Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
Unregistered

Lenses from a 645 Pentax film camera on a K-5?

So I have 3 lenses from a Pentax 645 film camera:
SMC PENTAX-A 645 MACRO 1:4 120mm 67mm,
SMC PENTAX-A 645 1:2.8 45mm,
SMC PENTAX-A 645 ZOOM 1:4.5 80~160mm,
My question is, can I use these lenses on a digital K-5? I seen on the Pentax site that I would need an adapter & there would be restrictions. Does anyone have an idea of what kind of restrictions? They are amazing lenses & so I feel it would be really awesome to use them for an awesome digital camera.

08-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
645 lenses can be used on k-mount cameras such as the k-5 with the adapter. The restrictions are that it is a purely mechanical linkage so you get no auto-focus, no aperture control and the lens model will not show in the exif.

Since those are 'A' lenses then auto-focus is not an issue. You will need to use the aperture ring though as the camera will not be able to control it and you will need to shoot in manual mode.
08-05-2011, 03:07 AM   #3
Inactive Account

You can buy an after market adapter on the auction site for about $80 (US) last time I looked or you can pay over $200 for the Pentax one. They both do the same thing. As stated, it will be purely manual, much like using an M42 type lens. From what I understand, (no personal experience), the camera will not stop down the aperture on these adapted lenses.

08-07-2011, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have greatly enjoyed using my 645 lenses on both my K20D and K5. They are easy to use on the K5 or K20D, a little work is needed on your part to get the settings right, but they deliver fine results and are fun to use.
Love the 120 Macro.....

I have the genuine Pentax adapter, but if you can find a cheaper one, I am sure it will be just as good.
Good Luck!
Rupert

08-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's possible using this adapter (which will almost double in price on 9/1): Pentax 645 Lens to Pentax 35mm K-Mount Body Adapter 38455 B&H

You'll definitely get good IQ, but I'm not sure whether it's worth sacrificing the improved handling of K-mount lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's possible using this adapter (which will almost double in price on 9/1): Pentax 645 Lens to Pentax 35mm K-Mount Body Adapter 38455 B&H

You'll definitely get good IQ, but I'm not sure whether it's worth sacrificing the improved handling of K-mount lenses.
If you already have the 645 lenses, I would highly recommend it, but it does require some effort to get pleasing shots.......like full manual operation, which it is. The inability to stop down without losing light is a negative for sure, in particular for Macro work.

I bough the 645 lenses when they were cheap, in an effort to force myself to shoot full manual and learn more about my camera and how to set it for obtaining the best results. I think it has helped me considerably...although it is hard to see it in my shots. But when I use a 645 lens on my K5or K20D, I can do pretty good!

Shot with the 645 200mm A lens on the K20D
[IMG] [/IMG]

You sure won't be using rapid fire shutter speed when 645 shooting!

Best Regards!
08-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
Unregistered

Thanks

Thanks for all the info you`ve shared with me! I hope that things work out & I`ll be able to practice with these lenses on a digital :-)

« Jeff | visor k20d »