Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2014, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
Maybe for the focus indicator you're right but as for the auto aperture,the lenses I've been looking at don't even have the A setting on the aperture ring.so for those,I guess aperture is manual.I've seen a couple of listings that did show the A setting in the photo but when I asked the seller to confirm it for the Pentax k mount they just said aperture was fully manual.unless they just don't know their stuff
I own the Rokinon version (came from Amazon US) and a number from my local pentax group have the Samyang versions for the 85mm K mount and their units all have the aperture lever. Maybe you can ask the seller to take a picture of the mount they're going to sell you and you can post it here.

Last edited by Salagubang; 06-22-2014 at 10:29 AM.
06-23-2014, 05:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Maybe for the focus indicator you're right but as for the auto aperture,the lenses I've been looking at don't even have the A setting on the aperture ring.so for those,I guess aperture is manual
You guess wrong. The problem is that they use generic photos of the lens, not the photos of the lens for K mount. They show Nikon or Canon or Sony versions. You can see that it says NI or CA or something on the lens, denoting the lens mount - the Pentax K-mount lens will say KR on the aperture ring (K-Ricoh, I guess) and will have A setting. The Samyang 10mm, 14mm, 16mm, 24mm, 35mm, 85mm all have A mode on aperture ring, which means you can set the aperture on the camera body and that it allows Av, P and other automatic modes. For Canon Nikon and Sony mount, the lens allows different things because they have different technology. Sellers usually don't know anything, especially when it comes to Pentax K-mount. Just make sure the lens you are buying is "For Pentax" or "KR" and it should be fine. Pretty sure there are a couple threads about this, too. Oh, and Samyang also sells under other names, like Vivitar, Rokinon, Bower, Falcon, Walimex, ProOptic, etc. but the lenses all have the same optics and the same automation.
Exceptions to this are some Samyang telescopes and mirror lenses, which might have preset aperture mechanisms and are generally much lower in quality. These are 300mm and above
That being said, the 85mm f1.4 might be difficult to focus manually because the stock focus screen in modern DSLRs is not sensitive enough for such wide aperture. For best results, you might want to get a focus screen designed for fast primes. There are threads about this.
Also, you can go to a store and check the lens in your hand before buying it. If you buy online, most stores allow you to return the item in the first week or so.

tl;dr: modern Samyang lenses for Pentax mount (KR) have A setting on aperture and allow Av and automatic modes. Focus indicator and catch-in-focus will work, but only for central point. The lenses do not have AF, and they do not communicate their focal length to camera. Only Samyang lenses that do not have automatic aperture are the cheapo mirror lenses and telescopes.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 06-23-2014 at 05:36 AM.
06-23-2014, 05:51 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You guess wrong. The problem is that they use generic photos of the lens, not the photos of the lens for K mount. They show Nikon or Canon or Sony versions. You can see that it says NI or CA or something on the lens, denoting the lens mount - the Pentax K-mount lens will say KR on the aperture ring (K-Ricoh, I guess) and will have A setting. The Samyang 10mm, 14mm, 16mm, 24mm, 35mm, 85mm all have A mode on aperture ring, which means you can set the aperture on the camera body and that it allows Av, P and other automatic modes. For Canon Nikon and Sony mount, the lens allows different things because they have different technology. Sellers usually don't know anything, especially when it comes to Pentax K-mount. Just make sure the lens you are buying is "For Pentax" or "KR" and it should be fine. Pretty sure there are a couple threads about this, too. Oh, and Samyang also sells under other names, like Vivitar, Rokinon, Bower, Falcon, Walimex, ProOptic, etc. but the lenses all have the same optics and the same automation.
Exceptions to this are some Samyang telescopes and mirror lenses, which might have preset aperture mechanisms and are generally much lower in quality. These are 300mm and above
That being said, the 85mm f1.4 might be difficult to focus manually because the stock focus screen in modern DSLRs is not sensitive enough for such wide aperture. For best results, you might want to get a focus screen designed for fast primes. There are threads about this.
Also, you can go to a store and check the lens in your hand before buying it. If you buy online, most stores allow you to return the item in the first week or so.

tl;dr: modern Samyang lenses for Pentax mount (KR) have A setting on aperture and allow Av and automatic modes. Focus indicator and catch-in-focus will work, but only for central point. The lenses do not have AF, and they do not communicate their focal length to camera. Only Samyang lenses that do not have automatic aperture are the cheapo mirror lenses and telescopes.
appreciate the response. i thought the same actually that all k-mount samyangs had the A setting but when I asked a few sellers about it they told me that the k mount lenses they sold were with no auto aperture.guess they dont know jack
06-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

modern Samyang lenses for Pentax mount (KR) have A setting on aperture
My Rokinon 85 1.4 certainly has the A setting.

when I asked a few sellers about it they told me that the k mount lenses they sold were with no auto aperture.guess they dont know jack
That happens all the time. Many sellers simply aren't that attentive. Many sellers also know nothing about Pentax and don't care.

06-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Many sellers also know nothing about Pentax and don't care.
Yep. They just assume if Canikon doesn't have it, then there is no way Pentax could have it.
You can also find the in-depth review of the Vivitar version here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/vivitar-85mm-f14/review.html
10-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Hello just read your thoughts on the Samyang 85mm does anyone have very slow or tight focus ring??
If so any suggestions on making the ring a little smoother?

Thanks
12-21-2014, 01:48 AM   #22
Veteran Member

@f2

12-27-2015, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

02-22-2016, 01:54 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Nice shot, Sinister!
If anyone is interested, here is the Samyang lens thread if you want to view or post more photos :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/137335-samyang-lens-club-46.html
11-22-2016, 12:10 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At f/2.0

At f/4.0

f/2.5
01-27-2018, 06:12 PM - 6 Likes   #26

K5II + samyang 85mm f1.4 at f1.4
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
10-06-2019, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #27
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

mine is the Rokinon-branded version:

10-06-2019, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #28
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

10-06-2019, 04:41 AM   #29
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

10-17-2019, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Though I HATED this lens when I was using it on the K1, I am now curious as to how it will behave on a Sony A7RII due to its focus peaqing and infinite focus zoom.
sure, Samyang/rokinon did release the 85mm auto focus for sony as well, which seems equally tempting