Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 82 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2015, 01:56 PM - 3 Likes   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took out my FA 43 on a Vivitar 2X macro TC, and got some great colors. Not perfect pictures, but I like 'em.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Nick Siebers; 09-22-2015 at 01:59 PM. Reason: pics too big
09-22-2015, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Those are some wonderful colors, Nick.
09-26-2015, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mwilky55 Quote
Those are some wonderful colors, Nick.
Thanks! Here's one with the colors removed:

[IMG][/IMG]

Actually it looks quite good in color, too, but I very slightly prefer the BW treatment.
09-27-2015, 01:55 PM - 4 Likes   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Under The Bridge

09-28-2015, 02:50 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

12-12-2015, 09:32 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I took out my FA 43 on a Vivitar 2X macro TC, and got some great colors. Not perfect pictures, but I like 'em.
love those photos, esp the first one.
06-04-2016, 01:02 AM   #67

Deliberately added a little grain to this one going for a TriX look....
Sometimes I take a shot with this lens and on the back of the camera I'm wondering why I bought it, then I get home and really enjoy the way it draws everything 3d like!
Still learning how to really use it.

In the back of a van!
by tom.ohle, on Flickr

06-04-2016, 08:10 AM - 3 Likes   #68
Pentaxian

Before acquiring the 77 and 31 the 43 was my favorite lens. I still shoot with it occasionally.

I am a little worried with how this lens will perform on the K-1 as people seem to be getting very mixed results as well as focusing issues which is a real shame.
06-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Before acquiring the 77 and 31 the 43 was my favorite lens. I still shoot with it occasionally.

I am a little worried with how this lens will perform on the K-1 as people seem to be getting very mixed results as well as focusing issues which is a real shame.
Thanks for mentioning focus issue. I've been going nuts trying to figure out if it's me or the camera + lens combo. I've even tried taking out spyder lens Cal to focus adjust. However it shows that at 2-3m wide open a focus adjust of -2 gives best results. However in practical usage it does weird and wonderful things in certain lighting. This could be my human error too as I was shooting a subject wearing glasses.

Chris, I noticed that the samples that you shared have all been shot stopped down to at least 2.8.
Do you have any wide open samples?!
06-04-2016, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't had the 43 for very long so I haven't noticed any major focusing issues yet except for some screw drive lens hunting. Here a some I took the other day. All on the K-1 @ f/2.

06-04-2016, 03:35 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tomO2013 Quote
Thanks for mentioning focus issue. I've been going nuts trying to figure out if it's me or the camera + lens combo. I've even tried taking out spyder lens Cal to focus adjust. However it shows that at 2-3m wide open a focus adjust of -2 gives best results. However in practical usage it does weird and wonderful things in certain lighting. This could be my human error too as I was shooting a subject wearing glasses.

Chris, I noticed that the samples that you shared have all been shot stopped down to at least 2.8.
I was never a big fan of the bokeh from the 43 so I hardly ever shoot close to wide open with it. If I want something semi-wide but with a smooth out-of-focus background I usually go for the 31. I mostly reserve the 43 for environmental portraits where I actually want to see a lot of the environment.
06-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #72

I was never a big fan of the bokeh from the 43 so I hardly ever shoot close to wide open with it. If I want something semi-wide but with a smooth out-of-focus background I usually go for the 31. I mostly reserve the 43 for environmental portraits where I actually want to see a lot of the environment.
I see from most of your work you are shooting with the K3 so that 31mm on the K3 is going to be giving you closer to the FOV that you get with the 43mm on the K1.

Have you considered your options for semi-wide with smooth out of focus background when you go K1 given that you don't like the 43mm?
06-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
*Raises hand*

Had to focus a lot in Live View. That seems to help. A *lot* of flash helps the images look good. But they pale in comparison to the 77. I'm considering looking for an alternative for my normal range (and definitely regretting selling my FA50 f/1.7 so soon).
06-06-2016, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #74
Veteran Member

This is all quite surprising to me. I personally found my use of the FA43 began to skyrocket in the past 3 years as I've moved back to film. My experience with it on 135 format has hugely raised my opinion of it. I think it is one of the most versatile, lovely lenses I've owned. I should post some further shots here.

---------- Post added 06-06-16 at 08:05 AM ----------

Further 35mm format examples...

Pentax MZ-3 | FA43/1.9 | Fujifilm Superia 400 | V750 scan

Pentax MX | FA43/1.9 | HP5Plus push+2 | Pakon F135 scan

Pentax MZ-S | FA43/1.9 | Svema Color125 | Pakon F135 scan

pentax mz-3 | pentax-fa 43/1.9 | cinestill 50d | pakon f135
06-07-2016, 05:17 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomO2013 Quote

You may do well to have it bench tested. I've not heard of a ton of copy variation with the FA43 in particular, but the first FA31 that I owned several years ago saw decreased use for a lonnnnng time because I thought I was nuts as well. A lot of shots that looked like missed focus (slightly) and other oddness, at many focus distances but especially problematic at infinity. It was finally determined that it was ever so slightly decentered and I had it repaired (a long ordeal) after which it performed *much* better. In the meantime I had picked up a used copy locally (as I was without the original for more than 6 months- long story) and it was IMMEDIATELY apparent how much better that copy was, and even slightly better than the repaired original I received back.
Food for thought - I mention because your brief description sounded familiar, but also because I've never experienced anything like that with my 43 on the DSLR I've had (K-7, K-5, and K-3) or any of the film bodies, auto-focus or manual. It's always been sharp as tacks and nails focus.