Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CooperPete Quote
Dear northcoastgreg:
Thank you for posting these beautiful photos. I am a new member and new to Pentax camera and lens. I just bought a Pentax KP w/ HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE lens, it's on the way to be shipped to me. I am mostly shooting landscape and art objects. my Q. to you is: how satisfied are you with the Pentax KP? I am torn choosing between a Sony A7 III, or a Pentax K-1 Mark II, or Pentax KP. my most concern about use Pentax is the stabilizing function, seems like all Pentax camera needs a tripod, am i right? Does Pentax KP the same way? any responses from you is appreciated.
Best
Fong

With the KP's high ISO performance, you only must use a tripod if doing Pixel Shift or very low light/long exposure photography. Greg takes amazing shots though so asking him is not a bad idea!

04-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #17

Dear northcoastgreg:
Thank you for posting these beautiful photos. I am a new member and new to Pentax camera and lens. I just bought a Pentax KP w/ HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE lens, it's on the way to be shipped to me. I am mostly shooting landscape and art objects. my Q. to you is: how satisfied are you with the Pentax KP? I am torn choosing between a Sony A7 III, or a Pentax K-1 Mark II, or Pentax KP. my most concern about use Pentax is the stabilizing function, seems like all Pentax camera needs a tripod, am i right? Does Pentax KP the same way? any responses from you is appreciated.
Best
Fong

Oh, again, looks like the HD Pentax -DA 55-300mm PLM works well with your Pentax KP, does it need firmware update on the camera to be able to us the lens?
Thanks
Fong

---------- Post added 04-12-18 at 02:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
With the KP's high ISO performance, you only must use a tripod if doing Pixel Shift or very low light/long exposure photography. Greg takes amazing shots though so asking him is not a bad idea!
Thanks, That very good knowledge.
I love the quality of the Pentax, and the beautiful photo it produces. i tried Pentax K-1, somehow seems like even use tripod, my photo is not as sharp, don't know if its my skill, or my unsteady hands, I live in Berkeley, wish there are Pentax forum group in my town.
thanks again.
04-12-2018, 02:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Oh, again, looks like the HD Pentax -DA 55-300mm PLM works well with your Pentax KP, does it need firmware update on the camera to be able to us the lens?
Thanks
Fong

---------- Post added 04-12-18 at 02:48 PM ----------

Thanks, That very good knowledge.
I love the quality of the Pentax, and the beautiful photo it produces. i tried Pentax K-1, somehow seems like even use tripod, my photo is not as sharp, don't know if its my skill, or my unsteady hands, I live in Berkeley, wish there are Pentax forum group in my town.
thanks again.
Glad to hear it,
I use a 55-300 PLM often and it is one of my most used lenses both with my previous camera (A K-50 with the firmware upgraded,) and my current KP. Check out the KP threads here as the top 3 to 5 are most active.
Here is a link to a higher resolution shot with my 55-300 PLM in the snow last week. Two Jays Having a Cold Lunch by Thomas Needham - Photo 252513907 / 500px

Each lens you use sometimes has differing focus characteristics and may need to be fine tuned for each camera body. Here is an article on how to test for, and make adjustments to get sharper focus with your camera and lens combination.
Fixing Front and Back Focus - The Remedy - In-Depth Articles

You do not need to buy a lens calibration target but can print and assemble your own if you want to save the cash. Just follow the instructions carefully and set your camera as needed.
Good luck, I loved playing with the K-1 at the store and my KP feels like its little brother as far as how solid it feels in my hands.

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 04-12-2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling
04-12-2018, 05:49 PM - 2 Likes   #19

Dear Thomas:
Thanks a million! This is so helpful. the photo of birds in snow are wonderful, beautiful bokeh!
here are some of the photo i took, it just not sharp, don't know how to adjust of improve, I am really new to DSLR camera in general.
thank you again.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Dear Thomas:
Thanks a million! This is so helpful. the photo of birds in snow are wonderful, beautiful bokeh!
here are some of the photo i took, it just not sharp, don't know how to adjust of improve, I am really new to DSLR camera in general.
thank you again.
There is nothing really wrong with any of those shots you posted here. Since they are resized and the Jpeg quality is reduced it is hard to tell if there are any actual flaws. The cat and Alcatraz are very good images, even at reduced web sizes. In the Alcatraz shot, it appears that the focus point is on or just behind the building in the foreground, Not knowing the lens you used makes it hard for me to tell you what you may have done. Settings, focus points, AE settings, etc.
I am a complete novice at digital photography also so I will recommend you order the book , Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, 4th edition. Great primer for using the great light you have available in your neighborhood to your best advantage. I am going to start re-reading it this weekend since it is going to be well below freezing again.

You will love the combination you ordered. What other K mount lenses do you own or have available to borrow. Post in the KP section and get good advice on lenses. I have DA 15 LTD, DA 20-40 LTD, 2 manual 28mm, DA 50 1.8, FA 77 LTD, DA 18-250, DA 55-300 PLM, DA 17-70 F4 SDM, Takumar 135mm 2.5 Bayonet, And several others. I had a bad case of Lens Buying Addiction after getting my K-50. I am now trying to reduce my inventory of lenses but there are so many that look like fun to use! When you get your camera take some shots and start a thread about any questions. there are many smart folks here who know a lot more than I ever will about gear and good images.

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 04-14-2018 at 03:30 PM.
04-12-2018, 07:50 PM - 4 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

how satisfied are you with the Pentax KP?
I am quite satisfied with the KP. It's the best camera I've ever owned.

my most concern about use Pentax is the stabilizing function, seems like all Pentax camera needs a tripod, am i right?
The KP features the same 5-axis stabilization that's used in the K-1. It's very good. I've gotten tripod sharp images with the DA 21 at shutter speeds as low as 1/8 second (though it's a bit hit and miss at that slow a shutter speed). I do a lot more hand-held work with the KP than I ever did with my K-5 cameras. I also use a tripod for some shots.

Sunrise over Arcata Bay with KP and DA 55-300 PLM, shot hand-held:

04-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #22

There is nothing really wrong with any of those shots you posted here. Since they are resized and the Jpeg quality is reduced it is hard to tell if there are any actual flaws. The cat and Alcatraz are very good images, even at reduced web sizes. In the Alcatraz shot, it appears that the focus point is on or just behind the building in the foreground, Not knowing the lens you used makes it hard for me to tell you what you may have done. Settings, focus points, AE settings, etc.
I am a complete novice at digital photography also so I will recommend you order the book , Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, 4th edition. Great primer for using the great light you have available in your neighborhood to your best advantage. I am going to start re-reading it this weekend since it is going to be well below freezing again.

You will love the combination you ordered. What other K mount lenses do you own or have available to borrow. Post in the KP section and get good advice on lenses. I have DA 15 LTD, DA 20-40 LTD, 2 manual 28mm, DA 50 1.8, FA 77 LTD, DA 18-250, DA 55-300 PLM, DA 17-70 F4 SDM, Takumar 135mm 2.5 Bayonet, And several others. I had a bad case of Lens Buying Addiction after getting my K-50. I am now trying to reduce my inventory of lenses but there are so many that look like fun to use! When you get your camera take some shots and start a thread about any questions. there are many smart folks here who know a lot more than I ever will about gear and good images.
Hi, NorthCost PHotographer:
Thank you For the reply, I enjoy your work very much.
I just got my KP, even though I am still not familiar with it yet, but from the photos I took, I love it. I think it's going to be fun to learn all about PK.
Best Regard
CP

---------- Post added 04-25-18 at 10:11 PM ----------

Dear SSGGeezer:
I have these lenses before i even had my PK, HAHAHA, my friend think i'm crazy.
SMC PENTAX-M 50mm f1.7
SMC Pentax-DA 50mm f1.8
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm f2.8 Limited
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f4.5-6.3ED PLM WR RE
Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1
Carl Zeiss Jena DDR MC 135m f3.5 M42
Pentax Asahi Super-Takumar 35mm f/3.5
I will get the book you recommend, thanks for your help.
I live in Bay Area, would love to get in touch with Pentax User in my area, If you ever come to my town, please come visit, we are in spring now, weather getting hotter everyday. all the flowers are blooming madly.
Thanks again for your kind help.
CP

Last edited by CooperPete; 04-25-2018 at 10:32 PM.
05-12-2018, 09:20 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Two sunset pictures so show flare resistance

63mm f9.5

88mm f22 (mostly cropped the sides for a different aspect ration, the height of the image is essentially unchanged)

05-12-2018, 09:32 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

What a message...
QuoteQuote:
Important: Before Posting

Dear normhead: Before posting a thread in this forum, please browse the thread index and use the search feature to make sure that a thread with samples doesn't already exist for the same lens. Thanks!
There are 12 pages of threads in this index, and I'm supposed to browse them before I post? I browsed 3 pages and lost interest. I think I'll pass. I'll leave that to someone who actually has the power to merge the threads if there is another 55-300 PLM thread. Suggest anyone else with ADD do the same.

Some 55-300 PLM images from my first day with the lens.

05-14-2018, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Some BIF since Norm hasn't stopped by recently. Not perfect since I should have had it at f8 or f9. Other is at home on my Plum tree
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
05-15-2018, 06:53 AM - 4 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

Boats in Woodley Island Marina, Eureka, CA --- shot with KP @55mm using PS:

05-15-2018, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

No birds in flight but a Bumblebee in flight instead. Has the tongue out ready to get in that flowering bush at the rest area in Falmouth, Maine. I had shot some with my cheapo Promaster 28-80mm but there were so many hard working Bumblebees on the flowers, I went and put my PLM back on. Close up is extreme crop of the first image. This is wide open at 300mm! Not a macro but does a pretty good job with the details.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 05-15-2018 at 07:50 PM.
05-16-2018, 10:11 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

Another Hummingbird came to visit my Cherry and Plum trees this morning. Some very High ISO shots in the Post your best KP images thread also.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
05-21-2018, 02:06 PM - 3 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

Tree in the Bald Hills, in Redwood NP:

05-28-2018, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian