Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2018, 05:06 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
F 50/1.7 | M 28/2.8 | Mamiya/Sekor 35/2.8 | Helios 44K-4 - side by side night shots

This might be a weird pick of lenses. I just happened to have these with me and take very similar night shots last night (some are posted in different threads).

All are with a tripod-mounted K-50 Manual mode - ISO 400 - Apertures somewhere between 5.6 and 4 - Shutters between 3 and 4 seconds (again, I did not mean to do a "test", so sorry for not being so precise).

While not a perfect test, it is a good comparison of these random lenses on the same subject:

F 50/1.7 - notes = Nice 3D effect - I am not sure if on manual the infinity end of the focus is "beyond infinity" - it was the most fuzzy:

M 28/2.8 - notes = I should have stopped it more to have less flares. Note that flares are only very close to the light sources - I like the sharpness:

Mamiya/Sekor 35/2.8 - notes = for me, it is the most "artistic" capture. Lots of flares, even away from light sources (previous tests of this lens did not gave me so much flare...) I still dig the lens:

Helios 44K-4 - notes = good softness to it, also nice 3D effect. I like the result, albeit not many would use this lens for this purpose.

Overall - I should have taken the shots at ISO 200 and closer to f8; thus a longer shutter - such might provide better sharpness for all lenses and less flare.

I like all results for different reasons. Hope this is a cool random sample, enjoy.

10-18-2018, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the composition of #2 the best but that lens doesn't like light sources. #4 has something nice about it too. It is fun to try out multiple lenses in these situations to see how they compare, nice work.
10-18-2018, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I think the crazy lights in #2 are pretty attractive. It's nice to see something different out of all the urban landscape shots you know.
10-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I like the composition of #2 the best but that lens doesn't like light sources
Thanks

#2's composition is my favorite as well, along with another shot not posted here with the same M28/2.8 that night. I honestly think the lighting is my fault rather than the len's. Also, I've learned that for this kind of shooting (night city lights), having an overcast sky helps a lot with flaring.

---------- Post added 10-19-18 at 10:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I think the crazy lights in #2 are pretty attractive. It's nice to see something different out of all the urban landscape shots you know.
Thanks - crazy lights was a rough PP - I never like to do too much in post, as I like to keep what I capture, but yeah, crazy lights fits well as a description.

10-23-2018, 04:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although I appreciate the effort in this post, it needs to be moved, the idea of the image archive is to have one lense and one lens only perthread

I will ask the moderators to move this to the lens discussion forum
10-23-2018, 06:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Although I appreciate the effort in this post, it needs to be moved, the idea of the image archive is to have one lense and one lens only perthread

I will ask the moderators to move this to the lens discussion forum
I understand where you are coming from. I wouldn't mind if the thread is moved to a different discussion. When posting it, I honestly did not know where to place it as I really hadn't seen many multi-lens / comparison threads.

If/when moved, at least I'll know where to post in the future, as I plan to do this type of experiment once more.

thanks.