Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #16
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice job. I was thinking that breaking down images by the individual lens was better in some ways than just having a 'Lens club.' Often I want to see specific images from a particular FA or K or other series lens and not have to scroll through pages of posts to get to one or two images of the specific lens in question.

I have one suggestion and it may be too difficult or I may have over looked it. Is it possible to have a link on the top of each lens review page that can take you to the respective lens picture archive thread? Often, I will look up a lens and read the reviews. I then want to see representative shots taken with the lens. Some reviewers included images with their review but many do not. If there was a tab at the top of lens review page that one could click to instantly see hundred shots, it would be great. Besides, this will help me be more efficient with my LBA. Thanks.

08-12-2011, 04:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I post a photo in this archive, it is to give somebody who is interested in buying a similar lense, a true reflection of what my lens is capable of. I post unedited photo's or unedited and edited versions to show what can be done with the lens. Although I haven't looked at all the posts, I do not see others do the same. Now as I see it, if you take the same photo taken with a certain lens, to Tanner, or somebody with his PP skills, and to me with my minimal skills, the outcome would differ dramatically, giving a distorted view of the lens.
So, my question is, although not enforceable, should those contributing to this archive not be urgently requested, to indicate if and what PP was done to the photo they've posted ?
08-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
When I post a photo in this archive, it is to give somebody who is interested in buying a similar lense, a true reflection of what my lens is capable of. I post unedited photo's or unedited and edited versions to show what can be done with the lens. Although I haven't looked at all the posts, I do not see others do the same. Now as I see it, if you take the same photo taken with a certain lens, to Tanner, or somebody with his PP skills, and to me with my minimal skills, the outcome would differ dramatically, giving a distorted view of the lens.
So, my question is, although not enforceable, should those contributing to this archive not be urgently requested, to indicate if and what PP was done to the photo they've posted ?
Assuming your talking about me (is there another Tanner on here? ) could you point out specifically what images you refer to?

I do very little post processing actually and what I do do is very simple stuff. I don't even own photoshop Basically my regime goes simple corrections in LR3, convert to jpeg, throw it in gimp for further edits like vignetting and cloning dust spots than save, post on flickr and link here
Sometimes I get artsy and do some split toning like with my most recent shot w/ the K 50mm F/1.2. Those are pretty heavily PP'd but thats because im trying the split toning affect in LR3 BUT, other than the vignetting, that just changes the color of the photo's. How does that screw what the lens is like? Dont we all change the lenses colors a little?

edit: and for the record, I dont think im distorting any view of a lens. I have a "style" in certain types of photography and I use PP to reflect that. I dont drastically change my images (unless you consider bokeh pano's that). you can post SOC shots all you want but that still doesn't give an accurate reflection of the lens every time.

Last edited by yeatzee; 08-12-2011 at 12:01 PM.
08-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Assuming your talking about me (is there another Tanner on here? ) could you point out specifically what images you refer to? I do very little post processing actually and what I do do is very simple stuff. I don't even own photoshop Basically my regime goes simple corrections in LR3, convert to jpeg, throw it in gimp for further edits like vignetting and cloning dust spots than save, post on flickr and link here Sometimes I get artsy and do some split toning like with my most recent shot w/ the K 50mm F/1.2. Those are pretty heavily PP'd but thats because im trying the split toning affect in LR3 BUT, other than the vignetting, that just changes the color of the photo's. How does that screw what the lens is like? Dont we all change the lenses colors a little? edit: and for the record, I dont think im distorting any view of a lens. I have a "style" in certain types of photography and I use PP to reflect that. I dont drastically change my images (unless you consider bokeh pano's that). you can post SOC shots all you want but that still doesn't give an accurate reflection of the lens every time.
I actually meant that as a compliment to your skills. Even the little you do is much more than me. I only do auto tone, color and contrast, and some sharpening, and even I can see what difference that makes to a photo, taken for instance between my k 35 and Vivitar 70-150.
My point is if you are one of those not liking PP at all, or want to see what a lens can do without PP, and you look at the archive full of PP'd photos, you might draw the wrong conclusion about a lens. As I see this section as a more objective reflection of a lens than the review section, I just think it should be considered

Last edited by altopiet; 08-12-2011 at 10:48 PM.
08-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I actually meant that as a compliment to your skills. Even the little you do is much more than me. I only do auto tone, color and contrast, and some sharpening, and even I can see what difference that makes to a photo, taken for instance between my k 35 and Vivitar 70-150.
My point is if you are one of those not liking PP at all, or want to see what a lens can do without PP, and you look at the archive full of PP'd photos, you might draw the wrong conclusion about a lens. As I see this section as a more objective reflection of a lens than the review section, I just think it should be considered
I agree whole heartedly with this...and I would even go further and say that, if you post a photo in the Lens Sample Photos section, it should be as close to straight out of the camera as possible. That means just convert to JPG for digitals, and for Film cameras, just scan.

And yes, there should be film shots in here too...because testing some of these FF lenses on crop-sensor SLRs doesn't give any idea of what corner sharpness and falloff will be like on FF. Not to mention, many of us still shoot on film, especially the Pentax screwmount and Medium Format guys.
09-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #21
Site Supporter

I noticed the Pentax K 85mm f/2.2 Soft isn't listed. Want a sample?

Last edited by miltona580; 09-14-2011 at 05:55 PM.
09-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miltona580 Quote
I noticed the Pentax K 85mm f/2.2 Soft isn't listed. Want a sample?
If you are talking about the archive index, that is not up to date. If their is no thread for your lense, you might just as well start one

09-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the active index is so far out of date it is not possible to easily find lenses.

Might I suggest that the active index get somehow separated by lens class, or by focal length, also?
09-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Your lens will also be indexed in the Lens Sample Photo Archive Index Thread, and if you find one that is not in the index, please send a message to the moderator and it will be added. We're looking for the perfect and complete index to Pentax lenses.
I would think the moderator of the thread should keep the index up to date, and not wait for a pm before indexing a lens

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Originally posted by altopiet Quote jct us101, how often will the "Archive Index" be updated? I'll be updating it whenever I have free time. Unfortunately I've been a bit busy so I have a bit of a backlog at the moment.
I do understand being busy, but if you are not able to do it, can you perhaps get some help in doing it? If not, I see a valuable resource wasted.

Last edited by altopiet; 10-05-2011 at 01:39 AM.
09-18-2011, 11:30 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the active index is so far out of date it is not possible to easily find lenses. Might I suggest that the active index get somehow separated by lens class, or by focal length, also?
+1, and if it could be linked to reviews in the review section, that will also be nice.
10-23-2011, 04:41 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the indexer deceased?
05-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Is the indexer deceased?
It seems so, people are talking in the threads and some don't even have a photo only a link (DA 70)...
01-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A note to all is

The new sticky

New archive index is being maintained by me and is up to date, new additions are added usually the same day, as I see them.

I note some posters do not check properly that the lens they a posting is already in the index. Just so every one is clear on the index, we want only one thread per lens so please check before starting a new thread, and please, when I post that you have made a duplicate thread, stop posting in it

Thank you one and all
08-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A new note to all

Please no side by side comparisons, or postings using multiple lenses, the regular lens discussion thread is fine for that, but this forum is indexed, and the index can only point to one thread for one lens, so all the shots in a thread should be using the same lens. The side by sides and comparisons are great, but not much help for this specific forum

Thanks one and all
10-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a shameless bump of this thread just to remind all posters to PLEASE CHECK THE ARCHIVE INDEX BEFORE POSTING A NEW THREAD FOR A LENS

We get too many new and enthusiastic posters who do not read the instructions.

Thier photos are welcome but please check the archive index before posting because the index can only point to one thread per lens,

I have adapted a new method of dealing with people who start duplicate threads, I simply post a new reply in the correct thread linking their unwanted duplicate into the thread. That way if someone wants to see the images they can, but I will no longer modify the index to list the duplicates.

It is too much work to compensate for people who don't follow the rules

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 10-18-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Closed Thread