Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #1

total lens newbie here

okay, i feel like i have to learn this stuff somewhere right? i have a pentax k-x, that came with standard 18-55, and a zoom lens. I would like to try out some other lenses, but I have no idea what I am even looking for/at! What is DA/ DAL/ FA mean? What are some good lenses that are "must haves?" but for someone on a budget (ie under $200 or so?) Looking on ebay, there seem to be tons of pentax lenses but they look like the kinds that go on old film cameras. Can these be used on a k-x?

Sorry for all the questions, and if they seem dumb. Like I said, got to learn this somehow! is there a "lenses for dummies" guide out there somewhere?

10-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those old lenses work just fine on your K-x.

Takumar(M42) - screwmount lenses that require an adapter, manual focus and manual aperture.
K or M - manual focus manual aperture lenses. Will require the use of your green button to meter.
A - These lenses have an automatic aperture. You can control the aperture size from the camera and the camera will do the metering for you in the various modes on your camera. You will have to manual focus.
F/FA/DA/DAL - these are all auto focus lenses.

It seems like you're still getting a feel for DSLRs. I wouldn't run out and spend a bunch of money yet. Here is a good tutorial site for you to read Cambridge in Colour - Photography Tutorials & Learning Community . I would suggest maybe one lens. Get a prime A50/1.7 lens(saw one on the forum market). These can be had cheap and can be used for thin DOF photography and portraits. Your kit and this one extra lens should keep you happy for awhile.
10-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks this is great info.

oh, and yes I do have quite a bit to learn about DSLRs and digital photography. I learned about photography on film, and this is like relearning everything again!
10-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out the articles section of the forum for an article explaining the meaning behind the lens terminology. It's not as daunting as you think. Enjoy the learning stages.