Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Phil Payne

Best UVFilters

Can you recommend the best UV filter for a Pentax 15mm f4 Ltd lens. Thanks.

09-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Phil Payne Quote
Hoya Pro-1 Super HMC UV without a doubt.

Short of Pentax's SMC coating it has the best, multi-layered coating (and on both sides). When you look at the filter it has so little reflection that it looks like there is no glass in the filter ring! As a bonus, the Pro-1 version is super thin to avoid vignetting on ultra-wide lenses.
09-07-2011, 02:17 AM   #3
Forum Member

Those tests, while a bit outdated, sort of confirm Spock's suggestion: UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com and UV filters test - supplement - Introduction - Lenstip.com

I think I would go for this Hoya Pro-1 Super HMC. The only question remains - do you really need a UV filter as even the best one introduces some quality loss?
09-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Howdy Quote
The only question remains - do you really need a UV filter as even the best one introduces some quality loss?
When you have had a lens pecked by an ostrich (as I have) or simply scuffed the front element putting on a lens cap, you will be glad to have a (replaceable) filter protecting the front element.

Many times, I have wanted to buy a used lens only to decide against it because the description says "some small scuff marks on front element". I know it shouldn't matter - but it does to me!

09-07-2011, 04:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Hoya Pro-1 Super HMC UV without a doubt.
The Lenstip tests found the HMC was just as good as the Pro and far cheaper...

UV filters test - Description of the results and summary - Lenstip.com
09-07-2011, 04:38 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
As it seems the UV question was answered, can I semi-hijack and ask what about ND/grad filters? I'm looking at Tiffen (hard to find over here), B+W, and Marumi... are there any other brands (screw on only) that are out there?
09-07-2011, 04:40 AM   #7
Forum Member

cats_five, please excuse my lack of reading comprehension, but could you point me to the test of Hoya Pro-1 Super HMC filter on the Lenstip.com? I can only see the Hoya Super HMC (non-Pro-1 version) or Hoya Pro-1 Digital MC (no HMC there)...

09-07-2011, 05:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You are right, no Pro-1 Super, but the HMC performed as well as the two more expensive Hoya filters so I reckon it's still a great buy. And if you look at Hoya website, the 'Super' keyword doesn't seem to appear so it's a bit of a mystery to me as to what those filters actually are.
09-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Howdy Quote
cats_five, please excuse my lack of reading comprehension, but could you point me to the test of Hoya Pro-1 Super HMC filter on the Lenstip.com? I can only see the Hoya Super HMC (non-Pro-1 version) or Hoya Pro-1 Digital MC (no HMC there)...
The only difference between pro-1 and ordinary Super HMC is thinness - the coatings are the same.
09-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil Payne Quote
The best one would be the one that stays sitting on the shelf at the camera store because they aren't good for anything.
09-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I go to beaches or sand dunes with a lens like this, I always put a filter on it. Wind can carry a lot of fine sands. If wind is strong, it could cause damage to lens coatings either by direct sand contact or by careless cleaning afterwards. Those sands are super fine.

I have seen an FA31 whose front element has lots of coating inperfection upon close inspection. I don't think they are gonig to affect the images it captures, but they do affect the lens value.

Of course, I only use good filters that I can live with for both expense and optical results. I use Marumi Super DHG filters and they are not worse than any other filters, IMO.
09-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Francis Quote
As it seems the UV question was answered, can I semi-hijack and ask what about ND/grad filters? I'm looking at Tiffen (hard to find over here), B+W, and Marumi... are there any other brands (screw on only) that are out there?
I have one Hoya MC ND filter (2 stop) and I'm buying another (3 stop). Seems like a good value at $25. I'm not looking at grad ND filters unless I additionally go with a square filter system also. And that's not happening anytime soon.

I don't own a UV filter but just like any filter it has a time/place to be used (sometimes) and a time/place to not (most of the time). But if you do buy one then only buy the best since I'm guessing you're not using a crappy and maybe cheap lens. No reason to be cheap with your filter.
09-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Many times, I have wanted to buy a used lens only to decide against it because the description says "some small scuff marks on front element". I know it shouldn't matter - but it does to me!
Ok, but let's put this in perspective - we're talking about sacrificing IQ for cosmetic reasons. The loss in quality from the filter is assuredly worse than the loss in quality from the potential scuff mark the filter is designed to prevent.
09-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Ok, but let's put this in perspective - we're talking about sacrificing IQ for cosmetic reasons. The loss in quality from the filter is assuredly worse than the loss in quality from the potential scuff mark the filter is designed to prevent.
True, but in all practicality, I've done a few experiments with and without filters and never seen any image degradation from using a (quality) filter in all practicality. The only issue I noticed is a perhaps bit of extra lens flare with bright light sources in night shots.

I have bought and sold a lot of lenses and there is no doubt that front element damage reduces lens values markedly. Try convincing a potential buyer that a scratch, scuff, or 'cleaning mark' won't affect image quality or the value of a lens!
09-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yep, if you buy lenses to sell them, that's an important consideratipn, no doubt. Me, I buy them to shoot with!