. Then we win again when we look at the contributions. Yes, that's the way it is. Still there can be one winner only.

31 pictures, different areas (but some lacking; no star trails, not many experiments), some good, some not as good - I had to look through the contributions a couple of times to pick a winner:

Congratulations to Tyler! With the picture

"dad dancing with daughters at wedding reception"

he won this Mini Challenge. This is a picture that made an impression. It's easy to sit and look at it for a while letting the thoughts come and go. Great value of simplicity and substance combined with good technique. The capture, the composition, the technique and the PP are all good. Choice of motif is excellent and I'm always weak for good B&W.

As you already noticed I am not presenting pictures in order 5,4,3,2,1 as it sometimes is done. That is too hard for me.

I instead offer to give my personal, subjective and probably unfair critique to anyone participating who asks for it. Reply here and ask for the judge's saying and I'll get back with something for you. What was good, what made an impression, what could have been better and why the heck didn't you win this? I'll watch the thread until Monday. Then my vacation starts and I'll be off from here for some time.

Well Tyler, now it is your turn to host the next Weekly mini Challenge.

thank you all, you forced me to make some thinking,
Views: 3,924
07-13-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great job all. There were some great shots and personally I would have had a hard time choosing between the winner and the cab in front of the Radio City music hall. IMHO there were about 4-5 that would have been great secondplace shots. Great stuff!
07-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I loved this one. Great choice for winner. Congrats to Tyler! (And nice offer from Jonas - too bad I didn't enter).
07-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Awesome choice, definately one of my favorites

07-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Very artistic blurr. Well chosen
07-13-2007, 10:17 PM   #6

congrats to the winner! it's a very artistic and inspiring approach to the use of blur
07-14-2007, 12:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Good one!

I knew this one was gonna be it, good choice Jonas, and congrats to the Winner!

Cheers,
-Asad

07-14-2007, 03:54 AM   #8

Congrats to the winner

My choice would have been HINCKC Cab with no wheels

My opinion is motion should show a certain aspect of the image perfectly still and in focus as this really shows off the motion aspect of the shot. The cab with no wheels does just that and is far more technical and harder to acheive than the winning image.
07-14-2007, 07:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Tyler, for me it was probably the most emotionally evocative photos entered.

NaCl(I probably would have picked it as #1 too, but there were a lot of #2 choices)H2O
07-14-2007, 07:39 AM   #10
Forum Member

Great pick and a wonderful capture, congratulation Tyler
07-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
I loved this one. Great choice for winner. Congrats to Tyler! (And nice offer from Jonas - too bad I didn't enter).
Thank you. Oh, I can give critique to one of your pictures some other time...

regards,
07-15-2007, 07:46 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Thank you all very much for the kind words and thank you Jonas for choosing me as the winner. I was actually very suprised I was chosen as the winner for this one. There were alot of other excellent photos that I believe had an excellent chance of winning as well. The funny thing about this picture was it was kinda of an accident. The blur was not intentional. It was just that the lighting in the room was soo bad that the only way to get a properly exposed photo was to use a fairly show shutter speed but it worked so its all good. Thanks again Jonas

cheers,
Tyler
07-16-2007, 06:07 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tyler Quote
Thank you all very much for the kind words and thank you Jonas for choosing me as the winner. I was actually very suprised I was chosen as the winner for this one. There were alot of other excellent photos that I believe had an excellent chance of winning as well. The funny thing about this picture was it was kinda of an accident. The blur was not intentional. It was just that the lighting in the room was soo bad that the only way to get a properly exposed photo was to use a fairly show shutter speed but it worked so its all good. Thanks again Jonas

cheers,
Tyler
De nada Tyler. I just did my duty and picked the winner. Motion blur pictures are most often a result of experimenting, several tries, circumstances, good luck and so on. But, you need the idea and the eye when taking it, then you post it and one is the winner. I like the picture a lot as it conveys (is that the right word?) a lot of feelings.

I wish you good luck hosting #24!
07-16-2007, 06:13 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
-snip-
As you already noticed I am not presenting pictures in order 5,4,3,2,1 as it sometimes is done. That is too hard for me.

I instead offer to give my personal, subjective and probably unfair critique to anyone participating who asks for it. Reply here and ask for the judge's saying and I'll get back with something for you. What was good, what made an impression, what could have been better and why the heck didn't you win this? I'll watch the thread until Monday. Then my vacation starts and I'll be off from here for some time.
This was obviously not a very good idea... Sorry.

I'm not monitoring this thread any longer. I'll pack my bags for a short vacation and wish you all luck trying to capture the decisive moments of life. Or, be a part of those moments and capture the result later!

may the light be with you,
07-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My internet connection was down since Thursday and this is my first time in here since then. Congrats, Tyler!