Good lens for a bokeholic like me.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely, Dave

How does it render bokeh transitions in normal use? I have a few Soviet lenses that produce these outlined out-of-focus highlights, and they can be a little "busy" in transitional areas of an image. Worth it for the wide open effects, though
02-19-2018, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Lovely, Dave

How does it render bokeh transitions in normal use? I have a few Soviet lenses that produce these outlined out-of-focus highlights, and they can be a little "busy" in transitional areas of an image. Worth it for the wide open effects, though

I just finished adapting this old Occilloscope lens this morning so I have very little experience shooting it. It's cold snowy winter still here in northern Wisconsin. I can't wait for spring to come and then I'll shoot this lens more outside.

I bought this lens for under $100 USD on Ebay, so I'm not expecting a lot from it. I expect that it will probably be a one trick pony lens (good at bokeh highlights but not much else). Still, it's fun testing odd ball lenses.
02-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Was it difficult to adapt?

02-24-2018, 12:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Was it difficult to adapt?
No very easy - for me. I've adapted dozens of rare/odd-ball lenses and have a knack for doing it.

This is a fixed focus lens. No ability to focus it, but it does have wonderful "built in" controls for aperture and shutter speed (although the fastest shutter speed available through the lens is only 1/50th - so I needed to disable the shutter on the lens and use the shutter on the camera itself).

I have an APS-C mirrorless Fuji X. I knew it would fit on that. Well I tried it out on that camera, and the fixed focus point was maybe about 6 feet away.

I was encouraged, so then I held it in front of the sensor on my K1 full frame. The fixed focus point was now shortened to only a couple of feet in front of the lens. Basically, a pop/soda can when in focus would fill up the entire frame. That works for me.

Even though that was a little too close to be optimum, I none the less decided to adapt it for use on my K1 because I like the idea of using the entire lens and not just the central portion of it.

I have bins full of hundreds of extra lens parts/adapters/rings/mounts etc. After a bit of trial and error, I was able to properly fit this Wollensack ossilloscope lens to my K1 by using only 4 parts that all fit together very nicely. Easy process for me, but probably not easy for someone who does not have the parts laying around or experience adapting odd-ball old lenses.

If anyone wants me to do it for them, and can send me the lens, I'll do it for you for a reasonable fee. I believe that I have enough of these spare parts laying around to adapt a few more of these lenses. Can put on any of the following mounts: fuji, canon, nikon, and of course Pentax.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-24-2018 at 01:04 PM.
02-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's a photo of the lens after I adapted it.

I like it so much that I purchased another Wollensak lens today (different size). Look forward to adapting that one and trying it out too. For some really unusual effects, I just might make that one a tilt/shift lens .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-24-2018 at 01:08 PM.
07-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Here's a photo of the lens after I adapted it.

I like it so much that I purchased another Wollensak lens today (different size). Look forward to adapting that one and trying it out too. For some really unusual effects, I just might make that one a tilt/shift lens .
Have you thought about throwing it on a set of bellows so you can focus with it?

01-22-2021, 11:11 AM   #8

Hi to all here, since a few days I own a Wollensak Oscillo Raptar 1,9/75. I was looking so long for this lens in Germany. Now I want to adapt it on my Canons. Maybe You can tell me more about the parts of your adaptation?
01-22-2021, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Carmei Quote
Hi to all here, since a few days I own a Wollensak Oscillo Raptar 1,9/75. I was looking so long for this lens in Germany. Now I want to adapt it on my Canons. Maybe You can tell me more about the parts of your adaptation?
Note this thread is quite old, but perhaps you may still get your answer posting in this one.