Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Project 52-3 Moderator
Posted By: mithrandir, 04-07-2010, 06:14 PM

I just posted the subject for Week 52-2-40. This means we are a mere 12 weeks away from year 3 of Project 52. Do we have a volunteer to moderate year 3? This is your chance if you would like to bring new ideas and directions to Project 52.
Views: 4,424
04-10-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you get any response yet, Rob?
04-10-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Did you get any response yet, Rob?
It has been underwhelming. You are the first.
04-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Rob,

First and foremost I want to commend both you and Dan for the commitment and job you have done during the first two years.

I probably can't commit to 52 weeks given some of the real life commitments I already know I'll have in the next 12 months, but I'd be happy to collaberate with one or more folks to keep this going into the future. Maybe 3 or 4 folks each taking over for 4 or 3 months a piece.

Also, maybe we can explore some ideas to encourage more participation. Here are a few of my thoughts:

- Longer time windows for shooting. with busy lives, a week can get rushed.

- Advanced publishing of weekly topics (think you did this at the start of year two),

- Occasional group voting instead of designated judges. I think it would be interesting to try this once or twice. If it goes well, then maybe do it once a month or so.

- Add critique weeks when a photo are critiqued via Private Message. After all, the point of these weekly projects is to improve our shooting skills. Sometimes I know I hold back criticisms when publish comments in the public lists. (Maybe allow for an opt-out option if they don't want the critique)

- a season long scoring category. Base points for participating each week with additional points for top three finish each week based upon the judged results.

Let's see if that's enough to get the conversation started.

Regards,
-tom

04-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Rob for being the moderator last year.
Although I am still quite new I really enjoy this project 52 and I hope somebody will keep this thing going (Rense: is you question a secret way to let us know you are interested? ) .
Starting a collaboration (as Tom suggested) sounds like a good idea!

I am not a big fan of all the suggestions Tom did, but it's great to see people are willing to think about it and trying to make it even more interesting than it is already!

About the participation:
After winning the weekly challenge, I started to ask people in the welcomes and introductions section to participate in my weekly challenge.
This worked quite well, so perhaps we should promote P52 more often!

Last edited by Iris; 04-12-2010 at 10:31 AM.
04-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Iris Quote
Thanks Rob for being the moderator last year.
Although I am still quite new I really enjoy this project 52and I hope somebody will keep this thing going (Rense: is you question a secret way to let us know you are interested? ) .
You know me too well, I guess. Yes it was.

Starting a collaboration (as Tom suggested) sounds like a good idea!

I am not a big fan of all the suggestions Tom did, but it's great to see people are willing to think about it and trying to make it even more interesting than it is already!
I agree with Iris.

About the participation:
After winning the weekly challenge, I started to ask people in the welcomes and introductions section to participate in my weekly challenge.
This worked quite well, so perhaps we should promote P52 more often!
I followed Iris in this, and I must say that in those particular weeks we invited new members to the P52, the number of participants was significantly (loosely spoken ) higher. So probably this should be don on a more regular basis?
04-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You all have some great ideas. Perhaps the regulars (and those who would like to commit to year 3) could vote on ideas which could then be implemented for P52-3. If one person doesn't want to do it all, collaboration is a great idea. It is nice to have backup when you have to be away from the internet. Advertising is something that went right over my head. It sounds like a great way to raise awareness.

04-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been too tied up to visit the forum more than once or twice this week, so please excuse my silence.

Rob, I very much appreciate the time you've taken with P52, which is one of my favorite projects -- THANKS! Great subjects you chose, too. Having a tight shooting period and specific subjects is challenging and encourages me to tackle subjects which I might not have already tried.

If the time period was extended beyond a week, the project might lose a little of its tang, but on the other hand a couple weeks for a project might allow people to fit it into their busy schedules and also encourage them to tackle a subject which is difficult for them. Also, when mother nature must cooperate, as with the recent one on clouds, it could be beneficial if folks had more than a week to get a chance at a challenge.

My schedule for the next eight-ten months is so tight I'm not sure I could commit to hosting for long stretches. However, if we could "trade off" when time was tight, or take on the job of moderator for a shorter period, then it would be possible to share the burden.

Judging: That's a tough one. Might be hard logistically to do voting. Being the judge is not easy, but on the other hand, the two times I've done it I've learned a lot because I had to critique each photo, which required looking and thinking carefully. Not sure that the present system whereby a winner goes on to judge might be the best way forward.

How clever, Iris and Rense, to think to invite new members! An excellent idea!

It's getting late and I might have left something out. It's worth continuing P52, and we ought to be able to find a way to do it.
04-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Announcing the Project 52-3 Moderator

Rense has kindly offered to take Project 52 into year three. Please give him the great support and assistance that you have given Dan and myself for years 1 and 2. If you have any brilliant ideas on how to improve Project 52 or for some new and exciting topics please send them to Rense who is working on the list for year three.

I have really enjoyed doing year two. I also like the concept of switching off moderators each year so the project doesn't become stale.

Best regards

Rob "Mithrandir"

04-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rob you did a great job this year!
And I am sure Rense will do a great job in year 3
04-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

As most of you would be aware I try to participate in most of the comps. I think this format is great, but tend to agree, in some cases one week puts a little too much pressure on. But would changing that give the format a whole new concept??

I, too, am a fairly busy person but perhaps, might be interested in a short term stint.

If short terms were decided upon, I suggest a calendar be produced showing all participants and when they are called upon, be put out at start of the year.

My congratulations and thanks to Dan and Rob for their excellent contribution in the P52 competitions.
04-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rob, a big thanks for such a fine job moderating and hosting P52. I only arrived on the scene at the close of 2009, but have been impressed with the quality of this forum and the willingness of participants to encourage and help one another. Rense, thanks for taking on the role of moderating P52 in future. I'm looking forward to it!
04-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks for stepping up Rense! I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Being somewhat of a purist, I rather like the format the way it is. But I would be open to voting if that's the way everyone wants to handle it. I loved the changes Rob made to the format, and I'm sure Rense will add his own personal touches to it. And it will grow and get better and better.

Who knows, maybe I'll be back with Pentax before Year 3 starts!
04-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Dan!

To be honest: I like P52 the way it is, and I shall explain why. After this explanation, anyone
who wants to bring in new ideas is welcome: I will weigh them and try to incorporate them.

Here are my thoughts. P52 gives an opportunity to sho shoot new things, with new methods.
This is expressed by several participants over the last year. P52 makes you shoot subjects you
never shoot, or with methods you never used before. I recognise the 1 week term is quite short,
but I feel this is one of the attractive sides of the current format of P52: most of the time it's a
short 'introduction' on the subject or method. New week, new chances.

Then there is the voting. I must say it's not one of my favourite things to do, but then: it makes
me look very meticulously to the submitted photos. I have to phrase what I like and dislike
on the submitted photos, and thus it's a big learning moment for me myself.

On the subjects and methods. I think I will take Rob's list and see what needs further exploitation,
what can be substituted and what can stay for another year. This makes that new things/ways are
mixed with old ones. I hope this will give us new challenges enough!

Comments, suggestions? Please post them here!! I am most gratefull in advance!

Last edited by Rense; 04-15-2010 at 09:09 AM.
04-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

well said, and couldn't agree more!