Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #76
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
While I definitely appreciate all the work you put into this post (I also greatly admire the photos you post here), I would suggest the difference between reviewers/testers is much greater than the difference between actual copies of a lens. The closer one examines all the variables, the stronger the impression that everything is subjective because there is no "true" standard to measure the quality of an image or the tools used to generate that image.
Some things like bokeh and rendering are rather subjective, but I think vignetting is one of those characteristics of a lens that is measurable. I grant you that there does not seem to be a standard to measure vignetting, but the process is pretty obvious: measure EV falloff from the brightest part of an image to the darkest, using a subject with an even level of exposure like a white card. Even comparing the images shown in the PF review with my own, there is a difference of degree. If lenses vary from one copy to another in terms of their resolution or centering, I don't see why the fall-off could not also vary.

Whether this matters is another question. It might not matter much to you or me, but it matters to Paul.

Last edited by Des; 12-19-2020 at 04:13 AM.
12-18-2020, 07:46 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Vignetting seems to be a common issue in wide-ranging APS-C consumer-level zooms
Thanks for posting this, Des. It pretty much confirms my findings. I was just a bit surprised at the vignetting in the middle range FLs, even stopped down. I need to remind myself it *is* a consumer-level superzoom, albeit a good one.
12-19-2020, 01:51 PM   #78

Photos: Gallery
I think the results are much better than you would get with a jpg out of the camera.
Thanks for the detailed response, Des! I heard good things about DxO, so maybe I should give it a shot.

---------- Post added 19-12-20 at 22:57 ----------

A dedicated wide angle lens like the DA 12-24 (77mm front element) will be better again for wide angle shooting: DA 12-24mm vs Sigma and Tamron 10-24mm Comparison Review - Image Quality: Vignetting | PentaxForums.com Reviews.
I own the Tamron 10-24 and can confirm vignetting is not a big issue.
12-21-2020, 02:56 AM - 7 Likes   #79
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mirceattl Quote
Thanks for the detailed response, Des! I heard good things about DxO, so maybe I should give it a shot.
If you do, make sure it's the Elite edition. Try ViewPoint as well for your wide angle lens. And feel free to PM me if you'd like some presets.

Here are some photos taken on a light aircraft flight in the Tasmanian wilderness. (Some distortion and reflections from the perspex windows of the aircraft are visible.) The versatility of the 18-135 and its good resolution, contrast and colours make it a good option for flights and boat trips.
31m f8

24mm f8

18mm f7.1

24mm f7.1

36mm f7.1

24mm f7.1

18mm f8

21mm f8

18mm f8

12-21-2020, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #80

If you do, make sure it's the Elite edition. Try ViewPoint as well for your wide angle lens. And feel free to PM me if you'd like some presets.

Here are some photos taken on a light aircraft flight in the Tasmanian wilderness. (Some distortion and reflections from the perspex windows of the aircraft are visible.) The versatility of the 18-135 and its good resolution, contrast and colours make it a good option for flights and boat trips.
31m f8

24mm f8

18mm f7.1

24mm f7.1

36mm f7.1

24mm f7.1

18mm f8

21mm f8

18mm f8
Thanks for the advice, I see PhotoLab is on holiday sale right now at a good price. I checked the 2 versions and, at the first glance, the Essential edition seems right for me at this point, as I don't use noise removal features so much, and the standard tools plus the lens correction profiles are all in there. Not sure if not having the ClearView de-hazing add-on would matter, otherwise I think I can live with the standard edition.

The photos from the plane are awesome, as all the others you post here. You have the composition eye, no doubt about it!
12-21-2020, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #81
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the advice, I see PhotoLab is on holiday sale right now at a good price. I checked the 2 versions and, at the first glance, the Essential edition seems right for me at this point, as I don't use noise removal features so much, and the standard tools plus the lens correction profiles are all in there. Not sure if not having the ClearView de-hazing add-on would matter, otherwise I think I can live with the standard edition.
Essentials is about two-thirds the price. See whether you like it - if you do, you will probably want to get Elite eventually - PRIME and DeepPrime were both big leaps forward and ClearView is one of the tools I use the most.
The photos from the plane are awesome, as all the others you post here. You have the composition eye, no doubt about it!
Thanks Mircea. (Quite a bit of ClearView in use in these shots! )
12-22-2020, 02:46 AM   #82

Essentials is about two-thirds the price. See whether you like it - if you do, you will probably want to get Elite eventually - PRIME and DeepPrime were both big leaps forward and ClearView is one of the tools I use the most.
Thanks for your feedback! PL Elite + ViewPoint are currently on sale as a bundle at an even better price than purchased separately, so I am seriously thinking about getting it.

Last edited by mirceattl; 12-22-2020 at 02:59 AM.
12-22-2020, 07:11 PM - 5 Likes   #83
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The walkaround lens.

18mm f8

21mm f8

28mm f6.3

28mm f10

31mm f10

36mm f5.6

53mm f10

100mm f9
12-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #84

The walkaround lens.

18mm f8

21mm f8

28mm f6.3

28mm f10

31mm f10

36mm f5.6

53mm f10

100mm f9
Again, very good photos, Des! All of them passed through PhotoLab?
12-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #85
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Again, very good photos, Des! All of them passed through PhotoLab?
Yes, or its predecessor, OpticsPro 11.
12-24-2020, 03:02 AM - 4 Likes   #86
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When 18mm isn't wide enough, try a stitched panorama! The 18-135 can do quite well, especially if you stop down and shoot in the strongest part of its focal range (say, 24-70mm).

(Parks Victoria intend to use this last one on one of their signs.)

Last edited by Des; 12-24-2020 at 02:34 PM.
12-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #87

Yes, or its predecessor, OpticsPro 11.
You're definitely a seasoned DxO user. Are you using it end to end (RAW to final image) or are there any other software tools involved in the process?
12-24-2020, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When 18mm isn't wide enough, try a stitched panorama! The 18-135 can do quite well, especially if you stop down and shot in the strongest part of its focal range (say, 24-70mm).
Beautiful, Des - love your work in this thread.
12-24-2020, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are some photos taken on a light aircraft flight in the Tasmanian wilderness.
Spectacular work, here and the rest of this page Des. If this won't sell the lens to someone nothing will.
12-25-2020, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
If this won't sell the lens to someone nothing will.
It already did...