Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2011, 04:18 AM   #1
Unregistered

Silky Pix

Hi,

I recently purchased a K-x and bundled with it was a software package called Silky Pics.

I was wondering if this was a good Raw converter or should I be looking at getting Adobe Elements or Light Room?

Thanks,

AV

08-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Welcome Guest,

I've not heard about Silky Pix maybe someone hear sure would have used it and might comment later when they notice your question.
There are other free programs that can manipulate a RAW file so if you are in a tight budget you can manage with softwares like GIMP (http://www.rawtherapee.com/) and PhotoScape (http://download.cnet.com/PhotoScape/3000-2192_4-10703122.html) which have some decent followers.

Having said that I understand the 'camera utility software' that comes with your camera will also be able to handle your RAW.

Good luck!
08-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #3

The Pentax-bundled Silkypix gives very good to excellent results.

Feel free to spend some money on one of the RAW developers you've mentioned, but you would do well to at least try the Silkypix you already have. This will allow you to become comfortable with RAW developing as well as develop a workflow you're comfortable with.

Several years ago I read a lot of reviews and bought the full version of Silkypix, which I still use and love. Great color and intuitive interface. Feel free to search out some reviews and comparisons online (Remember, it's Silkypix - one word). A few years ago it was reviewed quite favorably, but things can change, so I've no idea if it is still competitive with other titles.
08-02-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Make sure you download and install the latest update from Pentax.

08-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi please also see this link here :https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/1511...able-free.html
08-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I tried it when it was bundled with my K-7 almost 2 years ago, but it was so bad that I threw it away after a day. The user interface was downright nonsensical and it kept crashing a lot.
I have been using UFRaw and The GIMP ever since. Both are free but take a lot of getting used to and have their limitations.

There are really a lot of programs to chose from and I would say none of them will immediately give you better results than others. You will have to try a few and see which one works best for you.