Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

12-10-2019, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
mine just arrived:
Is it fair to say that it produces film-like photos? Not border to border sharp, but with more "luminousity" than modern lenses? I really like @alan_smithee_photos work with this lens (most of which is NSFW, so not in this thread), so I expect you to maintain the Voigtlander's stellar reputation.
12-10-2019, 09:09 AM   #18
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Is it fair to say that it produces film-like photos? Not border to border sharp, but with more "luminousity" than modern lenses? I really like @alan_smithee_photos work with this lens (most of which is NSFW, so not in this thread), so I expect you to maintain the Voigtlander's stellar reputation.
there is a richness in the photos that does not exist in many lenses....
12-10-2019, 12:07 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Is it fair to say that it produces film-like photos? Not border to border sharp, but with more "luminousity" than modern lenses?
I have a few thoughts on your question as someone whose exhausted his energy (and bank account) searching for lenses that help create "film-like" photos. My opinion is that a handful of the vintage Leica lenses do it best (especially the Leica R 90/2, 80/1.4 and 50/2, tho the 90/2 doesn't focus quite right on a Pentax); but the CV Nokton 58, CV Color Heliar 75, Zeiss 135 (Leitaxed), Contax 21 and Contax 28 are not too far behind.

This article—The Leica Look— explains that part of what we like about such lenses (the "glow") is their susceptibility to spherical aberrations wide open, but there has to be more than that. For example, the article also discusses Leica's high contrast, micro contrast, soft bokeh, rich color and how they render great detail without edges of subjects looking razor sharp (soft acuity). Modern lenses on the other hand are optimized for digital sensors and tend to render with very high acuity, so edges look sharp enough to cut you. For some of us super high acuity is not a pleasant look (I also prefer ultra linear tube amps to digital beasts for midrange/high frequencies in music).

The Voigtlander lenses are my favorite to actually carry and use because I get most of what Leica R lenses offer but camera aperture control too, plus they are relatively lightweight and compact. The Nokton is such a treasure for those reasons (all for 320 grams!), plus if you can achieve focus at 1.4 (not so easy because the focal plane is so shallow) then it renders with that glow (at f1.7 and f2 as well to a lesser extent). The Voigtlander 90, 125 and 180 are aspherical lenses, and so correct for spherical aberrations, but they still give soft edges wide open and so with a little work in Lightroom can look quite film like. In fact, with a good fast lens and Photoshop/Lightroom one can achieve much of the "look" very well with fast, quality lenses, as the artist Iwona Podlasinska proves with her superb interpretations using a Sony A7II along with Zeiss 135/1.8 and Sony 85/1.4 lenses (Iwona's Flickr albums). Anyway, if I had to live with just one lens I'd likely choose the Nokton because it offers so much potential. It can be tack sharp or dreamy, high contrast with rich color, it fits in one's pocket, it separates subjects from the background, portrait or landscape, it focuses smoother than any manual lens in the universe, super high quality build . . .

12-10-2019, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is some thread resurrection! Congrats on your copy of the lens too.

Last edited by Kevin B123; 12-10-2019 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typo
12-10-2019, 03:23 PM   #21
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
That is some thread resurrection! Congrats on your copy of the lens too.
thank you..
12-10-2019, 05:40 PM   #22
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I have a few thoughts on your question as someone whose exhausted his energy (and bank account) searching for lenses that help create "film-like" photos. My opinion is that a handful of the vintage Leica lenses do it best (especially the Leica R 90/2, 80/1.4 and 50/2, tho the 90/2 doesn't focus quite right on a Pentax); but the CV Nokton 58, CV Color Heliar 75, Zeiss 135 (Leitaxed), Contax 21 and Contax 28 are not too far behind.

This article—The Leica Look— explains that part of what we like about such lenses (the "glow") is their susceptibility to spherical aberrations wide open, but there has to be more than that. For example, the article also discusses Leica's high contrast, micro contrast, soft bokeh, rich color and how they render great detail without edges of subjects looking razor sharp (soft acuity). Modern lenses on the other hand are optimized for digital sensors and tend to render with very high acuity, so edges look sharp enough to cut you. For some of us super high acuity is not a pleasant look (I also prefer ultra linear tube amps to digital beasts for midrange/high frequencies in music).

The Voigtlander lenses are my favorite to actually carry and use because I get most of what Leica R lenses offer but camera aperture control too, plus they are relatively lightweight and compact. The Nokton is such a treasure for those reasons (all for 320 grams!), plus if you can achieve focus at 1.4 (not so easy because the focal plane is so shallow) then it renders with that glow (at f1.7 and f2 as well to a lesser extent). The Voigtlander 90, 125 and 180 are aspherical lenses, and so correct for spherical aberrations, but they still give soft edges wide open and so with a little work in Lightroom can look quite film like. In fact, with a good fast lens and Photoshop/Lightroom one can achieve much of the "look" very well with fast, quality lenses, as the artist Iwona Podlasinska proves with her superb interpretations using a Sony A7II along with Zeiss 135/1.8 and Sony 85/1.4 lenses (Iwona's Flickr albums). Anyway, if I had to live with just one lens I'd likely choose the Nokton because it offers so much potential. It can be tack sharp or dreamy, high contrast with rich color, it fits in one's pocket, it separates subjects from the background, portrait or landscape, it focuses smoother than any manual lens in the universe, super high quality build . . .

thank you for the info and the link - I've had my Nokton a very short time, and my Ultron only a bit longer, but there is something extra in these lenses that you can immediately see....

12-10-2019, 05:43 PM - 2 Likes   #23
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

please note - the Nokton is a manual focus lens and is, in no way, intended for any type of sporting activity....

but given that - I tried it out in the back yard while the dogs were doing their thing:

there's a depth of color and clarity that is not common in these shots - and I shoot the dogs on a regular basis (usually with something autofocus, though)....

very pleased with this lens....
12-14-2019, 06:10 AM - 2 Likes   #24
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

12-14-2019, 06:12 AM - 2 Likes   #25
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

12-14-2019, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #26
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

12-27-2019, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #27
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

12-27-2019, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #28
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

12-27-2019, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The photo of the Christmas village looks great at web resolution, but after looking at the full size version on Flickr, the depth of field is so narrow at f2, that the only in focus area I could find is some of the artificial needles in front of the roof of the first building. Sure like the colours and bokeh.
12-31-2019, 03:16 PM   #30
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter