Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Unregistered

DSLR Novice

Hello Folks,

I recently purchased a Tamron 28-300mm for my Pentax K-5. I am still in the process of learning the functions on my camera, so I do need some help and advice from time to time.
How do I get a decent bokeh from this lens? Do I leave the aperture ring set to 'A', or should I remove it from the 'A' setting on the lens and turn it to the largest (3.5mm) setting and then set all other parameters manually? Is there a better way which will allow me to use some of the automatic features (such as shutter speed, ISO, etc.) ?
I do know that reducing the depth of field is what results in a nice bokeh, and that one needs to have the aperture wide open and move closer to the subject, but so far with this lens I have been unable to isolate an object and have it in focus, while everything in front or behind is out of focus.
I would appreciate any constructive advice. I am very new to dslr cameras in general, but one has to start somewhere, and I cannot afford to go to the Brooks Institute of Photography. Their prices, gulp, are quite out of my budget. Thanks in advance.

08-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leave the aperture ring in 'A' mode and instead use the rear e-dial to manually override the aperture. If you choose to use the aperture ring, the camera will no longer know the aperture setting, and you would have to treat the lens as a manual lens and meter accordingly. Higher numbers will give you more DOF, while lower numbers will give you less DOF.

This article might prove helpful:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/62522-exposure-shutt...rture-iso.html

If you need further help, I'd recommend you register and post around in our beginner's section!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-03-2011, 05:00 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Unregistered Quote
Hello Folks,

I recently purchased a Tamron 28-300mm for my Pentax K-5. I am still in the process of learning the functions on my camera, so I do need some help and advice from time to time.
How do I get a decent bokeh from this lens?
  1. Throw the Tamron 28-300 away, this is a crappy lens for a K-5.
  2. Get a Pentax DA 2,4/70mm Limited.
  3. Set ISO100, Av-Mode.
  4. Choose f2,4 then make some shots.
  5. Fasten seat belt, because that bokeh will blow you away while reviewing.

09-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Consider that the lens in question may not be capable of producing good bokeh. Anyway, open the lens to it's wider apertures (smaller numbers) and then try various focal lengths. You might hit on a combination that is OK.

09-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Inactive Account

You already know that the 'bokeh' or rather DOF is a function of lens opening vs focal distance. By the way, it's f3.5, not 3.5mm. To get nice looking bokeh, first your main subject has to be in good sharp focus so it doesn't blend into the background. Many superzooms such as your tamron may not be capable of that at f3.5 (which is probably at the 28mm end). Your lens is the f3.5-f6.3 lens? That means at 300mm, the widest aperture is f6.3 (just to point it out). Many lenses need to be stopped down a couple stops in order to achieve maximum performance. At the 28mm end that would mean f5.6-f8 and at the 300mm end, f8-f11 or thereabouts. From there, get as close as you can (for playing with bokeh) and take your photo. Play with the exposure and exposure compensation until you get something you like. Many of the 'bokeh' shots you see are helped with post processing in photoshop or similar.

09-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
I do know that reducing the depth of field is what results in a nice bokeh, and that one needs to have the aperture wide open and move closer to the subject, but so far with this lens I have been unable to isolate an object and have it in focus, while everything in front or behind is out of focus.
To isolate the subject with a less than ideal lens, you don't have to throw the one you have away.
1. stand fairly close to the subject
2. make sure whatever is behind the subject is far away. You just need to experiment with distances until you get it right.

See the link below for some pics with a cheaper lens[ f3.5-6.3]. The first and last pics have bokeh. The bokeh is not great but good ehough for starting out.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/153333-sigma-18...3-5-6-3-a.html