Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
Unregistered
Guest




Serial number and Date of Manufacture

Dear Forum,

I want to ask if there is any corelation between the serial number on a piece of Pentax equipment and its date of manufacture? Did they use certain number combinations for different years?

James

08-23-2011, 04:48 AM   #2
Junior Member
guppy350's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: guernsey
Photos: Albums
Posts: 40
Hi James,
I imagine their would be some relation between the serial number and it's date of manufacturing. I would of thought, say for cameras, the higher the number, the newer it will be. I think they keep a data log of each model (newish ones, when computers had the ability to store data reliably!!) sold (via it's serial number) and when that particular one was made and what it is. So if you want to find out when your product was made just email or phone up Pentax-support and they may be able to help. They will probably have some code determining what was made when, unfortunately I haven't the foggiest what that code may be!! They may even have batch codes for lots of products sent out at once. Or possibly the codes may even be able to tell you who you bought it through (Amazon etc...)
Hope this helps.
Bertie
08-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,552
Take a look at our serial number database:

Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

There is a correlation, although the index is below 1 as there are a few exceptions from time to time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,264
I've always been of the opinion that Pentax serial numbers were drawn at random like lottery tickets.
I've never really seen any correlation between number and manufacture date, although some have thought that they found a correlation with the K5 and sensor stains.

08-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 43
This whole business of serial numbers and manufacture date was clarified for me by a supervisor at Pentax service in Arizona. My original new K-5 had a serial no. of 39xxxx with manufacture date of January 2011. You can find this info on Photome, by the way. The camera died after I used it on a rainy day, the reason remains unknown. I sent it in for repair under warranty, and they replaced it with another unit, serial no. 38xxxxx, which was listed on this forum's data base as one with a defective sensor. The manufacture date, however, was February, 2011. So, I now have what is technically a refurbished unit, with a body from an earlier batch than my original camera, but with newer internal guts, so to speak. If you are purchasing a brand new camera, the serial no. and manufacture date should be sequential. However, if the camera has an older serial no. with a newer manufacture date, chances are it is a refurbished unit.
06-07-2019, 04:02 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
SharkyCA's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Carleton Place, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 309
To make a long story short: I recently had my K-70 serviced for "Diaphragm Control Block Failure" I had them send me back the old part and wanted to check the manufacture date of the camera against the "date stamps" on the part.

I was directed here from a Google search on "Pentax camera manufacture date" and thought the info here could use an update.

By following the link provided on this site you can check your shutter count AND MANUFACTURE DATE TOGETHER!
Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
Attached Images
 
06-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,561
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
To make a long story short: I recently had my K-70 serviced for "Diaphragm Control Block Failure" I had them send me back the old part and wanted to check the manufacture date of the camera against the "date stamps" on the part.

I was directed here from a Google search on "Pentax camera manufacture date" and thought the info here could use an update.

By following the link provided on this site you can check your shutter count AND MANUFACTURE DATE TOGETHER!
Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
EXIFTool GUI or any competent EXIF reader will give you the same data.
06-08-2019, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
On Hiatus. Back Later.
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Flyover Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,446
I think it is fairly well established that Pentax assigned a block of serial numbers for a batch of planned production going back to the film era. What has never been successfully established is whether there is any product or date coding within the numbers. Pentax seems to have simply selected an open block of numbers sufficient for the number of units in a batch with no apparent consideration of what product or even category (camera / lens) was assigned the number block.

Here’s a link to a detailed serial number study by Takumar Field Guide for the Super-Takumar 50/1.4 8-element and then 7-element that illustrates the point.

I imagine the numbering for more recent cameras and lenses is somewhat more rational but they still seem to lack product and date coding.


Last edited by monochrome; 06-09-2019 at 05:59 AM.
06-08-2019, 06:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
SharkyCA's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Carleton Place, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 309
QuoteOriginally posted by Unregistered Quote
Dear Forum,

I want to ask if there is any corelation between the serial number on a piece of Pentax equipment and its date of manufacture? Did they use certain number combinations for different years?

James
QuoteOriginally posted by guppy350 Quote
Hi James,
I imagine their would be some relation between the serial number and it's date of manufacturing. I would of thought, say for cameras, the higher the number, the newer it will be. I think they keep a data log of each model (newish ones, when computers had the ability to store data reliably!!) sold (via it's serial number) and when that particular one was made and what it is. So if you want to find out when your product was made just email or phone up Pentax-support and they may be able to help. They will probably have some code determining what was made when, unfortunately I haven't the foggiest what that code may be!! They may even have batch codes for lots of products sent out at once. Or possibly the codes may even be able to tell you who you bought it through (Amazon etc...)
Hope this helps.
Bertie
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Take a look at our serial number database:

Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

There is a correlation, although the index is below 1 as there are a few exceptions from time to time.
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I've always been of the opinion that Pentax serial numbers were drawn at random like lottery tickets.
I've never really seen any correlation between number and manufacture date, although some have thought that they found a correlation with the K5 and sensor stains.
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwibird Quote
This whole business of serial numbers and manufacture date was clarified for me by a supervisor at Pentax service in Arizona. My original new K-5 had a serial no. of 39xxxx with manufacture date of January 2011. You can find this info on Photome, by the way. The camera died after I used it on a rainy day, the reason remains unknown. I sent it in for repair under warranty, and they replaced it with another unit, serial no. 38xxxxx, which was listed on this forum's data base as one with a defective sensor. The manufacture date, however, was February, 2011. So, I now have what is technically a refurbished unit, with a body from an earlier batch than my original camera, but with newer internal guts, so to speak. If you are purchasing a brand new camera, the serial no. and manufacture date should be sequential. However, if the camera has an older serial no. with a newer manufacture date, chances are it is a refurbished unit.
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
EXIFTool GUI or any competent EXIF reader will give you the same data.
I am aware of that Larry, thanks.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, date, pentax help
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Picture me question/lens actuations/Date of manufacture CEWren Pentax K-5 7 07-27-2011 02:58 AM
Suggestion Serial number database: Mfr date lavascript Site Suggestions and Help 8 02-01-2011 03:26 PM
D-BG2 Serial Number ... Where is it? jpzk Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 11-22-2010 09:35 PM
camera's date of manufacture? samsung Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 08-27-2009 10:56 AM
DA* 50-135mm serial number hyyz Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 08-27-2009 10:26 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top