Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
WINNERS! Project 52-2-37 Animal
Posted By: Tamia, 03-29-2010, 05:18 AM

Project 52-2-37 is closed to entries. Thanks to all the photogs who entered, and you all did a
fine job on the subject of animals. Though in some taxonomies "animals" is often reserved for mammals, my view is that
this is a far broader category containing the organisms of the kingdom Animalia. So, to answer Photolady's implicit
question, birds (and snails, and insects, etc.) all fit. To me, successful animal photos capture the character of the animal
or animals, and they are portrayed in a way that's aesthetically appealing, whether the nature of the photo is dramatic,
humorous, documentary, or elsewise.

Alright, to the judging. I'll comment in order of submission...

Rense Wonderful how you captured the snail's eye stalks and olfactory sensors stretched out about as far as they'll
go as he investigates his unfamiliar surroundings. Your black tile was an inspired platform. The negative space enhances
the composition, and the deep, glossy black emphasizes the snail's subtle coloration, his own glossiness, and his texture.
The bright highlights, both on the snail's body and in the reflection, serve to make an appealing photo. Sharp, striking,
and beautiful. And I'm impressed you kept slime trails out of the picture.

Shooz You've done a fabulous job capturing the sloth's deliberate movements, his single-mindedness, and his
relaxed character. Foreground and background bokeh is appealing and compliments your main subject. His eyes are sharp
and there's no doubt that he is concentrating on his salad. He seems contented and happy, with no cares in the world. A
soothing photo.

Sheela A very "touching" moment . Terrific juxtapositions -- black and white, caution and friendliness, thin and
hefty, even smooth collar versus a studded one. Patricia's and Boris' expressions are so very well captured at just the
right moment, and I love those soupy doggy eyes. Nicely captured.

Seacapt A mixed flock of blackbirds is patroling the ground for grubs outside my window as I study your photo, and
your picture evokes a sense of expectation and knife-edged anticipation... will the perched bird fly and follow the first?
What's he looking at? Danger? Will a larger flock follow? I like the composition a lot, and the colors are pleasing. The body
of the perched bird could be a bit sharper, but I like the picture and want to step out onto that porch to enjoy the
surroundings.

Frank/xs400 I'm glad you spared them long enough to get some pictures. I sympathize with your rose bush, but
aphids make appealing models for the lens, and you've done a great job with this one. The limited depth of field and tight
crop emphasize the swarming of the little critters, and your picture captures their industry. The colors are rich, and the
bokeh is pleasing, too. Well done.

Iris You've captured the devotion of geese very well, and I really like how the one on the left is curious about
what's drawing the attention of the other. You chose your exposure well, capturing the subtly colored feathers while not
overexposing the wonderfully soft white feathers.

Tom/Ramseybuckeye You take me back to my youth when I lived in dairy country, and it's good to see cows who
are allowed to keep their horns. I can just about imagine what Number 96 (I preferred it when cows had names like
Daisy and Buttercup) is thinking as she takes her ease. You've captured cow personality and behavior. I like how there
are animals elsewhere in the picture, too, with the brown cow looking over her shoulder as if asking, "Are you coming, or
what?" Very pleasing and contented, yet expectant... will it rain?

Photolady I'm glad you decided to submit your photo, as it's a super action shot. While most photos of herons
show them posing, it's not as common to be there to capture them in motion. Your picture has everything -- you've
stopped the heron's stabbing thrust, you've caught the splashing water in mid-air, and there are even large beads of
water on the bird's back feathers. Color is true and appealing, and the composition is spot-on. Excellent in every way.

Keith/Nomad Oh it's cold there, look at the streams of vapor issuing from the animals' flared nostrils, the beads of
moisture on their snouts and foreheads, and the man with his fist in his jacket pocket. You've done a great job capturing
the texture of the cattles' dense fur/hair, and also of their resignation at being yoked. Nicely composed, love the limited
DOF, the backlit hairs, and the atmosphere this image conveys. Everything about the photo is very good.

There are such good photos in this week's project, and I liked all of them, so it was difficult narrowing down the entries to
choose only three winners. I had an especially difficult time picking between first and second places, and in the end chose
based on technical skill, difficulty in capturing the shot, and success in portraying the essence of the animals in the
photos. So, here are my subjective rankings:

Third Place Nomad

Second Place Rense

First Place Photolady

Congratulations everyone!

Last edited by Tamia; 03-29-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Views: 2,785
03-29-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Man, this is Great!! I never thought when I entered this bird it would get 1st place. Thank you Tamia.

Congrats to Rense and Nomad too.

Great bunch of photos this week.
03-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the excellent judging again Tamia!
Congratulations Mar, Rense and Keith!
03-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Man, this is Great!! I never thought when I entered this bird it would get 1st place. Thank you Tamia.

Congrats to Rense and Nomad too.

Great bunch of photos this week.
Great job Photolady, Rense and Nomad! Very HQ entries!
Tamia, great job hosting and judging!
Tom

03-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice job of judging Tamia. Congratulations to the winners and all who entered. Great bunch of approaches to the subject matter. Now off to capture automobiles. Keep safe everyone!
03-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to the winners, and thanks Tamia for the judging and the critiques.
03-30-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Thanks for the comments Tamia, and congradulations to Photlady.
Well done to all.

03-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

who is photlady? It has another o in there shoz.

And thanks everyone for the congrats. I really didn't think I had a chance against Rense's snail.
03-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #9

congrats to the winners and thanks to Tamia for her comments on the photos
03-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for judging Tamia.

great shots and congrats to Photolady and Rense who really set the bar high last week!!
Photolady,
i love that capture and the perfect focus of the water drops in the splash!! Very vivid
04-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been away for some days, so I'm a little late....

Thanks for judging Tamia, and for commenting on every photo so extensively! Great job!!
Mar, congrats on your first, it's well deserved. And congrats to Keith too, wonderful photo!
04-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #12

Great captures! I especially like the one of the snail, haven't seen one of those in a while around where I live, but I practically grew up with those things. It's pictures like these that makes me want to head home and head out