Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 02:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Lens Sample Photo Archive - About

Welcome, Pentaxians! You've stumbled upon the very first Pentax Lens Sample Photo Archive.

Now what does that mean? This board will be host to hopefully hundreds of photos taken with every Pentax lens and lens that can be adapted to the Pentax system. Any user can create a thread with samples from the lenses that they own, or add posts with photos to any thread that is already existing. Each Lens Sample Photo Archive is not specifically designed for only posting of photos (although that is the primary purpose of each thread), but instead users can also feel free to ask others which photos were taken with which cameras, along with EXIF data, and other things. Or simply if they would like to comment on someone else's previously posted photo.

So what is a sample? A sample is quite different than a review of a lens, because it is entirely visual, and not textual. A sample is a photo that you've taken with the lens, and whether you want it to be one that is informative, for example a series of photos taken at certain apertures for a lens, or just a single photo that you've taken with the lens that you'd like to share in the same thread, you can add it to the appropriate thread.

In the case that a thread does not already exist for a lens that you own and want to show off some samples from, you might ask how one adds a lens to the Lens Sample Photo Archive.

The answer is simple, start a thread with the name of the lens, the aperture, and any other details of the lens. But don't fret, if you cannot find the full details about a lens, the moderator will ensure that the listing is complete.

What do we expect in your thread?

- A full name of the lens (for example "Pentax DA 18-55mm AL II Lens Samples")
- At least one photo in the introductory post of your thread. Also, do not post multiple replies with only a single photo in each. Nobody likes people who want huge post counts.
- Photos only taken with a Pentax camera. If you have a Pentax lens that you have photos from on another camera where you've used an adapter, we don't want to see it. But any camera that takes the Pentax mounts, for example Samsung's GX-1S is acceptable.

Once a thread is started, the moderator will tailor the original post of the thread (without altering your original content) for purposes in users being able to buy and review the lens after viewing the samples. Don't worry about this part.

Your lens will also be indexed in the Lens Sample Photo Archive Index Thread, and if you find one that is not in the index, please send a message to the moderator and it will be added. We're looking for the perfect and complete index to Pentax lenses.

If you have any questions, just ask!

Last edited by Ole; 07-26-2011 at 10:17 PM.
07-25-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great idea. I started a thread for the WR Kit lens as well... I know it's meant to be optically identical to the II... But hey; "We're looking for the perfect and complete index to Pentax lenses", right?
07-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Do enlarging lenses count? What about regular primes reversed, i.e. reversed m 50mm F/1.7 shots in the M 50mm F/1.7 thread?
07-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good question. The only things that count are Kenko tubes and other types of extension devices. Reversed photos would go in the original thread, since it's the same lens.

07-26-2011, 04:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This is a good way to archive lens samples. But there are some other threads that have been out there for a while like the "DA 15mm limited controls my mind" etc.

Do you think some of those threads like that that were popular and focused on lens samples can be migrated so they dont have to be reposted?

Also the way this is structured, people could post lens samples from a different lens; deliberately or in error. There should be a way to only allow pics that have EXIF data?
07-26-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
This is a good way to archive lens samples. But there are some other threads that have been out there for a while like the "DA 15mm limited controls my mind" etc.

Do you think some of those threads like that that were popular and focused on lens samples can be migrated so they dont have to be reposted?

Also the way this is structured, people could post lens samples from a different lens; deliberately or in error. There should be a way to only allow pics that have EXIF data?
So what about every non-A lens pentax ever made/is able to use (aka most of my lens collection)?
07-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm sure some mistakes will be inadvertently made, but we're working off the honor system here, and as long as someone doesn't purposely try to screw everything up it'll be fine.

07-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this only for Pentax brand lenses or any lens that can be mounted on a Pentax?
Also, will the posts be arranged in some logical order eventually or will the index be the preferred method of locating a lens?
07-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Is this only for Pentax brand lenses or any lens that can be mounted on a Pentax?
Also, will the posts be arranged in some logical order eventually or will the index be the preferred method of locating a lens?

QuoteQuote:
with every Pentax lens and lens that can be adapted to the Pentax system.

I already made a sigma 105mm review
07-27-2011, 01:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the Lens Sample Photo Archive is a very good addition to the forum, well done to the team. There's a similar thing on POTN, and I think the archive will be a good place to check out the images a certain lens can produce, before buying it.
07-27-2011, 01:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
I think the Lens Sample Photo Archive is a very good addition to the forum, well done to the team. There's a similar thing on POTN, and I think the archive will be a good place to check out the images a certain lens can produce, before buying it.
POTN is where I stole borrowed the idea from. Thank you!
07-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
POTN is where I stole borrowed the idea from. Thank you!
On the subject of borrowing their idea, may I suggest borrowing or at least adopting some sort of standardised naming template/standard for forum titles, such as mentioned here? I know it's all looking good in the Archive Index, but looking at the actual sub-forum itself, as an example I see the following thread titles:

Pentax DA* 16-50mm F2.8
Pentax DA* 50-135 f2.8
SMC Pentax K 1:3.5/35
Pentax DA *55

There's no uniformity in terms of whether there is or isn't "mm" at the end of the focal length, or how aperture is indicated, e.g. F2.8, f/2.8, f2.8, 1:2.8. But, as mentioned above, it does look nice, neat and orderly in the Archive Index. I know it adds some extra workload to the mods, but I think it would work out for the best in the long run.
08-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

^^^I agree with pop4.
08-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

jct us101, how often will the "Archive Index" be updated?
08-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
jct us101, how often will the "Archive Index" be updated?
I'll be updating it whenever I have free time. Unfortunately I've been a bit busy so I have a bit of a backlog at the moment.
Closed Thread