Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
Stephen

K5 focus motor

I have a K5 and a K10D along with 4 sigma lenses, 10/20, 24/70, 70/200 and a 170/500. All 4 lenses work on the K10, all 4 lenses used to work on k5, from one shoot to the other the only lens that would work on the K5 is the 70/200. When I try focusing with the other 3 lenses I hear the autofocus motor whizz forwards and backups a few times and nothing else happens. I suspect it's the camera but why does it work with 1 lens and not the others?
I had updated the k5 firmware a number of weeks ago and have shot a few hunderd fotos with the K5 using mainly the 24/70 lens, so I don't think that firmware is the problem.
I've cleaned the contacts, changed batteries etc, etc.
Has anybody run across this problem?

regards,
Stephen

08-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
.... but the lenses all work on the K10 still? Are these HSM Lenses?

08-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Stephen

JeffJS,
in reply to your question.

The lenses are
Sigma 10/20 f4 - 5.6 DC EX
Sigma 24/70 f2.8 EX DC
Sigma 70/200 f2.8 Macro HSM EX
Sigma 170/500 f5 - 6.3 APO

They all used to work on the K5 and all still work on the K10D.
The only one that now works on the K5 is the Sigma 70/200 f2.8 Macro HSM EX

With the other 3 lenses when I half press the shutter release button on the K5 I hear the auto focus motor whiz 3-6 times then the hexa light in the viewfinder starts to blink telling me that I'm out-of-focus. There is no difference using single-focus or continuous-focus.
The 70/200 just focuses and the hexa licht turns on and stays on.
The current firmware version in the K5 is 1.03

I've got a feeling I'm going to have to send the K5 in for maintenance/warranty.
08-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It sounds like the autofocusing shaft is not engaging with the lens shaft. Try cycling the focus lever a coupla times and then look at the mount to see if the shaft end is bunged up in any way and sticks out far enough to engage the lens counterpart. Compare the K5 Kmount AF shaft area with that of the K10D Kmount AF shaft area. they ought to look the same, i would think. If the AF shaft end looks the same as it does on the K10D, then there probably is an internal problem between the AF motor and the AF shaft - have to send it in i think.

The irony here is that the SDM/HSM contacts are the only ones working

Sorry, you may not get the joke, but others might. Best luck with this.

08-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
It sounds like the autofocusing shaft is not engaging with the lens shaft. Try cycling the focus lever a coupla times and then look at the mount to see if the shaft end is bunged up in any way and sticks out far enough to engage the lens counterpart. Compare the K5 Kmount AF shaft area with that of the K10D Kmount AF shaft area. they ought to look the same, i would think. If the AF shaft end looks the same as it does on the K10D, then there probably is an internal problem between the AF motor and the AF shaft - have to send it in i think.

The irony here is that the SDM/HSM contacts are the only ones working

Sorry, you may not get the joke, but others might. Best luck with this.
I get the joke (it's usually the other way around)..

Stephen, follow Phils advice here. Take the lens off and make sure that the AF drive is completely coming out of the lens mount in AF-S and/or AF-C. Check to make sure that the lenses are completely locked on and engaged. The focus ring should offer a lot of resistance to being turned when mounted on the camera but don't Force them unless they have quick shift capability. Do you have any Other screw drive AF lenses you can check? I would blame contacts but you say you hear the motor spinning. I'm assuming here that the lenses are doing Nothing at that point..

08-25-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
Stephen

The little "blade" extends in AF-S & AF-C mode and retracts when in manual focus mode.
Tried an old Sigma 70-30 APO lens on the K10, while the camera is switched off and in AF-S mode I can turn the focus ring without too much effort, of course not as easily when the lens is not connected. When I try this on the K5 I cannot turn the focus ring, I have tried using a tiny bit more force but there is absolutely no movement, and I'm not going to try to force it.
With the K10 I can even turn the AF-blade by grasping it between my fingernails. On the K5, no movement.

So I guess the AF-blade axle has jammed or so and won't rotate, it will move in and out, and the motor is working because I hear it whizzing.
So it's back to the shop with the camera.