Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
Unregistered

Serial number and Date of Manufacture

Dear Forum,

I want to ask if there is any corelation between the serial number on a piece of Pentax equipment and its date of manufacture? Did they use certain number combinations for different years?

James

08-23-2011, 04:48 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Hi James,
I imagine their would be some relation between the serial number and it's date of manufacturing. I would of thought, say for cameras, the higher the number, the newer it will be. I think they keep a data log of each model (newish ones, when computers had the ability to store data reliably!!) sold (via it's serial number) and when that particular one was made and what it is. So if you want to find out when your product was made just email or phone up Pentax-support and they may be able to help. They will probably have some code determining what was made when, unfortunately I haven't the foggiest what that code may be!! They may even have batch codes for lots of products sent out at once. Or possibly the codes may even be able to tell you who you bought it through (Amazon etc...)
Hope this helps.
Bertie
08-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take a look at our serial number database:

Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

There is a correlation, although the index is below 1 as there are a few exceptions from time to time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I've always been of the opinion that Pentax serial numbers were drawn at random like lottery tickets.
I've never really seen any correlation between number and manufacture date, although some have thought that they found a correlation with the K5 and sensor stains.

08-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
This whole business of serial numbers and manufacture date was clarified for me by a supervisor at Pentax service in Arizona. My original new K-5 had a serial no. of 39xxxx with manufacture date of January 2011. You can find this info on Photome, by the way. The camera died after I used it on a rainy day, the reason remains unknown. I sent it in for repair under warranty, and they replaced it with another unit, serial no. 38xxxxx, which was listed on this forum's data base as one with a defective sensor. The manufacture date, however, was February, 2011. So, I now have what is technically a refurbished unit, with a body from an earlier batch than my original camera, but with newer internal guts, so to speak. If you are purchasing a brand new camera, the serial no. and manufacture date should be sequential. However, if the camera has an older serial no. with a newer manufacture date, chances are it is a refurbished unit.
« mr | K5 focus motor »