Made me forget about the SMU's.

lol....

thank you...
02-26-2021, 01:40 PM - 2 Likes   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Irix 150mm Macro

Pepperberry Farm,

Just ordered mine last night from BH Photo along with the 11mm. I've had the 15mm since it first came out. ;-)
02-26-2021, 02:12 PM   #109
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
Pepperberry Farm,

Just ordered mine last night from BH Photo along with the 11mm. I've had the 15mm since it first came out. ;-)
congratulations!!!!

looking forward to your work with it....

03-05-2021, 04:18 PM - 2 Likes   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
congratulations!!!!

looking forward to your work with it....
It's here! My one concern, focusing, is not a concern at all with the Pentax K-1 - This is a sweet lens! Thank you Pepperberry Farm for the fine examples you have posted that finally got me to 'pull the trigger' on this lens. ps. my 11mm came in too! ;-)
03-05-2021, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #111
Pentaxian

It's here! My one concern, focusing, is not a concern at all with the Pentax K-1 - This is a sweet lens! Thank you Pepperberry Farm for the fine examples you have posted that finally got me to 'pull the trigger' on this lens. ps. my 11mm came in too! ;-)
Love my 150mm, but I don't use it enough, need to get it out more to build up my arms!
03-05-2021, 09:37 PM - 2 Likes   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Love my 150mm, but I don't use it enough, need to get it out more to build up my arms!
My first task was figuring out how to transport the Irix lenses. The 11mm, 15mm and 150mm just fit in my largest camera bag. Ordered a second bag for the K1 and accessories. ;-)

03-06-2021, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #113
Pentaxian

My first task was figuring out how to transport the Irix lenses. The 11mm, 15mm and 150mm just fit in my largest camera bag. Ordered a second bag for the K1 and accessories. ;-)
Here is a link to a review of a backpack I use, K-70, 18/135, 150mm, DA 35mm, da 55-300, A50mm, and more, still room for a 15" laptop!
Evecase Evecase Professional Large DSLR Camera and 15.6-inch Laptop Backpack w/Rai reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
03-06-2021, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #114
Pentaxian

Updated from when I got mine! Cheers!

Evecase Large DSLR Camera / Laptop Travel Backpack Bag with Rain Cover | evecase
03-06-2021, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Looks nice. Went over to Amazon and they said, "Currently unavailable." ;-)
03-06-2021, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #116
Pentaxian

Looks nice. Went over to Amazon and they said, "Currently unavailable." ;-)
Too bad, I've had mine 3 years and not even 1 broken stitch! I guess it was too good to last and the price was way under the name brands.
04-03-2021, 05:32 PM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
One question from my side.

In the review, there was information that the lens has KA mount. But there's something strange.
In case of other KA lenses I switch the camera to aperture priority mode and I am allowed to set the lens's aperture by the body.
But in case of this Irix lens, this does not work. When I move with the aperture control wheel, I can see that the time value changes instead. But there remains f2.8 in the aperture window.

Is this behaviour the same in your case, or could there be something wrong with my lens?
(I've tried it on my K-7 so far.)

EDIT: So I've attached the lens to KP and everything seems to be as it should.
So now I'm wondering what's different in case of K-7. Obviously there must be some compatibility issue?
I just purchased this lens today via a private sale. The one thing I can confirm, because I tested it before purchasing due to having read this thread, is that my K-7 does read the lens properly. No hesitation. I have full aperture control in both M and Av, which is all I use 99% of the time. I suspected this would be the case, and that the situation is probably one of some defective copies escaping Irix's QA. I'm speculating, but I can confirm that there's no reproducible compatibility issue between this lens and the K-7. Here's hoping Irix addresses these issues because based on my initial impressions of having the lens in my hands, I want this company to prosper and make more offerings.

The lens looks amazing, as good as in the pictures here. I intend to get outside with it tomorrow, and I look forward to adding some content to this thread as soon as I have something worthy. This is my annual gear upgrade, so I intend to use the hell out of it this summer.

As others have noted, this lens has some heft to it. I think people make too much of this issue (with many things beyond lenses), but I also enjoy hiking with some weight and I accept not everybody does, or can.. It feels well balanced to me, and I don't think its weight will present any problem for handheld use. I find the stance (I forget what it's called) where you keep your left elbow folded in to your body to form a bracket supporting the camera to be helpful, but I'm still programming myself to remember to do it properly.

Oh, and one other thing I can confirm is that there is no vignetting issue apparent when using my trusty old Vivitar Macroflash 5000 ring flash (yes, it looks funny, but it works). I was concerned about this because of the whopping 77mm filter thread on the Irix, while the largest adapter for my ring flash is 55mm. I put it on step rings and in some initial test shots all appears evenly lit. This is an important aspect for me, so I figure it might be helpful to others here to know it can work. I can measure the approximate aperture of the ring flash and the distance between the filter thread and the flash unit (with the step rings) if anybody needs the numbers to compare to their model.
04-25-2021, 03:52 PM - 3 Likes   #118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi All, I just received this lens last week from B&H. Thank you pepperberry farm for starting this thread and posting such great images. It made the decision to buy very easy. Unfortunately the lens showed up without the hood. I have been trying to get B&H to confirm they will get Irix to ship it to me so I don't have to return the lens for an exchange, but they haven't been as helpful as I had hoped. Their first proposal was to send me an after-market hood! That didn't get us started off on the right foot. For that reason I have only been out a little taking some test shots to make sure there is nothing wrong with the lens, here are a few...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
04-25-2021, 04:26 PM   #119
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
excellent work - sorry to hear about the hood, however....
04-25-2021, 09:17 PM - 2 Likes   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Hi All, I just received this lens last week from B&H. Thank you pepperberry farm for starting this thread and posting such great images. It made the decision to buy very easy. Unfortunately the lens showed up without the hood. I have been trying to get B&H to confirm they will get Irix to ship it to me so I don't have to return the lens for an exchange, but they haven't been as helpful as I had hoped. Their first proposal was to send me an after-market hood! That didn't get us started off on the right foot. For that reason I have only been out a little taking some test shots to make sure there is nothing wrong with the lens, here are a few...
I just bought the 11mm and 150mm Irix from B&H the 150 was fine, but the 11mm was missing the top to the metal box. Irix gave me a hard case for the 11mm at cost in compensation. Nice work with the 150mm by the way!