Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 51 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
They do seem to really like this Thistley thing...

"Lady Luck”(Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8) wide open @ F1.7
Beautiful colour and bokeh here, Kerrowdown. Also, the "Gentle Pastel Shades" further back up up the page: like a delicate watercolour painting. A pleasure to view.

08-28-2019, 10:37 PM   #47
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Beautiful colour and bokeh here, Kerrowdown. Also, the "Gentle Pastel Shades" further back up up the page: like a delicate watercolour painting. A pleasure to view.
Thank you for your kind comments.
08-29-2019, 12:23 PM - 2 Likes   #48
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Yesteryear Taken Today

09-03-2019, 01:28 PM - 3 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

Beautiful flower planters on Baltimore Avenue
Pentax K-1 mII Ltd Silver, A*135f1.8

10-30-2019, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

The following from a blog which I have elected to die peacefully.

=====

Lens Spotlight
smc Pentax-A* 135mm f/1.8
This blog is a new idea I came up with to highlight a technique, lens, camera, film (when I start developing again), or subject in three frames. The goal is to highlight the features of each lens, keep things interesting for me (and hopefully for you too), and practice some writing. I have a lot of lenses, probably too many, so I'm going to focus in the short term on cycling thru my collection and maybe discuss a little about my photography habits along the way.

One of my newest lenses is this A*135f1.8 manual focus lens. I picked it up with a package of other lenses in a shipment from Japan, where I purchase all my used Pentax lenses nowadays. It's either my #1 or #2 most expensive lens, owing to its relative rarity and uniqueness. This is the fastest 135mm lens in the Pentax arsenal, and they've stopped making them in 1989.

The lens handles excellently, with a wide grippy focus ring and an aperture ring with the A setting (which I don't use). The lens has a 77mm filter ring and weighs 865g (1.9#).

This is a portrait lens, designed for razor sharp wide open performance with narrow depth of field. Manual focusing is pretty easy despite the narrow depth, which makes using the lens wide open a bit easier than the common fast fifties.

Here's an example of the narrow depth of field you can get with this shot, taken wide open. (photo pending) The lighting is a bit weird, with natural shaded light coming thru the window, and incandescent lighting from the rear.

Kawai takes this position when we come or go normally, but for full disclosure, I should reveal that this shot was staged. I asked him to look out the window, and he did just long enough for me to get a couple shots.

I intended to focus on the eye/muzzle, but missed focus just a little (focus point is in front of my target). An electronic viewfinder (EVF) is always much more useful than an optical viewfinder when trying to use lenses with wide apertures wide open. Stopping down two or three clicks, the eyes would have been in focus too.

All remaining photos were taken at f/2.8, which is one click down from wide open.

This shot and the next one were taken during one of our walkabouts to the City Market in Kansas City. This retired streetcar is now a frequent photo subject and a reminder of the olden days. I was standing across the street near the curb, to give you an idea of the field of view that 135mm can give you. Focus here is pretty accurate on the front of the car, which is good since it was all me... this (as are all my lenses) is a manual focus lens.

This shot is of the Kemper Memorial Fountain at 10th and Main in KC, taken on our way back to the pad. This time, I was catty-corner from the subject, and took some time to make sure my subjects (the fountain and the people in front of it) were in focus, and I think again I was fairly successful. Focusing with this lens is not too difficult for static subjects, but for objects in motion, that's another story.

For fast action like this (long focal length, fairly close to the camera), you can either try to track the subject, which is damn near impossible if the subject is moving fast, or you can pre-focus on a point and try to catch the subject when it enters the plane that's in sharp focus. You can see the ground cover in front of Kawai is in good focus, so I needed to wait just a wee-bit longer. However, if I did wait, this shot would have looked a lot different and probably not as good.

It bears mentioning that I took a half-dozen photos and tossed five in order to get this one. Poor reaction time and/or uninteresting positioning of dog and ball were the reasons.

Last one, and I promise not to go overboard like this again, posting five frames instead of the agreed upon (with myself) three for each page, but I picked this one to show out of focus blur (in photo language known as "bokeh," pronounced "bow-kuh"). Some lenses are judged on how well the out of focus areas are rendered, which at first pass might not seem to make much sense. However, fast lenses are supposed to be used at fast apertures, therefore the bokeh is an important part of that lens's quality since some, or even most, of the shot will be out of focus. Think of portraits with a lot of background detail, or in sports where the goal is to isolate only one player and leave the rest in blur.

I selectively saturated the flowers here on Baltimore Ave since the city did so well maintaining this row of planters, and the idiots in my apartment building did a good job of keeping their dogs out of them... last year, they were filled with shit.

That's all I have (thankfully, I'm sure you're thinking) until next time. And again, "three frames" will hereafter be limited to three actual frames.

Thanks for looking!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
K-1 mII Ltd Silver  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF

Last edited by jcdoss; 02-10-2020 at 10:24 AM.
04-26-2020, 02:15 AM - 2 Likes   #51
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Scottish Bee

Working away on Scottish thistley thing.

04-26-2020, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #52
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Star Role

Plus supporting cast...

04-26-2020, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #53
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Face Off

While dreaming...

07-15-2020, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #54
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

In The Shade

07-15-2020, 03:46 AM   #55
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Busted

07-15-2020, 03:47 AM - 3 Likes   #56
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Blue Stems

07-15-2020, 09:16 AM   #57
Pentaxian

The Bokeh on "Blue stems" is horrid in my view. And very weird double lining.
07-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #58
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The Bokeh on "Blue stems" is horrid in my view. And very weird double lining.
Aye, I would tend to agree... not fully sure why, unless lighting conditions played a hand on such out of focus areas (shot @ F1.7).

Not sure the split toning helped the situation either.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 07-15-2020 at 12:41 PM.
07-17-2020, 03:38 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye, I would tend to agree... not fully sure why, unless lighting conditions played a hand on such out of focus areas (shot @ F1.7).

Not sure the split toning helped the situation either.
Yep. Maybe postprocessing is part of it. I know I can destroy nice bokeh by not properly using the clarity slider as it will exaggerate some aspects on the image. Still it is weird that the near bokeh is so badly precisely defined - other than the background.

The leaves are a) sharply defined rather than creamy and b) their outer edges are brighter. All similar to the "bubble" bokeh of Trioplan and such.
07-17-2020, 03:43 AM   #60
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Yep. Maybe postprocessing is part of it. I know I can destroy nice bokeh by not properly using the clarity slider as it will exaggerate some aspects on the image. Still it is weird that the near bokeh is so badly precisely defined - other than the background.

The leaves are a) sharply defined rather than creamy and b) their outer edges are brighter. All similar to the "bubble" bokeh of Trioplan and such.
Think this could remain as one of life's wee mysteries.