Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
And I'll repeat my argument that the 18-55 plus 50-200 or 55-300 kit is disruptive, breaking up a vital focal range. 17-70 (or thereabouts) would be tolerable;18-105 is better; 18-135, even better. But I've used an 18-55 plus 60-300 pairing and for me, it sucks. There's just too much happening out there that's best seen in the 17-70 range, which is luscious territory for 'scapes, portraits, groups, you name it.

And more reach is sometimes vital. Some stuff can only be captured with a 200-250-300mm lens. A non-disruptive pairing might be the DA17-70 plus DA55-300. But that's expensive. That's why I love the DA18-250, the whole range all in one swoop. If I'm somewhere new, I'll get context shots at 18mm, grab details at 250mm, and do whatever I want in between. Then the next day I'll be back with a fast 28 or 50 or 85 or 135, whatever seems appropriate for what that place has to offer.

IMHO such a superzoom is the best way to get a feel for the kinds of photography that grab our interest. I vote for the Sigma 18-200.
Hi RioRicco, what do you think about the IQ in the superzooms as mentioned by KxBlaze in post 13 above. And also people say in many older threads about an ideal maximum FL in a zoom to be 4x-5x of the minimum FL in the zooms to get a decent IQ.
Does this in anyway make ur images taken with the superzooms to be used only as reference shots and not main shots? Infact I had an old Tamron (72mm thread size) 28-200 which I recently sold it going by the 4x arguements I see and also that it was huge. Originally brought if for around $60 to keep it as backup and for use in adverse weather conditions but then I was not so happy with the bokeh and stuff and not good in indoor light conditions, as I thought instead I could use my point and shoot to get those kind of quality. Please advice.

08-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
IMHO such a superzoom is the best way to get a feel for the kinds of photography that grab our interest. I vote for the Sigma 18-200.
Totally agree, I have a 18-200 Sigma, and have recently purchased a 17-70 Sigma which I really enjoy using as it seems to cover 90% of my shooting requirements, and on my wish list is a 70-200 f 2.8. If I had purchased the twin lens kit I would then have two redundant lenses, this way I only have one and as I stated before, if I am travelling light I take the 18-200 and have most situations covered.
08-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #18
Caro

Thank you!

Thanks all for your feedback. It's much appreciated.

Looking at the Tamron options now.
08-06-2011, 02:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
Hi RioRicco, what do you think about the IQ in the superzooms as mentioned by KxBlaze in post 13 above. And also people say in many older threads about an ideal maximum FL in a zoom to be 4x-5x of the minimum FL in the zooms to get a decent IQ.
If you read reviews of the DA18-250 you'll see many saying that its IQ is very good. I think mine is very good; that's why it's my basic lens, and my other ~215 lenses are all specialty tools. Zooms are necessarily compromises; you get the best IQ with 2x zooms, like the very inexpensive (used) F35-70. I recently saw it BIN on eBay for US$20! Some 4x zooms are described as a "bag of primes" with excellent IQ; but these are generally quite costly.

How good is the DA18-250? Good enough that some photographers make their livings with it. Benjikan, our resident fashion photographer here, says he uses it (and other lenses) for magazine cover shoots. One member here compared his expensive DA*60-250 with his daughter's DA18-250 and said that the main difference is, she sells pictures and he doesn't!

QuoteQuote:
Does this in anyway make ur images taken with the superzooms to be used only as reference shots and not main shots?
Not at all. I mean that I use the 18-250 to see all that's in a place; then I return with other lenses to concentrate on specific features. So I might wander around San Francisco with the 18-250 during the day; then shoot an 85/2 or 50/1.4 in the evening; or shoot discreet daytime street portraits in Chinatown with a tiny 100/4.5; or pick-off faces around Fisherman's Wharf with a 500/8 mirror.

No, I don't use the 18-250 for wide-open landscape shots at 18mm -- but it's a good street lens there, locked-down to 18mm in P mode, "shooting from the hip". And at 24-200/8 it's good for 'scapes. My general-purpose zooms are the Tamron 10-24 for very small spaces, and the 18-250 for everything else.

QuoteQuote:
Infact I had an old Tamron (72mm thread size) 28-200 which I recently sold it going by the 4x arguements I see and also that it was huge. Originally brought if for around $60 to keep it as backup and for use in adverse weather conditions but then I was not so happy with the bokeh and stuff and not good in indoor light conditions, as I thought instead I could use my point and shoot to get those kind of quality. Please advice.
The 18-250 is a MAJOR improvement on that 28-200. I had one; I didn't think it was *bad*, but it just didn't compare with the 18-250, so I sold it to a member here who says she's happy with it. The 18-250 is just in a different league. No, it's not a DA*3x or 4x zoom, and it's not priced like those either. But it's a great lens for situations where I don't know what to expect.

08-06-2011, 03:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...No, I don't use the 18-250 for wide-open landscape shots at 18mm -- but it's a good street lens there, locked-down to 18mm in P mode, "shooting from the hip". And at 24-200/8 it's good for 'scapes. My general-purpose zooms are the Tamron 10-24 for very small spaces, and the 18-250 for everything else....
Thanks RioRicco for that as it must solve my dilema as I wanted something on the super wide and something for longer reach. I was thinking about 55-300 but again i will need to get hold of a wide lens somehow to fill the gap. Now it is between those 3 now for my research.

When you say in the quote above, you don't use 18mm for landscape - can u please elaborate on this.
08-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
When you say in the quote above, you don't use 18mm for landscape - can u please elaborate on this.
I generally don't shoot 'scapes at 18/3.5 because that's the weak spot for the 18-55 and 18-250. It's fine if the 'scape is background and a compelling subject in in front. But "widest and wide-open" is where edges suffer most. Both these lenses are edge-to-edge rather good at 24/4, very good at 24/8. Extremes are weakest.

'Scapes without a close subject usually demand thicker DOF and better edge IQ than 18/3.5 provides. There's slight barrel distortion at 18-22mm that's easily fixed in PP. But this 18/3.5 weak spot is relative -- IMHO with a compelling subject occupying the frame, the edges may not matter. If edges matter, don't shoot at 18/3.5.
08-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the DSLR club

You have received some excellent advice, this being a forum Iíll add my thoughts. Itís difficult to recommend Ďoneí lens without knowing what your primary photography will be. I expect you will use your new camera for candid pictures of family. With this in mind I suggest the Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG ASP Macro. Excellent fast indoor/outdoor lens and used for 90% of family, holiday, group and some landscape pictures. If you are wanting a zoom consider the Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5..6 ED AL [IF] DC WR. Use it -Learn it, after about a year, purchase other lenses. Something you need to be aware of, SLR = LBA.

Have fun with your new Kr!

SLR (Single Lens Reflex)
LBA (Lens Buying Addiction)