Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2015, 07:31 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 Macro Samples

This lens is also banded as a Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, possibly Series 1? It only magnifies to 1:2 without the matched adapter, which I sadly lack. Still, it is a fantastic lens for macro and anything else doable at 90mm, really. Nicknamed the "Bokina, and with good reason.

A few bees:

Dancing Bee

Bokeh Bee

Last edited by Nick Siebers; 07-28-2017 at 09:10 AM.
09-07-2015, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
amazing photos, everything is just right
10-27-2016, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
This lens is also banded as a Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, possibly Series 1? It only magnifies to 1:2 without the matched adapter, which I sadly lack. Still, it is a fantastic lens for macro and anything else doable at 90mm, really. Nicknamed the "Bokina, and with good reason.

A few bees:

Dancing Bee

Bokeh Bee
No, actually the Vivitar, usually selling for about 50% of the AT-X price, is not a rebadged Tokina AT-X, although it is often mistaken for such. Tokina says their almost identical design is quite independent of the Vivitar lens. Performance apparently is quite similar, and some say the Vivitar build quality is even better than the excellent all-metal AT-X build quality. This adds up to the Vivitar's being a great value.
10-27-2016, 12:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

how does this lens compare to the DFA 100mm WR Macro ? heard a lot of good reviews for the 100mm

10-27-2016, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AT-X 90mm macro versus Pentax D FA 100mm macro

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
how does this lens compare to the DFA 100mm WR Macro ? heard a lot of good reviews for the 100mm
The AT-X is rated by any reviewers as among the top 3-4 camera lenses ever manufactured in terms of sharpness. It is an old technology full metal construction, manual focus only but with A setting in its Pentax mount, allowing automatic exposure. For many people, the manual focus aspect is irrelevant because manual focus works best in macro situations anyway. Actually, I personally tend to focus not by turning the focus ring, but by moving the camera toward or away from the subject to attain focus.

I have not used the Pentax D FA 100mm macro. However, it has features that may or may not be valuable to any individual photographer--weather resistance and auto focussing notably. It probably also is less apt to flare because of more modern coatings technology. To me personally the WR feature would be valuable along with any improved flare resistance, but I would not use AF even if available--well not for macro applications, though perhaps for portraiture or other non-macro applications. Some reviewers have remarked that the lens is less sharp even than other modern macros such as the Tamron 90mm f 2.8 at about 60% of the Pentax price.

For me, the AT-X remains the standard by which all other macro lenses have to be judged, at least in terms of image quality. There may well be situations in which the Pentax's modern features including weather resistance outweigh the image quality characteristics of the AT-X, particularly for professional work flow where an all Pentax equipment setup is preferred and the Pentax image quality is found to be adequate for the purpose at hand. I might add that the Tokina lens is not easy to locate nowadays, and it may take some patient searching to locate a copy in good condition.

---------- Post added 10-27-16 at 04:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
Looked at your site, and love your portraiture and wedding work! Kind regards.
10-27-2016, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
For me, the AT-X remains the standard by which all other macro lenses have to be judged, at least in terms of image quality
that tells a lot about this lens' quality ! and for macro, AF is certainly not required, but WR is kinda useful though
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Looked at your site, and love your portraiture and wedding work! Kind regards.
thanks a lot for your kind words, really appreciated
04-02-2021, 06:28 AM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

reviving this thread - this lens is far too good

my copy just arrived yesterday - in a Contax/Yashica mount, which made it about half the price of a K-mount version....

04-02-2021, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

04-02-2021, 06:30 AM   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

04-02-2021, 06:31 AM - 2 Likes   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

04-02-2021, 05:35 PM   #11
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

from what I've read, there are some questions about whether or not this lens is the basis for the Vivitar Series 1 90mm macro lens; differences in time-frame-manufactured, differences in barrel design, etc....
04-03-2021, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

04-04-2021, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Thanks for reviving this thread. I will try to respond when we finally get a few more flowers--only daffodiols and forsythia so far!
04-15-2021, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #14
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

04-30-2021, 08:21 PM   #15
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter