Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2014, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Samyang 18-28mm F4

I picked this up a couple years ago for the princely sum of $52.50. It took a little while for me to get to love it, but it perform very well on both film and APS-C cameras. Here's some evidence.

APS-C

Full frame (Pentax KX)

APS-C

APS-C

APS-C

APS-C

APS-C

Pentax KX

Pentax KX

I selected these two film images to show that, even on a full frame, this lens exhibits very little distortion and quality loss around the periphery. This is a typically inexpensive lens and decidedly worth the money for an ultrawide option. And the zoom to 28 is a nice feature, though I rarely shoot tighter than 18mm on film and never shoot tighter than 18mm on APS-C.

01-18-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
18-288mm??

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-19-2014, 12:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dangit. That's supposed to be 18-28mm, and the system won't let me edit the heading. Adam, can you edit that?
01-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup sure thing

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

That seems to be a nice lens as evidenced by those shots. If A) I could manually focus, and B) I wanted to manually focus, I could put together a pretty good kit with just Samyang/Rokinon lenses. 14/35/85 just for starters...
01-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was supified when I got it. I truly expected it to be a dog and I was just getting it to learn the basics of WA lens use. And the many negative reviews of it online led me to believe it wouldn't hold up. The lens is a bit wobbly and it feels like the outside is too big for the inside -- as though it's wearing clown pants. But my FA Limited lenses spoiled me on build quality. At any rate, the optics turned out to be quite good with very little distortion. In terms of value for money, it's my best lens purchase. I just wish it was a 2.8 instead of a 4, but that's a minor complaint honestly.
01-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, Adam!

01-25-2014, 12:21 AM   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Based on very little experience w/ mine (I purchased it after reading your post: thanks), it is quite sharp in center at f/16 and f/11, and quite sharp in corners at f/16.

On Pentax cropped dslr it has about 7% and 2% distortion, at 17mm and 28mm, respectively, based on rather rough check w/ photoshop lens correction. And your previous photo (FF film) seems to show[**] about 8% distortion (so I wouldn't call it low distortion--but it seems to come out fine when applying the lens correction). [I also checked your "555" picture and get 6% distortion on it--so given the accuracy these are all essentially the same value--assuming your shots were at 17mm FL.]

Build is similar to/slightly better (metal vs plastic, I think) than the Vivitar MF 100mm f3.5 macro--which (contrary to other comments) I think is pretty good. Just a little looser aperture and zoom than I like. A very nice lens actually.

Robert Monaghan (in ultrawide.pdf) mentions: "best at the widest (17.8mm) setting, poorest at the 28mm (actually 25mm optically)" from Feb. 92 Pop.Photo. Tests.

____
** I am assuming the upper horizontal member in the (KX) picture is actually straight.

Last edited by dms; 01-25-2014 at 12:57 AM. Reason: added footnote/minor changes/added another distortion value
02-08-2015, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks ! With the realease of the FF announced I grabbed one up on Ebay for $28 bucks buy it now. Im into unusual MF lenses and this performs better than my 21-35mm Sigma which this lens looks like. Very solid.
Not going to complain a bit.
05-05-2015, 05:31 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got one of these at the Kimpo Airport tax free shop in South Korea in 1994. I think it cost me $120 at the time. I was very impressed with it when I got home. Mine is branded Polar. The front element group wobbles a bit but it doesn't seem to affect image quality any.
05-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #11

I have been looking for a wide angle lens for a while, for my K-01, and since I didn't want to spend more than the cost of the K-01 to get a lens (yet) this seems like a great option!

I just ordered mine on eBay for $55. I'll report back as soon as I've taken a few pictures.

Any thoughts on how it'd compare with the standard non wr da 18-55 kit?
06-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #12

I find some pictures on the Samyang to be very detailed, but far away landscape pictures are soft. Really soft. I'll try to post pictures later tonight, but does anyone have specific advice on how I can extract the best from this lens? It's nice and well built, I just don't seem to be able to get good iq
06-01-2015, 11:19 PM   #13
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have attached a K-5 [correction--I thought it was the K-5, but from the EXIF it was my K20d] photo at f/11 and the widest FL, and iso 400 (taken on tripod w/ 2 sec timer)--and then a 100% crop from the extreme right side near the bottom. I have not sharpened it, or fixed the distortion, or done a slight rotation that it needs. You can judge whether it is sharp enough.

There is no special technique other than manual focusing, or verifying that the distance scale is accurate, and then setting the lens for the desired distance. The few shots I took did not show any focus shift with changing aperture.

For completeness--I would add my copy of the lens shows some comma (and less resolution) at f/5.6, which has cleared up at f/8. f/8 and f/11 seem same in resolution, and f/16 slightly less. f/9.5 is probably optimum for my copy. (This is slightly changed from my earlier post where I perceived f/16 as best.)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by dms; 06-02-2015 at 12:03 AM. Reason: correct camera model, add disc on comma & resolution vs fstop