Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
Doug Rees

Pentax K-5

Hi, I bought a Pentax K-5 from B & H which I got my hands yesterday. I don't know if there is a fault with the camera or if it is normal. Here is the 'problem'. When I move the camera in a smooth motion side to side and end to end in both axis, there is a noise coming internally from the camera as well as a feel that something is moving on the inside.

Is this normal or a fault. Should I return it?

Regards, Doug Rees

Last edited by Peter Zack; 08-16-2011 at 02:25 AM. Reason: removed email address.
08-16-2011, 02:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doug the camera is fine and working as it should. They all do this. The reason is the sensor "floats" because of the SR (anti shake). The sensor moves at high speed to adjust for body/lens shake and when not in use can move around a tiny bit.

Don't worry about it.

Oh and I removed your email address unless you like getting spam, you shouldn't directly post that on the web.
08-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IIRC, if you're panning a lot - tracking something moving side-to-side, you want to turn off the shake reduction and rely on a fast shutter speed to get best results.
08-16-2011, 06:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is as Peter Zack explains.
Are you using LiveView (that is the front display) to aim and shoot?
Try using the old fashion optical viewfinder.

You'll find the same behaviour when taking video with shake reduction enabled.

Bert