Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 156 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2016, 03:35 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Michael, thanks for taking the time, & posting the photos to explain the usage of this lens. Your shots really show what this lens is capable of!

It's really intriguing me, and I probably will end up with one in a few months!
Your welcome Carol, I have stated before that I was thinking of selling this lens last year. It is my first DA lens and for some reason it never got a lot of use. Before selling it I decided to give it a try again. Man am I glad I did. Some of my most favorite photos last year came from the 10-17 and even more surprisingly with it on the K50. It does suffer from CA and really benifits from being stopped down. I normally set it at f8 and let the camera set the shutter and ISO. At 17mm and below shutter speed becomes less important. For shooting outdoors I think the newer post processing software helps in making this lens more enjoyable to use. Removing CA and Purple fringing used to be a pain. Now it is just a click of the mouse.

01-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Your welcome Carol, I have stated before that I was thinking of selling this lens last year. It is my first DA lens and for some reason it never got a lot of use. Before selling it I decided to give it a try again. Man am I glad I did. Some of my most favorite photos last year came from the 10-17 and even more surprisingly with it on the K50. It does suffer from CA and really benifits from being stopped down. I normally set it at f8 and let the camera set the shutter and ISO. At 17mm and below shutter speed becomes less important. For shooting outdoors I think the newer post processing software helps in making this lens more enjoyable to use. Removing CA and Purple fringing used to be a pain. Now it is just a click of the mouse.
My experience was exactly the same... didn't excite me intially..... then I applied myself to use it and got some of my favourite shots from it in 2015. Almost a metaphor for life.
01-31-2016, 09:11 AM   #63
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems to my "eye"; that the 10-17 fisheye has a more 3D look to the images, than regular lenses. I really like that!
01-31-2016, 09:13 AM   #64
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I finish with the house projects, I'll be looking for a 10-17!

01-31-2016, 11:28 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
When I finish with the house projects, I'll be looking for a 10-17!
And you can show us your house with 1 photo!
01-31-2016, 11:39 AM   #66
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
And you can show us your house with 1 photo!
01-31-2016, 12:27 PM   #67
Pentaxian

I picked up one recently. I had preferred FE primes like the K17 or Sigma 15, but finally went for the zoom. Its close focus skills are amazing too!

Just adding to the advice on composition: if centering things offends, just compose a bit wider and crop for more land or sky. This does risk more relative distortion in one direction so it won't work with every shot.

Fun with the sigma 15 a few years ago.. sorry no 10-17 keepers yet!

01-31-2016, 05:55 PM   #68
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting one in a couple of months, in time for Spring shooting. I'm looking forward to experimenting with it!
02-02-2016, 06:05 AM   #69

14mm distortion was corrected in post using the lens profile of the DA 10-17. A one click fix in post. I did have to lay on the ground to get the lens at the right level.
What software did you use for the correction? Lightroom?

I think I'm going to pick up a 10-17, I was wondering how the lens correction in light room would work; if corrects the distortion or embraces it?
02-02-2016, 07:14 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanGleabols Quote
I think I'm going to pick up a 10-17, I was wondering how the lens correction in light room would work; if corrects the distortion or embraces it?
There's some interesting discussion about various de-fishing tools here:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/310874-roki...omparison.html.

Here are a the examples I put up a couple days ago but with the one button click distortion correction in lightroom 5.7. It looks to straighten all the lines, distortion be damned. These are 10mm, so on the extreme end:

02-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
There's some interesting discussion about various de-fishing tools here:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/310874-roki...omparison.html.

Here are a the examples I put up a couple days ago but with the one button click distortion correction in lightroom 5.7. It looks to straighten all the lines, distortion be damned. These are 10mm, so on the extreme end:

Quick! Undo the one click!!! I see what you mean about the pictures suiting the fish eye more!!!

Thank you for taking the time to show me!
02-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanGleabols Quote
Quick! Undo the one click!!! I see what you mean about the pictures suiting the fish eye more!!!

Thank you for taking the time to show me!
Haha, no problem! One-click de-de-fish activated!

Other software will use different methods to de-fish that may be more suitable for a given picture, and at 10mm the correction can be very extreme.
02-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #73
Pentaxian

K-3, DA 10-17 fisheye (because ordinary is made fun by a fisheye.)
ƒ8 or ƒ5.6, 400 ISO, AV shutter control

Getting ready to go, the excitement is overwhelming for puppies.

Misty played with her stick for the whole walk. No need for a rope toy when you have a stick.

Don't even think you're going to get a piece of this.

The dog path.

Tripper goes on his own walk. I have to use the telephoto end of the fisheye to get him in the frame. Cranked all the way out to 17mm.

More of the dog path.

At the end of the walk, same excitement of as at the start.
02-06-2016, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #74
Veteran Member

the 10-17 does quite nicely for landscape as well.

02-17-2016, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

Morning cruise on the Murray River