Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-23-2019, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Hanimex HMC 90-210mm F4 m42

I found this lens in a bin at a thrift shop and picked up up for a few dollars because it was pretty clean and had a screw mount. I've searched high, low, wide, near, and far but have begun to think that this is the only 90 to 210 ever produced. Lens facia and zoom ring both say 90, It has only four stops - 4, 8, 11, and 16, no half stops in there. The macro slider rotates the macro ring about 90 degrees, focus ring is multi turn. One of my adapters keeps the aperture pin down, there is no manual switch. I've had it a half dozen years and today took it outside to try it out I it has a little haze inside, not bad yet but I think it causes a bit of washed out appearance. I may have shoot some more to make sure that none of the softness is attributable to focus and to evaluate the bokeh.
Following are some photos of the lens and a few photos. The palm tree was hand held at 210mm, followed by a crop at pixel level, the flowers were taken in macro position and the last photo was processed for noise, contrast, saturation etc.

Not a bad $10 lens. If anyone knows or can deduce anything about the lens, I would be interested in hearing it, I suspect that this was sold as an 80-210 by someone, but I haven't been able to match it based on appearance of the ones I compared.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS REBEL T5  Photo 
12-23-2019, 08:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hanimex was the lens brand/name of the East German Practica cameras. A copy of the Pentax cameras of the time (60's to 70's).
12-24-2019, 07:04 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Hanimex was the lens brand/name of the East German Practica cameras. A copy of the Pentax cameras of the time (60's to 70's).
While researching this lens, I ran across and article talking about the company being being founded in Australia in the late 40s as an import-export company for optics equipment, I can dig up the link if you would like. I think they bought everything they could get a good deal on to rebrand and market.

Jim