Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 199 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2020, 07:41 AM   #31
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TimR Quote
pepperberry farm great photos and thread.
You are very talented. Thanks for sharing.
I am going to have to put this lens on my dream list.

thank you, Tim!

02-03-2020, 04:00 AM - 7 Likes   #32
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

02-03-2020, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
a fairly-new lens, but kinda surprised that it isn't represented here (yet)

So - what are your impressions?

LBA striking back… Shall I...?
02-03-2020, 08:36 AM   #34
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
So - what are your impressions?

LBA striking back… Shall I...?
all the things you could want in a mid-length macro: sharp, color, even smooth bokeh....

I've been using it hand-held, and it can be ponderous.. but it seems to be worth it...

02-04-2020, 04:12 AM   #35
Unregistered User

I concur with the crowd, they're great pictures. One objection, though, those are not "gears" - gears mesh with other gears, not chains - those are "sprockets".

I already have an Irix wide angle lens, and am really happy with it. So I'd have bought their macro lens if I didn't already have the Pentax 100. I'm not as sensitive to the size and weight of lenses as other people are. But I am frugal, and would have prefered to spend half of what I did.
02-04-2020, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anybody know, or could please measure, the free working distance at 1:1 between the lens (hood) and focal plane? Any comparison to the DFA100WR? Being an internal focus lens, i wonder how much the IRIX adds. IRIX reported something like 93mm focal length at 1:1, if I remember correctly.
02-04-2020, 05:56 AM   #37
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Does anybody know, or could please measure, the free working distance at 1:1 between the lens (hood) and focal plane? Any comparison to the DFA100WR? Being an internal focus lens, i wonder how much the IRIX adds. IRIX reported something like 93mm focal length at 1:1, if I remember correctly.
I can try to get that measurement tonight...

02-04-2020, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
a fairly-new lens, but kinda surprised that it isn't represented here (yet)

Hey Pepperberry,

Nice shots! I am thinking about acquiring this lens but as you said "it would be nice to see a review on Pentaxforums". Did a further search and found there is a review on PentaxForums!

I have it in my "Wish List" now and will probably order it in the coming days!
IRIX 150mm f/2.8 Macro 1:1 Lens for Pentax K IL-150DF-P B&H

Link Here to Review!: Irix 150mm F2.8 Macro 1:1 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

PentaxForums have a review via this link:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/review-news/irix-150mm-f28-macro-review-posted.html

Last edited by SharkyCA; 02-28-2020 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Add link to PentaxForums Review
02-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #39
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Hey Pepperberry,

Nice shots! I am thinking about acquiring this lens but as you said "it would be nice to see a review on Pentaxforums". Did a further search and found there is a review on PentaxForums!

I have it in my "Wish List" now and will probably order it in the coming days!
IRIX 150mm f/2.8 Macro 1:1 Lens for Pentax K IL-150DF-P B&H

Link Here to Review!: Irix 150mm F2.8 Macro 1:1 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

thank you...

I will be writing up a review, but not until I use the lens in the Single In Challenge first....
02-04-2020, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Just ordered this lens!

Should have it in my hands by the weekend! Will share some shots and a review when I can!
02-04-2020, 06:17 PM   #41
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
as I re-read your request, I'm not really sure what measurement you are looking for...

from the front edge of the hood to the focal plane is 9 1/8 inches, or a smidge over 23cm...
02-05-2020, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the measurement - but I'm afraid you measured the image (sensor) side, where I meant the object-side distance (object as in objective - the lens). Sorry for the confusion, but it's still useful - read on.

What I meant is the free working distance between the lens hood and the thing being photographed at 1:1 (minimal distance - maximum magnification). I wrote 'focal plane', because for non-flat objects, parts may stick out. So I simply hold a ruler under the lens+camera and move the camera forwards towards a piece of paper taped to my door until I reach focus, sliding along on the ruler. Not overly precise, but within about +/- 2mm for sure.

The practical relevance is the ability to light your object, which you want to photograph, and the 'comfort distance' of insects etc., of course. I'm working frequently at 1;1 ratio, so the distance at this magnification would be of interest to me.

Given that the minimum focal distance of the IRIX is specified as 34.5cm, based on your measurement, there should be 34.5cm - 23cm = 11.5cm free working distance from the hood.

For comparison, on the DFA 50mm Macro has 5cm, with the front of the lens nearly flush with the hood. On the DFA 100mm WR Macro it is 12.5 cm from the hood, with the lens front recessed a bit more than 9mm, so without the hood the free distance would be about 13.4cm.

So in terms of being 'longer' at nominal 150mm, at close distances the internal focusing is eating up that advantage towards the 1:1 range. It's what you can expect from their statement that focal length at 1:1 would be slightly below 100mm.
02-05-2020, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Thanks for the measurement - but I'm afraid you measured the image (sensor) side, where I meant the object-side distance (object as in objective - the lens). Sorry for the confusion, but it's still useful - read on.

What I meant is the free working distance between the lens hood and the thing being photographed at 1:1 (minimal distance - maximum magnification). I wrote 'focal plane', because for non-flat objects, parts may stick out. So I simply hold a ruler under the lens+camera and move the camera forwards towards a piece of paper taped to my door until I reach focus, sliding along on the ruler. Not overly precise, but within about +/- 2mm for sure.

The practical relevance is the ability to light your object, which you want to photograph, and the 'comfort distance' of insects etc., of course. I'm working frequently at 1;1 ratio, so the distance at this magnification would be of interest to me.

Given that the minimum focal distance of the IRIX is specified as 34.5cm, based on your measurement, there should be 34.5cm - 23cm = 11.5cm free working distance from the hood.

For comparison, on the DFA 50mm Macro has 5cm, with the front of the lens nearly flush with the hood. On the DFA 100mm WR Macro it is 12.5 cm from the hood, with the lens front recessed a bit more than 9mm, so without the hood the free distance would be about 13.4cm.

So in terms of being 'longer' at nominal 150mm, at close distances the internal focusing is eating up that advantage towards the 1:1 range. It's what you can expect from their statement that focal length at 1:1 would be slightly below 100mm.
A lot more technical than I usually get into, perhaps this link may answer some of your questions? The link is to a "PDF file"

https://irixlens.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Irix_Product_Catalog_Autumn_2018.pdf
02-05-2020, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

So I bought the lens yesterday. Now I need a slightly better weather to be able to go out and play with this new toy
02-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
https://irixlens.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Irix_Product_Catalog_Autumn_2018.pdf
Unfortunately not, that's why I'm asking here, but I took the 34.5cm minimal focusing distance out of the data sheet :-)