Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2019, 03:42 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
HD PENTAX-D FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW

For stills, this lens is amazing. Here are some from a recent shoot for a local dog rescue (Mile High German Shorthair Pointer Rescue)

06-06-2019, 07:01 PM   #2

It has the fastest auto focus if you compare the rest of the pentax lenses.
06-06-2019, 07:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You know we have a trope here on Pentax Forums of people complaining that they can't focus on their dog running!
06-06-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You know we have a trope here on Pentax Forums of people complaining that they can't focus on their dog running!
That was one of a series of about 12 shots. More were in focus than with screw-drive lenses, but it wasn't quite batting 500.

06-06-2019, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
That was one of a series of about 12 shots. More were in focus than with screw-drive lenses, but it wasn't quite batting 500.
Such is the nature of action shooting, Dave. I've seen footage of Corey Rich zone focusing his Nikon D5 because it wouldn't yield the keepers he needed for a Red Bull skateboarder shoot.

People who don't shoot sports don't seem to understand that.
06-10-2019, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Such is the nature of action shooting, Dave.
Definitely. I keep about 10% of the bird shots I take on a good day. Typically with shows like Axel running, I would set to manual, set my focus point, set up a shot with him running toward the camera, burst shoot starting before he arrived at the focus point, and then do that five or six times to get one or two good shots. But, I don't want people to think that because I could use AF with this lens to get some good action shots that's a panacea for all the challenges in action photography.
06-11-2019, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Definitely. I keep about 10% of the bird shots I take on a good day. Typically with shows like Axel running, I would set to manual, set my focus point, set up a shot with him running toward the camera, burst shoot starting before he arrived at the focus point, and then do that five or six times to get one or two good shots. But, I don't want people to think that because I could use AF with this lens to get some good action shots that's a panacea for all the challenges in action photography.
In particular, this is just a 50mm lens, way shorter than the 70-200 f2.8 standard for any sport where you can get courtside/trackside. By the time a dog's anywhere near filling the frame, it's too close, with a dramatic change in Z direction. This is just to further illustrate how good your shot really is!
06-12-2019, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #8

Beautiful dog and great shots.

I love the look of the photos from this lens. And I want to get it (of course), just having a hard time seeing how it's worth 3-4 times more than what I paid for a very nice used 43 mm limited. I know the 50 is slightly sharper and generally better. But how much better? It's the same with the old 50 mm dfa 1.4. I know it's too soft wide open but you can get it at almost 1/10 of the price of the new lens.

Still, I want to get it, preferably a used one so I can save.

3 Days Ago   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I got to use the 50mm for another dog shoot today. Here's a black lab mix named Baxter (and some non-dog photos first.):