Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I picked up this one for $225. I see them come up time and again between $200 and $250. Mine was in pretty good condition, came with the leather case, and had some great stories attached, as it was owned by an Ontario Provincial Police Ident officer who used it for under cover surveillance.
Yikes... I'll stick with my Tokina rebrand (at least for now). I'd sooner spent $200 on other, just as old and quirky lenses. I'll county my blessings I came across what I have (and for what I paid for it in comparison).

12-14-2014, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I paid around $200 for mine. I really don't consider it "quirky". It has performed well for me. The biggest issue is the size and weight and lack of a tripod collar. It has some issues with CA but that's true of most older glass, not just this lens. Here's a shot wide open at f/4. This was a mistake. I was taking some shots of bikes and riders during a break and I had swapped lenses. I put the 300 back on and went back to racing shots, only to realize much later that I had been shooting at f/4. The histogram looked ok and the shots looked OK on the camera's LCD but when I got them up on the computer, there was purple fringe, green fringe and even some orange outlines. It took only a couple of clicks in Lightroom to get rid of it.

Most of the shots were usable but I didn't have quite as many keepers as when I was stopped down.

Here's a cropped shot I took this spring of a kite surfer.

12-15-2014, 03:01 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I paid around $200 for mine. I really don't consider it "quirky". It has performed well for me. The biggest issue is the size and weight and lack of a tripod collar. It has some issues with CA but that's true of most older glass, not just this lens. Here's a shot wide open at f/4. This was a mistake. I was taking some shots of bikes and riders during a break and I had swapped lenses. I put the 300 back on and went back to racing shots, only to realize much later that I had been shooting at f/4. The histogram looked ok and the shots looked OK on the camera's LCD but when I got them up on the computer, there was purple fringe, green fringe and even some orange outlines. It took only a couple of clicks in Lightroom to get rid of it.
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Most of the shots were usable but I didn't have quite as many keepers as when I was stopped down. Here's a cropped shot I took this spring of a kite surfer.
Excellent testimony for this wonderful lens! I absolutely agree with you - this beast is all but 'quirky' !! The sharpness is really good and CA easilly solvable. Really imressive bit of kit at affordable price ( comparing to what 300 DA goes for !)
04-02-2022, 09:34 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just to add a link. My DA560 is out for repair so I have been using the K300/4 with 1.7 x AF adaptor with my K1MKII

I have made an album for this combi, to post some of my latest shots

Lowell Goudge's Album: K300/4 with 1.7x Af Adaptor - PentaxForums.com

One note, on the K1MKII there is a need to adjust exposure compensation with the green button, and under expose by 1.7 stops to get accurate metering.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 04-20-2022 at 09:26 AM.
04-20-2022, 09:25 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is the latest with the K300/4 and AF adaptor. Full frame on a K1 MKII