Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Forum Member

Auto Chinon MC 50mm f/1.7

Larger here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1630revello/sets/72157637845272845/ FRC to follow when I have time.

Last edited by Darley; 11-19-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: More info
11-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great work! You certainly captured some super lighting. Also, looks like another member of the great 50's club. There are so many, one could never have all of the great 50's.
11-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Great work! You certainly captured some super lighting. Also, looks like another member of the great 50's club. There are so many, one could never have all of the great 50's.
Yes it's a nice lens, cheap too. I'm slowly building up a collection of 50s (and one 55) - they seem to suit DSLRs well. Better made than modern lenses and nicer to use. They sure don't make 'em like they used to!
11-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a keeper to me! Nice shots with beautiful Fall light - congrats

11-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Looks like a keeper to me! Nice shots with beautiful Fall light - congrats
Thanks yes it will stay with my collection. I'm quite amazed at how good these old lenses can be, but then again maybe I was wrong to assume newer lenses would be better. I think maybe lenses designed for 35mm work better on APS sensors because you're only getting the centre part of the image which tends to be the sharpest part, not that I know all the technicalities of such things.
11-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yep, is a great lens - I have one as well .
Nice photos!
11-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Yep, is a great lens - I have one as well .
Nice photos!
Thanks Mr Newt

11-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Darley Quote
Yes it's a nice lens, cheap too. I'm slowly building up a collection of 50s (and one 55) - they seem to suit DSLRs well. Better made than modern lenses and nicer to use. They sure don't make 'em like they used to!
Nice photos, looks like a keeper!

I'm starting to do the same sort of collecting...I've got a Helios 44-3, Pentax A 2.8 macro, Pentax M 2.0, and a CZJ Pancolar 1.8 (last one currently incoming from Poland). I'll likely pick up a few more before I'm done.

So far I like the Pentax-A macro the best, though it's slower than I'd like. Do you have any favorites from your collection? One thing I've found is the focus direction being opposite of Pentax style really throws me, so I'm looking for some good glass with the right (IMHO) focusing direction.
11-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Nice photos, looks like a keeper!

I'm starting to do the same sort of collecting...I've got a Helios 44-3, Pentax A 2.8 macro, Pentax M 2.0, and a CZJ Pancolar 1.8 (last one currently incoming from Poland). I'll likely pick up a few more before I'm done.

So far I like the Pentax-A macro the best, though it's slower than I'd like. Do you have any favorites from your collection? One thing I've found is the focus direction being opposite of Pentax style really throws me, so I'm looking for some good glass with the right (IMHO) focusing direction.
Hah! I don't tend to take much notice of focusing direction - I just turn the ring thingy til it looks sharp! I'm awaiting a Vivitar Macro 55mm f/2.8 which I understand to be excellent, so I may change my favourite - for now it's a Topcor 55mm f/1.7 which is probably sharper than the Chinon, though my Rikenon 50mm f/2 is probably the sharpest lens I have, and is sometimes too sharp and needs editing to soften the images! I like the Topcor because it's different I guess, but all three of those can produce similar images.

I've only recently started collecting these old lenses and haven't had a chance to try them all out in favourable conditions like yesterday when the light was good, so I may find one I like better, but the Chinon does seem to suit my style of photography and on my K200D I need a bright lens for manual focusing as the viewfinder is rubbish
11-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I should add that sharpness is not the most important thing to me - as long as it focuses accurately and captures enough detail, light and colour I'm happy. Most of these photos are not 'sharp' especially the ones at f/1.7 where this lens is a bit soft, but for most purposes they're sharp enough.
11-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here are some full res crops from the above. As I say, sharpness is not paramount and I am using a K200D with a rubbish viewfinder and 'only' 10MP

And before anyone asks, I can't remember the apertures - sorry. Most are in the range f/2-f/8 so you'll have to guess from the amount of blur!

11-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might think about picking up an O-ME53 eyepiece magnifier. My K100D also has a dim & smallish viewfinder & the O-ME53 is a huge help when doing MF. It doesn't improve the VF brightness, but the larger view makes MF quite a bit easier for me.
11-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
You might think about picking up an O-ME53 eyepiece magnifier. My K100D also has a dim & smallish viewfinder & the O-ME53 is a huge help when doing MF. It doesn't improve the VF brightness, but the larger view makes MF quite a bit easier for me.
Thanks I'll look into that - the K200 viewfinder definitely can be improved on.
11-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
This would be the one then I guess - and it will fit a K200D? What do you reckon it's worth?
Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup | eBay
11-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Darley Quote
This would be the one then I guess - and it will fit a K200D? What do you reckon it's worth?
Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup | eBay
Yes, it'll fit. I think I paid about $35 for a new one from Adorama or B & H - used ones pop up in the PF Marketplace for less.