Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2017, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 76
Pentax FA 20mm f2.8

Didn't see a dedicated thread for this one but given the interest in wide angle options for the Pentax K1 I thought it was worth starting.

I don't go wide an awful lot so picked this up for a fraction of the cost of the much larger, heavier and expensive new "Pentax 15-30 f2.8" lens.

Initial impressions are that the lens is good for the cost, I'm sure that the 15-30 is probably better but I don't believe its worth the cost for me as I don't shoot ultra wide that often.

Couple of shots from me taken in East Lothian, Scotland with the K1 on a grey January day!





01-03-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member
jab2980's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 462
Thanks for sharing, Edin. I've been torn on what to get, as the FA 20 is the only fully supported FF lens wider than 24mm that is AF. For now, I'm using the upper end of my DA 12-24 and it is working ok for me. I am pretty jealous of the Nikon 20mm 1.8 at this point. Despite being MF, I'd love to pick up the Rokinon 20mm f/1.8, but that is way too high of a price tag for a Rokinon that doesn't even have any real-world reviews about it yet.

Last edited by jab2980; 01-04-2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Out of mind
01-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 21,055
QuoteOriginally posted by jab2980 Quote
Thanks for sharing, Edin. I've been torn on what to get, as the FA 20 is the only fully supported FF lens wider than 24mm that is AF. For now, I'm using the upper end of my DA 12-24 and it is working ok for me. I am pretty jealous of the Nikon 20mm 1.8 at this point. Despite being MF, I'd love to pick up the Rokinon 20mm f/1.8, but that is way too high of a price tag for a Rokinon that doesn't even have any real-world reviews about it yet.
In addition to the FA 20 there are some other lenses that go this wide with AF:

Pentax:
DFA 15-30
F 17-28
FAJ 18-35
F 20-35
FA 20-35 (EDITED: Typo earlier indicated F series which doesn't exist!)

Sigma
15mm f2.8 EX DG fisheye
12-24 f4.5-5.6 EX DG
15-30 f/3.5-4.5 EX DG
17-35 f/2.8-4 EX DG
20-40 f/2.8 EX DG
8mm circular fisheye...

Not sure if any of those are helpful to you in your quest for wide on the k-1 but I thought I would point these out. I may have missed some or included one or two by mistake but I think that is a good place to start.

QuoteOriginally posted by edin_togger Quote
Didn't see a dedicated thread for this one but given the interest in wide angle options for the Pentax K1 I thought it was worth starting.

I don't go wide an awful lot so picked this up for a fraction of the cost of the much larger, heavier and expensive new "Pentax 15-30 f2.8" lens.

Initial impressions are that the lens is good for the cost, I'm sure that the 15-30 is probably better but I don't believe its worth the cost for me as I don't shoot ultra wide that often.

Couple of shots from me taken in East Lothian, Scotland with the K1 on a grey January day!
These are lovely shots.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 01-03-2017 at 08:29 PM.
01-03-2017, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Newcastle
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,954
In my use of the FA20 (which I love) I have found the use of a CPL a must. The CPL really helps with getting the saturation evident in the scene right.

01-03-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member
jab2980's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 462
Sorry, I shouldn't be posting on a forum when sleep deprived, apparently (newborn). I'll edit my post when I get to a computer... I had confused my own lens selection criteria with reality.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
In addition to the FA 20 there are some other lenses that go this wide with AF:

Pentax:
DFA 15-30
F 17-28
FAJ 18-35
F 20-35

Sigma
15mm f2.8 EX DG fisheye
12-24 f4.5-5.6 EX DG
15-30 f/3.5-4.5 EX DG
17-35 f/2.8-4 EX DG
20-40 f/2.8 EX DG
8mm circular fisheye...

Not sure if any of those are helpful to you in your quest for wide on the k-1 but I thought I would point these out. I may have missed some or included one or two by mistake but I think that is a good place to start.



These are lovely shots.
01-03-2017, 06:03 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 21,055
QuoteOriginally posted by jab2980 Quote
Sorry, I shouldn't be posting on a forum when sleep deprived, apparently (newborn). I'll edit my post when I get to a computer... I had confused my own lens selection criteria with reality.
Not a worry in the world. I figured you might want to check these out if you didn't know about them.
01-03-2017, 06:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 4,765
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
In my use of the FA20 (which I love) I have found the use of a CPL a must. The CPL really helps with getting the saturation evident in the scene right.
Interesting viewpoint. My CPL experience is that wider than 24mm gives uneven sky color.

01-03-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 420
Sigma 8-16

I found the Sigma 8-16 to be usable on full-frame at 16 mm but with some vignetting as seen below. This example is unedited except for resizing. The lens is pretty sharp and not too large. I may end up selling it if I can tolerate the size and weight of the 15-30.

01-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member
mwilky55's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southeastern Connecticut
Photos: Albums
Posts: 815
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
In addition to the FA 20 there are some other lenses that go this wide with AF:

Pentax:
DFA 15-30
F 17-28
FAJ 18-35
F 20-35

Sigma
15mm f2.8 EX DG fisheye
12-24 f4.5-5.6 EX DG
15-30 f/3.5-4.5 EX DG
17-35 f/2.8-4 EX DG
20-40 f/2.8 EX DG
8mm circular fisheye...

Not sure if any of those are helpful to you in your quest for wide on the k-1 but I thought I would point these out. I may have missed some or included one or two by mistake but I think that is a good place to start.



These are lovely shots.
Isn't there also an FA20-35?
01-03-2017, 08:28 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 21,055
QuoteOriginally posted by mwilky55 Quote
Isn't there also an FA20-35?
LOL - Yes - and there is NO F 20-35. Sorry it was a typo.
01-04-2017, 03:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ehrwien's Avatar

Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,686
There's also a Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX aspherical DG
01-04-2017, 07:07 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 21,055
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
There's also a Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX aspherical DG
Yup. I ran out of steam. The list isn't fully comprehensive.
05-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #13
New Member




Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1
QuoteOriginally posted by edin_togger Quote
Didn't see a dedicated thread for this one but given the interest in wide angle options for the Pentax K1 I thought it was worth starting.

I don't go wide an awful lot so picked this up for a fraction of the cost of the much larger, heavier and expensive new "Pentax 15-30 f2.8" lens.

Initial impressions are that the lens is good for the cost, I'm sure that the 15-30 is probably better but I don't believe its worth the cost for me as I don't shoot ultra wide that often.

Couple of shots from me taken in East Lothian, Scotland with the K1 on a grey January day!



Hi, Spectacular Pictures with a lot of details and contrast. I am looking for a UWA Fast Autofocus lens for my new K1. While the 15-30 is great, it is quite heavy (for travel) and 'expensive' for me.

I am not able to find Pentax FA 20mm f2.8 available in any site/stores. Wondering, if the Pentax FA 20mm f2.8 has been discontinued?
05-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member
jab2980's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 462
QuoteOriginally posted by vaidynatarajan Quote
. Wondering, if the Pentax FA 20mm f2.8 has been discontinued?
Yes, quite some time ago.
05-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 21,055
Look on ebay, keh, here in the marketplace and you may find a good used copy.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, chris, cost, flickr, harbour, k1, lens, mitchell, pentax, pentax fa 20mm, pentax lens, sample photo, seacliff
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: (all sold ) FA 31mm f1.8, FA 77mm f1.8, FA 20mm f2.8, FA 100mm f2.8macro, F50mm f1,7 redpigeons Sold Items 8 01-12-2016 08:43 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax FA 20mm f2.8 with caps, case, box and filter sholtzma Sold Items 3 10-29-2015 12:24 PM
For Sale - Sold: Rare Like-New SMC Pentax-FA 20mm F2.8 FOR SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Fenwoodian Sold Items 3 08-26-2015 10:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:51 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top