Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2021, 08:25 AM - 3 Likes   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,380
It can work for wildlife too, when they just stand around and look at you...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
06-01-2021, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
newmikey's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,014
A call for help/experiences

I just purchased the Irix 150mm and optically, it truly is a joy! Still have to get used to the precise control at close-focusing distances but I'm getting there. My question is about the focus ring. Although the friction control ring is entirely in the "unlock" position, I find the focus ring a bit stiff, even "crunchy" now and then. Anyone able to set my mind at ease here?

In the meantime first batch handheld during a doggy walk in the park - haven't tried it on my macrorail yet:




06-01-2021, 03:42 AM   #123
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 28,795
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
I just purchased the Irix 150mm and optically, it truly is a joy! Still have to get used to the precise control at close-focusing distances but I'm getting there. My question is about the focus ring. Although the friction control ring is entirely in the "unlock" position, I find the focus ring a bit stiff, even "crunchy" now and then. Anyone able to set my mind at ease here?

In the meantime first batch handheld during a doggy walk in the park - haven't tried it on my macrorail yet:




nice work!

did you buy the lens used or new?

I found the focus ring stiff when I bought it, but it has loosened some over time.... but I've never thought of it as 'crunchy'....
06-01-2021, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
newmikey's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,014
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
nice work!

did you buy the lens used or new?

I found the focus ring stiff when I bought it, but it has loosened some over time.... but I've never thought of it as 'crunchy'....
Totally brand spanking new from a very reputable (web)shop here in the Netherlands. Good to hear it loosens over time and maybe "crunchy" is not really the right word - I sometimes(very rarely) have some issues finding the appropriate English terminology for so-called collision onomatopoeia (of which crunch is one) because the Dutch sounds are so different.

06-01-2021, 04:26 AM   #125
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 28,795
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Totally brand spanking new from a very reputable (web)shop here in the Netherlands. Good to hear it loosens over time and maybe "crunchy" is not really the right word - I sometimes(very rarely) have some issues finding the appropriate English terminology for so-called collision onomatopoeia (of which crunch is one) because the Dutch sounds are so different.
no worries - when you wrote 'crunchy', I translated it to 'gritty' or just not a smooth feel to the focus ring...
07-06-2021, 09:54 PM - 5 Likes   #126
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 28,795
Original Poster
working out my manual-focus mojo with a crop duster this morning:



07-06-2021, 09:55 PM - 3 Likes   #127
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 28,795
Original Poster




07-06-2021, 09:55 PM - 3 Likes   #128
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 28,795
Original Poster
07-07-2021, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #129
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,380
Those are some excellent shots pepperberry!
07-07-2021, 06:22 AM   #130
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 28,795
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Those are some excellent shots pepperberry!
thank you....
07-08-2021, 12:58 PM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
newmikey's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,014
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Those are some excellent shots pepperberry!
I ditto that, especially for a MF lens! Awesome work.
07-08-2021, 02:08 PM   #132
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 28,795
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
I ditto that, especially for a MF lens! Awesome work.
thank you....
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
150mm f2.8 macro, camera, farm, flickr, irix 150mm f2.8, pentax lens, sample photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Irix Dragonfly 150 2.8 Macro 1:1 $299 landofcourtness Pentax Price Watch 19 06-07-2020 11:33 AM
Irix 150mm F2.8 Macro lens is on sale for $495 a B&H. gaweidert Pentax Price Watch 2 11-08-2019 05:46 PM
Irix Dragonfly 150mm Macro Mistral75 Pentax News and Rumors 156 02-11-2019 07:16 AM
For Sale - Sold: Irix 15mm f/2.4 Blackstone with Irix 100mm filter holder and Light pollution filter valimyr Sold Items 3 10-26-2018 03:17 PM
Ultra wide angle Irix 15mm or Irix 11mm matroxication Pentax K-1 & K-1 II 67 09-19-2018 10:01 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:51 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top